Am I the only one who hates the transmission?

Gotta say had my 2014 lc gsa a couple of months with gsp and it does take some getting used to but coming from a kawasaki z there both as clunky in lower gears but higher gears are spot on

Ffs not another thread about the gearbox! I think most people accept It's not the best box they have ever used but the bike has so many great attributes you put up with it.I only realise it's not great when I take my ZZR1400 for a blast.

Maybe my issue is I am comparing it to my other BMW? Is the 800 and the 1200 so apples and oranges?

I find the gear box on the GSA great and the QSP great, don't use it from 1st to 2nd mind. If you thought a gear box was bad try a BMW K1600 which I just replaced for this bike. Now that was a rough gear box which loud noises going into every gear.. Very happy this one :)

I grew to hate the gearbox so much on my 14 GS LC that I sold it and bought an XR. The gearbox on this is superb compared but I really liked everything else about the GS.

Now BMW have updated the gearbox it's very likely I will buy another GS at some stage in the future if I've still got a license

I remember banging on in a thread somewhere about transmission, and the fact that for me the GS had a great motor, great telelever handling, great brakes, ergonomics, brilliant panniers etc, but that the joy of spanking a bike along a flowing A or B road, and the joy of blending speed with flow with good acceleration sense, lovely lines, bringing it all down for a corner and taking a gear .... was .... utterly ruined by it's shit transmission.

I got slated :D Some bloke quoted me and replied 'the transmission the BMW has it's one of its best bits' or something like that. (Toddy .... find the post .. !!!).

I'm not going to bang on about it now, it's ...... well its not very gracious. I've changed bikes so why come on here and slag it off ...

But the OP in my, if i may dare to say not so humble opinion (professional bike rider in one shape or another for over twenty years), is absolutely correct. The LC GS has many brilliant features, it really has. But its transmission, and in particular the way it copes with being taken from say 100mph to 25mph, out the corner and away again for me is a complete deal breaker.

Go and ride a 'Blade, A gsxr 1000, an R1 even an F800 (beautiful gear box in the F800) .... The way these bikes can modulate their power through brakes and gears is a joy. Gathering up 150+ BHP and controlling it seamlessly, bringing power down so smoothly whilst marrying gears and engine revs .... That's when I get off a bike with a smile. That's when you get off a bike and think 'That is a beautiful bike to ride'.

Is the LC GS a beautiful bike to ride? Sorry, Utterly let down by its God awful transmission.

I'll shut up now and won't say any more ... :D

Bodgineer will be around to tell you how to change gear.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My old 2014 GSLC was like that from 1,2,3,. My new October 2016 GSLC the gearbox is completely smooth, I don't have gear assist but I had a ride on the demo GSA with the new transmission and is brilliant. Reject the bike...I did that twice:D
PS. What did you get for $30000? The price here for a fully speck TE or black + all extras with panniers + GPS is around $21925 or£18000 :confused:

It would appear quite to spec one up over there to be that price or more

qWfg3BSEhDgQDHy33b7lkfwWBqlYQ8C9aAEu2pnZ7YztsBDb0ZXUFQ9Xd5CdsOJl__DOUZj95POr2KQ6zw0NowePlVfY1pxffqd4Ll698RdMzlc196mOkEWsrOKAiX56m4AMurmHz7FjYGW0Bx14ymqNGAi7q-9r98QLyZqMZ9qM0BxUFTFZeAleehnKxi9QC5QkvUPmODeJalcsOpRulz674pCko9QwzV-eNMZH-Fl5ZQ_B6a8BQmsCDJxGzfCLcL7MQcmpoksjqLaP4nLRiBuShN22tNb9yVyBZHTy4p_lk3V03naFE7t-GENi3E92ckH3JaftnNo8dpP7h3L-8tPssoe9UkGckw5cqWZRugrbnKYztvoGPmD67jDAGzFeUAMhNttracqqelopdKZZVx4JpvAkHFbUz2wCtjVXsjnPSQ9NreobCqo8UElg9gsUgJlf8TS6TmNhjBTgb7o_W_nxsDGmq1AjQlvjQBCYTcG9W-Kk8eqOy_iD-p8eGYqFXP4lStKEH7VWkJnvOaA19iziAQ62sb-uTeahJtxS8uxELAPQqQ88u5xLIMnVxqxyylileNDjaTLO03WnAcbgWTXeUwvMYxEtwdxG6-3QCVfK836EEJTW=w946-h768-no

It would appear quite to spec one up over there to be that price or more

qWfg3BSEhDgQDHy33b7lkfwWBqlYQ8C9aAEu2pnZ7YztsBDb0ZXUFQ9Xd5CdsOJl__DOUZj95POr2KQ6zw0NowePlVfY1pxffqd4Ll698RdMzlc196mOkEWsrOKAiX56m4AMurmHz7FjYGW0Bx14ymqNGAi7q-9r98QLyZqMZ9qM0BxUFTFZeAleehnKxi9QC5QkvUPmODeJalcsOpRulz674pCko9QwzV-eNMZH-Fl5ZQ_B6a8BQmsCDJxGzfCLcL7MQcmpoksjqLaP4nLRiBuShN22tNb9yVyBZHTy4p_lk3V03naFE7t-GENi3E92ckH3JaftnNo8dpP7h3L-8tPssoe9UkGckw5cqWZRugrbnKYztvoGPmD67jDAGzFeUAMhNttracqqelopdKZZVx4JpvAkHFbUz2wCtjVXsjnPSQ9NreobCqo8UElg9gsUgJlf8TS6TmNhjBTgb7o_W_nxsDGmq1AjQlvjQBCYTcG9W-Kk8eqOy_iD-p8eGYqFXP4lStKEH7VWkJnvOaA19iziAQ62sb-uTeahJtxS8uxELAPQqQ88u5xLIMnVxqxyylileNDjaTLO03WnAcbgWTXeUwvMYxEtwdxG6-3QCVfK836EEJTW=w946-h768-no

Fair point, but why anyone would spend that much on a bike without test riding for a few hours seems very strange.

I have a late 2015 built MY 2016 bike and yeah the first three gears and using the quickshifter are pretty rough. 3rd to 6th is very smooth but I just use the clutch in the lower gears and for me it's fine.

I'd like to have a go on the later built bikes where people are saying all the gears are smooth now when using the QS

Fair point, but why anyone would spend that much on a bike without test riding for a few hours seems very strange.

I rode mine for about 30mins but was really sold in the first couple of minutes. The rest of the time was spent testing things I despised about my previous bike.

Do get your point though and agree about a good test ride.

I remember banging on in a thread somewhere about transmission, and the fact that for me the GS had a great motor, great telelever handling, great brakes, ergonomics, brilliant panniers etc, but that the joy of spanking a bike along a flowing A or B road, and the joy of blending speed with flow with good acceleration sense, lovely lines, bringing it all down for a corner and taking a gear .... was .... utterly ruined by it's shit transmission.

I got slated :D Some bloke quoted me and replied 'the transmission the BMW has it's one of its best bits' or something like that. (Toddy .... find the post .. !!!).

I'm not going to bang on about it now, it's ...... well its not very gracious. I've changed bikes so why come on here and slag it off ...

But the OP in my, if i may dare to say not so humble opinion (professional bike rider in one shape or another for over twenty years), is absolutely correct. The LC GS has many brilliant features, it really has. But its transmission, and in particular the way it copes with being taken from say 100mph to 25mph, out the corner and away again for me is a complete deal breaker.

Go and ride a 'Blade, A gsxr 1000, an R1 even an F800 (beautiful gear box in the F800) .... The way these bikes can modulate their power through brakes and gears is a joy. Gathering up 150+ BHP and controlling it seamlessly, bringing power down so smoothly whilst marrying gears and engine revs .... That's when I get off a bike with a smile. That's when you get off a bike and think 'That is a beautiful bike to ride'.

Is the LC GS a beautiful bike to ride? Sorry, Utterly let down by its God awful transmission.

I'll shut up now and won't say any more ... :D

I agree totally with all of the above re my 14 LC

Not all GS LCs are the same though. A friend has had a 13 LC from new and his gearbox has always been great

Back
Top Bottom