Sharing routes, which gpx version?

Further to my post at 17 - yesterday I created a short 35 mile route and downloaded it via Garmin Drive to my XT. No problems, it worked fine. Later I met up with a pal and using bluetooth shared the same route to his Nav V. In the Nav V the route showed on the map correctly as a magenta line but it only listed the first (start) and last (end) waypoints whereas on my XT all of the half dozen or so waypoints were listed. When riding the route, the Nav V gave correct directions (as per my XT) and showed all of the waypoints as blue dots. The route was created using HERE maps and saved as GPX 1.1. An annoying anomaly rather than a major problem but can anyone explain why this is

Do I have this right:

A. You created a route in MyRoute‘s HERE maps, saving it in 1.1.

B. You sent the route to your XT.

C. The route and its waypoints (viapoints, in Garmin terminology) displayed perfectly on your XT, I guess as little orange flags.

D. When you fired up your XT, you were offered the choice of Start, End and all the waypoints (orange flags) in between.

E. You sent the route via Bluetooth from your XT to your friend‘s Navigator V.

F. When your friend fired up their Navigator V, it only offered the choice of Start and End.

G. In the sending of the route between your XT and your friend’s Navigator V, all the waypoints (shown on your XT as orange flags) had become via points (shown on your friend’s XT as blue dots).

H. Other than that, the route on your XT and the same route on your friend’s Navigator V, both ran perfectly.

Last edited:
One thought…. Are you sure that the route you sent to your friend’s Navigator V wasn’t a track? A track only has a beginning and an end. It has no distinct points between.

One thought…. Are you sure that the route you sent to your friend’s Navigator V wasn’t a track? A track only has a beginning and an end. It has no distinct points between.
All of the points you made A - H above are correct. I don’t think I sent a track as the Nav V was giving turn my turn directions the same as mine.
It’s a curiosity rather than a problem!

Then it is very odd.

All I can suggest is to try sending the same route across but saved in version 1.2.

Are you sure your friend‘s route showed the little blue dots of the shaping points on his Navigator V?

I only ask as it really sounds as if a track has been converted into a route somehow. That would show points A and B (start and finish) and give turn instructions. But, it wouldn’t show any blue dots or orange flags.

Back
Top Bottom