SD card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rghto chaps

It seems that a new card (UHS-1 as opposed to the class 10 that was in it ) has sorted the problem.

I still find it bizare that my mac could find and read the card as could my windows PC but Garmin express could not and neither would mapinstall

Any way i am now sorted but it is an expensive way of curing problems that did not otherwise exist except in Garmin world

Is this said old card faulty or can you now use it in other devices with no problems. Just asking as it may save people wasting or throwing out their old card if it is still useable.

Is this said old card faulty or can you now use it in other devices with no problems. Just asking as it may save people wasting or throwing out their old card if it is still useable.

I have just put it in a phone and it is working fine !

As an update Garmin express still is not finding it but mapinstall is

I have a Sandisk SD card which works fine in my devices but not in a GoPro camera even though it's formatted correctly. A sifferent brand of card works fine. Seems like there're very temperamental.

Just a point worth making about Macs. After formatting the card you must empty the trash before ejecting the card.

I have just put it in a phone and it is working fine !

As an update Garmin express still is not finding it but mapinstall is

So, if I read it right. Your old card - otherwise unaltered since your problem - is now visible and working in all and anything, except Garmin Express?

I assume that your new card is visible and working in all and everything, including Garmin Express?

So, if I read it right. Your old card - otherwise unaltered since your problem - is now visible and working in all and anything, except Garmin Express?

I assume that your new card is visible and working in all and everything, including Garmin Express?

Almost

The old card works fine in a phone and can be read on all computers ( Mac and PC) the music on it plays in I tunes ans WMP but cannot be recognised by eithe mapinstall or express.

The new card ( Samsung 16GB UHS1 ) works with mapinstall but not garmin express which i find most bizarre.

What is the latest map number for the Europe NTS as map install seems to be giving me a lower version than i was expecting ?

Just trying to make sense of all this nonsense.
i should add that i have, 5 sat navs, 2 cameras, 2 video cameras 4 windows laptops with internal readers. over 20 sd cards of varying makes and sizes and speed, 4 pcs all on windows one on xp, one on 7, and two on 10, and have never had an issue of this type with any of them, i can swap any card to any device and they just work. i know i am no mac expert or even a garmin expert, but something does not seem right here, is there something that mac owners are or are not doing thats causing this issue, or is there an issue with the garmin software and mac combination, i do not believe this last statement as there are to many people that it works for, for it to be software/machine incompatability, and the fact that the OP now says express still will not recognise the new card but mapinstal does, i cant see this being a card issue.
Not having used a Mac or had anything to do with them, is there something fundamental that people who are having this trouble are missing.

Just trying to make sense of all this nonsense.
i should add that i have, 5 sat navs, 2 cameras, 2 video cameras 4 windows laptops with internal readers. over 20 sd cards of varying makes and sizes and speed, 4 pcs all on windows one on xp, one on 7, and two on 10, and have never had an issue of this type with any of them, i can swap any card to any device and they just work. i know i am no mac expert or even a garmin expert, but something does not seem right here, is there something that mac owners are or are not doing thats causing this issue, or is there an issue with the garmin software and mac combination, i do not believe this last statement as there are to many people that it works for, for it to be software/machine incompatability, and the fact that the OP now says express still will not recognise the new card but mapinstal does, i cant see this being a card issue.
Not having used a Mac or had anything to do with them, is there something fundamental that people who are having this trouble are missing.

This is what is bugging me too

The card ( new one ) works in mapinstall on both the PC and the mac but garmin express on either mac or PC will not find it ?? Both cards are readable by mac and PC as standalone cards in the appropriate reader.
Now I am a big fan of Garmin and basecamp etc but this is very frustrating TBH

I have been using the Original card since the arrival of my NAV 5 2 years or so ago and doing the updates as and when with no previous problems ( so I dont think/doubt that I am doing anything wrong) I.E updates have just gone on to the card as the internal memory is, as we all know, too small.

The only thing I can actually think of is that Garmin express itself did an update before i started the map update.

Whatever it is they (these Mac owners) are doing or missing - or having done to them - I cannot work out.

