Ride magazine routes.

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have previously used ride magazine routes. This was done on a PC. I didn't find it a problem and they ended up in my sat nav and served me well.

I now run a Mac with Sierra OS. I down loaded a route as a GPX file but I cannot open it. A window says you need winzip,stuffit, xpander or similar.

Its 2 years since I have done anything like this. So do I need to open it or can they be exported to the sat nav as they are.

I did a quick search on the forum for a dummies guide to this but got no hits.

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

I could if stuck drag my old PC out and use that. But I would really like to do it all from my Mac.

Thanks Steve

Select file (you downloaded) -> Right click -> "Open With" -> Garmin BaseCamp.app (Default) This should now show route in Base Camp

Don't have it.

I do not have Garmin express as a download on my Mac. I am assuming if I wish to use this computer as a host for the gpx files then export them to a sat nav this is a must.

In the meantime I will continue my search for more info.

I used motogoloco in the past as I found it more user friendly than basecamp. From reviews basecamp is not the best for those that use it infrequently.

Any more tips out there ? bring them on !

Mac has built in unzipping software.
Can you get the unzipped downloaded GPX file onto the desktop?
To open it you'll need a suitable program that handles GPX files like BaseCamp.

You can just drag the file into you device or SD card. Personally I'd check it first using BaseCamp to make sure it's ok.

you do not need garmin express to transfer a gpx file to your nav, i am reasonably sure you dont even need basecamp or mapsource, you can drag and drop a gpx file into your gpx folder on the nav, or if you have created one a gpx folder on your sd card

Leedude03, you have got the closest to the answer I was after. On a pc I down loaded 9 gpx files. They sit as 9 separate files. I do not have a gpx folder. Also both pc and Mac do not see the nav3 when plugged in.

It may be because the nav3 is none compatible? both machines know its there when the Garmin app is used.

Its rather frustrating this. I did it no problems at all on a nav 5 with a PC.

Leedude03, you have got the closest to the answer I was after. On a pc I down loaded 9 gpx files. They sit as 9 separate files. I do not have a gpx folder. Also both pc and Mac do not see the nav3 when plugged in.

It may be because the nav3 is none compatible? both machines know its there when the Garmin app is used.

Its rather frustrating this. I did it no problems at all on a nav 5 with a PC.[/QUOTE

Make sure the usb cable is a data type cable and not just a charging cable otherwise it will not show up and sync. next how do you know you have no gpx folder if you cannot sync the unit to either mac or pc. the gpx folder is in the nav or on your sd card that you may or may not have in the nav.

when the nav is plugged into a pc or mac, can you not see it in my computer as an external drive, if not try another usb cable, or usb port.

from the manual. how to connect the unit, just incase you missed something.

Attachments

• 17-01-2017 10-01-46.jpg
    17-01-2017 10-01-46.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 17-01-2017 10-02-21.jpg
    17-01-2017 10-02-21.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 181
having done a little more digging it seems that what i have said above is incorrect, the unit does not show up as an external drive, and as iand46 has said it does not handle gpx routes. sorry for the missinformation.

Its rather frustrating this. I did it no problems at all on a nav 5 with a PC.

USB drivers?

having done a little more digging it seems that what i have said above is incorrect, the unit does not show up as an external drive, and as iand46 has said it does not handle gpx routes. sorry for the missinformation.

It's the POI loader that doesn't handle GPX routes. The Nav lll device can use them.

Thanks for all effort you have put into answering this, will try a few of the suggestions tonight.

Then the Nav 3 must be different to the 2610. I never had a problem with .gpx files with mine. Maybe you could try saving them as a .gdb file. I know now you use a Mac so others might be able to advise on how to do that, it's easy with Mapsource but somehow Basecamp always seems to complicate things. Good luck.

John

Ah I see the position has been clarified note to self-read all posts before jumping in!

What nav unit have you got steve?

for my nuvi 340 i drag the .gpx routes direct into the unit. Let me go and refresh myself and ill post here or pm you.

The mists of time are slowly clearing and as I attempt something it comes back to me.

I have down loaded base camp and have attempted to import the files ( click on file, then import into ) but it will not let me select the files.

When it comes to selecting the file location ( downloads ) there not there when I open them via basecamp. However when you open up downloads via the computer they are there. Thats got me confused, well it doesn't take much.

Back to searching the net for a solution.

Done it.

Success :clap

With some good tips from you contributors and a portion of luck I have accomplished my mission.

I have tried my best on a pc to down load the ride magazine routes onto my antique nav3. The stumbling point was getting the files from the pc into basecamp. It didn't want to do it.

I had originally thought I could accomplish this without basecamp, in my case apparently not.

I then resorted to my MacBook. I downloaded basecamp followed by the ride routes and they transferred first attempt. I was quite shocked and prepared for yet another failure.

I got a warning that in plain terms meant "your maps are that old some of the routes are are on new built roads" not much I can do about that.

Thank you to all that contributed to this thread.

SteveC

Hi Steve. My Nuevo was flat and my Maci's dead so I can't try this out
But

My mate sends me routes ( a link )from Moto go loco . They are .gpx files

What I do is download them to s folder on the desktop , I name this gpx files. I then plug in the na unit
And that appears as a separate drive. I open that and look for a folder in the farming structure. I think it's called trips or something like. Drag and drop from gpx files into this folder. Unplug nav unit reboot and then I go through to trip planner
It asks me if I want to import new routes ... yes... elect the one you want and hey presto.

So in basis, I drag and drop the .gpx file that I want into a directory on the nav units structure that.recognises the .gpx file.

As I have said before dragging and dropping a .gpx file is fine if the route was made on the same maps as on the device. Doing so with files that you know were not so created is asking for trouble. OK it won't be life threatening but its bloody annoying to discover that the route has been recalculated because of differences in mapping. Probably easy to work around on familiar territory but a different story when touring abroad.

Loading the .gpx file into Mapsource (or Basecamp if you must!) enables the route to be checked. I always do this for routes others have sent me. I make a copy of the route and get Mapsource to recalculate just the copy. As I now have both routes on the screen it is easy to spot any differences and correct as required. The whole process takes but a couple of minutes (unless there are serious problems with the route) and removes the risk of map mismatch problems on the road. I think most of us have experienced problems with shared routes and although I think most such problems are down to differences in device settings I have had cases of different maps causing problems.

I should point out that I am not saying different maps are incompatible, just that some roads and feature will appear in different places on different maps. Most of the time it matters little, just occasionally it matters a lot.

John

Back
Top Bottom