What am I doing wrong?

TheDeadPrussian

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm new to this whole adventure bike thing, I've ridden on and off for 30 years, but recently took delivery of an R1250 Trophy GS Adventure - and I'm struggling with the weight of it... I've never dropped a bike in my entire ridding history (which includes some heavy bikes such as a H-D Street Glide that I owned for two years and an Electra Glide I rented in the US and did 1,500 miles on), but the GSA just seems to be more of a handful. Yesterday I toppled off it (left hand side went down) at a junction. My fault of course, uneven road surface and a significant camber that made the left hand side lower than the right. No damage other than a scratch or two on the engine bars and my pride, but it's just never happened to me before. I am finding a full fuel tank makes a significant difference to the balance etc.

I've watched a large number of YouTube videos about how best to handle the bike and tips for parking etc. but the shock of actually having to lay the thing down has me worried and my ego bruised!

So is this just part of GSA ownership or am I doing this all wrong? I'm six foot tall and can comfortable flat foot the bike and I'm fit and healthy and relatively strong.

It's just a case of getting used to the GSA and the seat height/weight combo. I have a lowered GS and at 5'7" and 11 stone that's enough for me. I dropped my original GS back in 2016 with SWMBO on the back because I didn't plan decisively what I was going to do when I came to a downhill off camber junction. Being prepared by shifting your bum across the seat so you only put 1 foot down (usually your left foot so you can cover the back brake with your right foot) to give you a tripod between your leg and the 2 wheels of the bike will give you a more stable position. If you don't need a full tank of fuel don't fill it up as that will help while you get used to your new bike. Good luck 👍

Hello All,
I'm new to this whole adventure bike thing, I've ridden on and off for 30 years, but recently took delivery of an R1250 Trophy GS Adventure - and I'm struggling with the weight of it... I've never dropped a bike in my entire ridding history (which includes some heavy bikes such as a H-D Street Glide that I owned for two years and an Electra Glide I rented in the US and did 1,500 miles on), but the GSA just seems to be more of a handful. Yesterday I toppled off it (left hand side went down) at a junction. My fault of course, uneven road surface and a significant camber that made the left hand side lower than the right. No damage other than a scratch or two on the engine bars and my pride, but it's just never happened to me before. I am finding a full fuel tank makes a significant difference to the balance etc.

I've watched a large number of YouTube videos about how best to handle the bike and tips for parking etc. but the shock of actually having to lay the thing down has me worried and my ego bruised!

So is this just part of GSA ownership or am I doing this all wrong? I'm six foot tall and can comfortable flat foot the bike and I'm fit and healthy and relatively strong.
There's somewhere like 9 inches difference in seat height between the examples you use. I'm the same, even though I can get me feet flat, it's different to getting feet flat with more bent knees. in some instances it's awkward until you get used to it, especially when the extra weight is high up, like pillion and extra fuel etc.

Just to back up what the others have said. A GSA or any other big adv bike is a whole different kettle of fish from an H-D and requires a bit of pre-planning when coming to a stand or man-handling around on poor surfaces or cambers. You say you've been riding for 30-odd years but not how much riding you've done recently. As we age it's easy to forget the effect ageing and a lifetime of injuries etc has on our bodies. I took up indoor rowing as a result of an OH medical warning about high BP and found as a side effect that it became way easier to handle my GSA with the resulting better upper body and leg strength. While I wasn't really unfit before I hadn't registered just how poor my general strength had become (for comparison I'm 63, 177cm and around 68kg).

Above all don't over-stress about it. If it goes over it's unlikely to get more than a minor scratch. So far I've done 61K on a 1200 GSA and although I've yet to drop it I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't come close a few times and I always keep an eye out for dips in the road etc when planning to stop.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the responses so far - I'm feeling a little more reassured. Most of my recent riding has been on a Honda CB1000R (naked bike) for the last couple of years, so quite different from the adventure bike genre which is a whole new experience! I love the GSA but was worried that perhaps I wouldn't get used to it...

I think so far the advice not to worry too much about dropping it (if and when it happens) and planning ahead are resonating with me. More practice required!

just a thought,, but check your tyre pressures and condition, i assume its a new bike but you didnt say, low pressures or badly worn tyres can have an effect especially at low walking pace speeds like coming to a stop,,,,other than that stick with it you,ll get used to it :)

Hello All,

Dropped my old GSA Hexhead a few times and semi dropped my 1250GSA at a fuel station, thought i'd put the side stand down when i hadn't, the bike fell against the pump, which was fairly embarassing.

When i first got my Hexhead GSA i had the same thoughts and worries as you and didn't fill it up for first 6 months, I no longer have an issuess with a full tank nor notice the extra weight
You will get used to it.
A lot of it is probably in your head, more time on the bike will increase your confidence. Good luck and a great choice of bike it's a fantastic machine.

You did have a test ride before buying it didn’t you ?
Not on the 1250, but on a friend's 1200. Dropping it hasn't been enough to put me off, I love the bike, it's the most comfortable and accomplished bike I've ridden, I just want to be better at riding (stopping) it!

just a thought,, but check your tyre pressures and condition, i assume its a new bike but you didnt say, low pressures or badly worn tyres can have an effect especially at low walking pace speeds like coming to a stop,,,,other than that stick with it you,ll get used to it :)

New bike - new tyres and the pressures are good. Thanks for the encouragement.

Maybe find an empty car park and practice slow riding, figures of eight, circles, etc. Also practice heavy braking when ok to do so, so you get used to weight transference. As you rightly say, they are a big beast and feel very different to your previous bike.
You might even want to join an IAM or ROSPA group to learn from others, as many of them ride GSs or GSAs. You can never have too much training.

The bottom line is that it is a big heavy and quite tall bike.
I'm 5'10" with a 31 inside leg. I'm not comfortable with tip e toe at stationary.
My bike is standard ride height.
Ive taken as couple of measures to get my feet more planted. Lower bobbins on the front of the seat and boots (Altberg) with a thick and substantial sole. Of course there is the option of a lower seat and the lower suspension
This has made me more 'planted'. Never the less every time I manouvre, park or come to a halt I'm assessing the environment. I will manually push the bike out of a parking place if called for instead of scrabbling with my feet.
One thing is for sure if it goes let it otherwise you will hurt yourself. Fortunately the bars front and rear on the GSA will prevent a lot of damage.
As someone suggested get yourself to any empty car park and practice slow speed manouvering.
And yes I have laid it down when I was least expecting it with no external factors. I was doing a three point turn on an empty wide road and I dragged my foot. That was it. I was on tour and had some extra luggage and a good load of fuel.

Dropped every one of my GS's

The hexhead, Twice, 1st not enough power out of a junction, and putting it on the centre stand
The LC front brake stop and over she went
The TC, rolled off the sidestand as i was on an uneven path

The first one is OMG ive got to pick it up!!!! Adrenalin & YT videos kick in and it comes up like a 125 , the second time, "you can stay there you fecker", i'm having cup of coffee first :)

The 2nd is Wanker - now ive got to pick you up again

The 3rd is hey ho , pick it up and forget it

i believe it's a rite of passage

Not on the 1250, but on a friend's 1200. Dropping it hasn't been enough to put me off, I love the bike, it's the most comfortable and accomplished bike I've ridden, I just want to be better at riding (stopping) it!

New bike - new tyres and the pressures are good. Thanks for the encouragement.
Maybe you just need to practice picking it up? :nenau The more you do it, the easier it’ll become and the less you’ll worry about it!:D

I'm the same size and i've still managed to lay it down like you but with all the bars it didn't damage anything and the bar scuff more or less disappeared with a scotchbrite pad. Its the weight plus the height that makes it super easy to lay down once it gets past a certain point no matter how strong you are.
Don't stress about it and just learn from it so your always aware of road cambers or road surfaces and then after a while it just becomes part of your normal riding and you wont give it a second thought.
I've had mine nearly roll off its sidestand twice in crappy laybys and just managed to catch it. Now, i always make sure its parked up in first gear and that worry disappeared and its now just part of the normal routine without giving it a second thought, it works for me and that's all that counts.
Stick with it and the longer you have the bike the more you''ll adjust. For a big heavy lump the handling and balance is sublime, more than enough power for the real world and humongous torque available low down just where you need it.

Back
Top Bottom