Whatever it is they (these Mac owners) are doing or missing - or having done to them - I cannot work out.

Actually I have just had a bit of a thought !

I may have been a bit thick So would value an opinion ( not on whether i am thick) but

The only maps i had installed ( see a past thread) were the UK and Ireland ( this was to save space as previously mentioned ) I am attempting to put the full Europe maps back on so....

I need to put them on with Mapinstall before I can use Garmin express to actually update them .......... even though Express has the option to change the installed map which is what i was doing ........

Still do not see why express cant see the card though .....

I dont think that is an issue, if you have the full mapping on the mac then mapinstal will install what you ask it to (you dont have to download, unless you have not got the full mapping on the Mac). garmin express will instal the maps from the garmin servers (you will have to download them) to either mac or the nav or both as long as you select where and what you wish to instal. when you use express i would chose to install to both mac and nav or in your case mac and sd card

For the Nav V, Garmin Navigator CN Europe NTU 2017.1

It is trying to give me NTU 2015.4 which is silly as i have 2017.1 on the mac and the PC

I dont think that is an issue, if you have the full mapping on the mac then mapinstal will install what you ask it to (you dont have to download, unless you have not got the full mapping on the Mac). garmin express will instal the maps from the garmin servers (you will have to download them) to either mac or the nav or both as long as you select where and what you wish to instal. when you use express i would chose to install to both mac and nav or in your case mac and sd card

Yep tried that

I feel a clean install of Garmin express, basecamp etc is on the cards here.

The issue is perplexing particularly as i am not a complete Garmin IT numpty but i will sort it thanks chaps

Quote redrik (The only maps i had installed ( see a past thread) were the UK and Ireland ( this was to save space as previously mentioned ) I am attempting to put the full Europe maps back on so....
I need to put them on with Mapinstall before I can use Garmin express to actually update them .......... even though Express has the option to change the installed map which is what i was doing ........
Still do not see why express cant see the card though .....)
did you install the complete map set on the mac and then just install uk an ireland to the nav, or uk and ireland to both mac and nav if you had installed the full maping to mac then as you already are aware you have no need to re download them. if you are downloading a new map set to install to the mac and Nav, as long as you select the full map set to go on both the mac and your nav (sd card) it should install and overwrite whats already there
you should not need to re install anything. I have wiped all mapping from a unit and it has installed the new map set with no issue,

Quote redrik (The only maps i had installed ( see a past thread) were the UK and Ireland ( this was to save space as previously mentioned ) I am attempting to put the full Europe maps back on so....
Still do not see why express cant see the card though .....)
did you install the complete map set on the mac and then just install uk an ireland to the nav, or uk and ireland to both mac and nav if you had installed the full maping to mac then as you already are aware you have no need to re download them. if you are downloading a new map set to install to the mac and Nav, as long as you select the full map set to go on both the mac and your nav (sd card) it should install and overwrite whats already there
you should not need to re install anything. I have wiped all mapping from a unit and it has installed the new map set with no issue,

That appears to be the problem in as much as it won't install the map set ! Feck knows why as i have done it a few times before so it looks like a complete re install of the maps which is no big deal just an overnight down load and then see if the things will go on !

This is all why I don't update my maps at all on my Nav V ... I leave well alone :rob

After all, the roads I'm interested in have been around five hundred years :D

:beerjug:

Update ( starting to dislike that word)

Did a completely clean install of basecamp and updated the maps on it. a clean install of Garmin Express and map install ( might as well do the lot) Hard re set of the device just for good measure.

The result is that Garmin express still will not find the new and top spec SD card ( or the old one that it would find previous to this issue) All computers, Mac and windows 10 and windows 7 will find the card and read and write to/ from it. Mapinstall finds it ok so all maps are nowon the device using mapinstall having been updated in basecamp/Express.

I have no idea what the issue is and feel a painful call to Garmin customer diservice bods just on the off chance that there is a glitch in the most recent version of express.

All problems have a solution and this seems to have been the best i could come up with and its worked so all is almost well

You might as well contact Garmin, they are usually pretty helpful or try the dedicated Garmin forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom