Commuting into London

Yawngoo

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a question.
I'm looking at buying a R1200GS and would welcome your comments and recommendations on various models as this would be the first one that I will own.
I will be using the bike for a daily commute of 90miles from Kent into central London, together with weekend trips / potential holidays.
I look forward to hearing your views.
Stu

I use my 2014 GSA LC to commute around the East all the time (not London) and even with the panniers on it's still possible to lane split/filter through traffic. However, when the roads are a bit narrower it can be more difficult. I used the bike to commute into central London this Sunday and whilst it was ok in the evening as there was very little traffic, getting into London in rush hour was a bit of a PITA. Riding in the bus lanes helped a lot. I'd say it's not ideal for rush in narrower lanes. I wouldn't want to do it very often.

No problem, have commuted on a assortment of GS's & GS Adventures for many years, currently using a WC GSA. Can be a bit big in town at times, but just get used to hanging back when needed.

I never bother with panniers though, just top box or rucksack.

Daily 5mile commute through London on a GSA LC: I enjoy every minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've see lots of dented alloy panniers on the M4 commute.

Commuting to London will be fine. Through London is another story if the lanes are narrow. I have to go through some congested parts to get out (SW to NW) and I am finding the GS a bit lardy and heavy with the start stop etc. Not width wise so much but just the constant start stop and at times I ride a little too progressively to lighten the frustration. Works well, but with so many knobs on their phone, lost, undertaking white man van etc it is actually a little stressful. I am looking at possibly getting a little winter hack to lighten the load/stress there must be on the GS.

My KTM 390 Duke is great for getting to (100 miles) and around London. Very small and light but powerful for its size.

I do the west london route it's more about timing than the vehicle.

Lots of big scooters in Paris so I guess they would work well in London.

Commuting to London will be fine. Through London is another story if the lanes are narrow. I have to go through some congested parts to get out (SW to NW) and I am finding the GS a bit lardy and heavy with the start stop etc. Not width wise so much but just the constant start stop and at times I ride a little too progressively to lighten the frustration. Works well, but with so many knobs on their phone, lost, undertaking white man van etc it is actually a little stressful. I am looking at possibly getting a little winter hack to lighten the load/stress there must be on the GS.

I can just see you and Hugo on one of these!:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 427
I like them. Just can't afford it. But I reckon they must be a hoot. Theft magnet too though here in the smoke I imagine

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I found my GS perfect when I commuted on it from Essex. But I work 5 mins from Liv St now so there's no real benefit to using the bike.

If I were going back to bike commuting, through, I'd start looking at T-Max's and similar. I wouldn't worry about the cosmetics as my first GS was all but destroyed cosmetically after years of bike bays and kerbs (and the odd drop!). The bay's look busier nowadays and bike shuffling seems much more common.

I have used a 2006 1200 GS for commuting into London since 2006 (doh) when I bought the bike new. Still using it but also have a 1200R now. 64K miles covered, the only reliability issues cropped up in the first year and were only minor. Using thema lot and putting big mileages on them does them good I reckon

How about the Vfr1200x DCT, auto box, so no worries about stop start, slimmer than the GS.

Always used the train in my commuter days; only ever used the bike to beat rail strikes - thankfully with secure parking at work.

Personally, if it had to be a bike, I think I would go for something a bit smaller/narrower/lighter/cheaper than the big GS. Plenty of choice about. That's why we see Deauvilles & all sorts of old rat shaft drive bikes being slowly run into the ground every day. I think my current choice, although it's chain (oiler sytem?) would be a Honda NC750X or maybe even an Integra.

..................... KEN

I started working in London in August. I took the train for the first two weeks which was as much as I could bear – since then I’ve been commuting on my R1150. It’s certainly an exciting start/end to the day along with being quicker and cheaper – although it is bloody dangerous. My commute is 20 miles of M1 followed by 10 miles of town riding. I honestly couldn’t think of a better bike for the trip – The 1150 has enough power, weather and wind protection for the motorway blast and it’s just about narrow enough and nimble enough for most of the town filtering work. I certainly wouldn’t go with panniers for commuting into London – topbox and/or backpack is best as you need to squeeze through some pretty tight gaps in order to make any kind of progress. Depending on where you work, it’s worth noting that the ultra low emission zone may have an impact on bikes pre July 2007 which will be the end of the 1100/1150’s for commuting. – if you’re looking to buy a bike specifically for commuting I’d look at a cheap 1100/1150 to start with then next year look to move to a 2008 R1200GS. It’s also well worth looking at the R1100R/R1150R – cheaper and just as suited to the task. Good luck:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom