Price advice

Bloomers100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
can I tap your collective airhead knowledge.

I have the opportunity to buy an 89 r80 cafe racer. It's been done in gulf colours. It has the original wheels which have been powder coated black, racer style fairing. Apparently it was an ex police bike and has 98000 showing on the clock.

On a quick look it seems tidy. The engine is silver and has been polished up here and there. It has an mot, and continual mots on record.

The advice I need is he's asking £3500, is that about right for these I was preferring the price to start with a 2. Any advice welcome.

It would have to be really nicely done for that money. I would not be wanting to pay 3.5K for a high mileage ex police R80. As Mikeyboy says a photo is needed. Unless you really wanted a café racer I wouldn't bother. You could get a lower mileage good standard airhead for that and always get your money back.:beerjug:

That is the sort of price such things seem to go for but the nice bit with converting one yourself is:

You can make it the exact style you like.

You can change and evolve it, maybe different specs for different days out.

You can put it back to standard if required, giving perhaps a better long-term attractiveness? But most importantly...

Taking such simple and well-made bikes apart is really good fun!:thumb2

A lot of these "bobber" customs are done by idiots who have no idea what they're doing. They buy a rough airhead for £800-1000 strip everything off it and sell the parts on eBay, buy a subframe and seat from Von zetti for £350 and a cheapo pair of silencers add a crappy spray job and flog it on for £3500+ to some doppy twat who thinks he's buying into a lifestyle!

If your daft enough to buy one don't expect to be instant mates with most airhead riders.

I think Rob and Mark have hit the nail on the head, except in Oz that those things are unsalable and end up on crapbay and cant get a bid at 20% of the opening bid for a bog stock bike.
True value is probably its value as a ex police bike less the cost of putting it back to standard spec, so he should probably be giving it away free!

A lot of these "bobber" customs are done by idiots who have no idea what they're doing. They buy a rough airhead for £800-1000 strip everything off it and sell the parts on eBay, buy a subframe and seat from Von zetti for £350 and a cheapo pair of silencers add a crappy spray job and flog it on for £3500+ to some doppy twat who thinks he's buying into a lifestyle!

If your daft enough to buy one don't expect to be instant mates with most airhead riders.

Grief!

There's an example of why you shouldn't post after a few beers! Read the thread this morning and wondered what miserable bugger wrote that? Very surprised to see it was me :beer:

Haha, you've all helped pull myself together. I walked in the workshop and saw it, I was there for something else, found out it was for sale and got all misty eyed. That /7 is pretty close to me, I think something unmolested would me more gentlemanly.

Cheers guys.

I wouldnt touch it. When these dudes realise no one is going to buy their lash ups they will stop ruininng decent airheads.

Buy a cafe racer/bobber or any other flat track lash up (very few appear to be e done properly) for £3500 and when the craze dies out a couple of years down the line after throwing good money at it to make it reliable and rideable then it will be worth a damned sight less.

Pre this craze standard airheads were reasonably easy to get hold of , their values have shot up in the last couple of years because there are so few of them left around in good nick and un-bastardised so the ones that are left will only increase in value.

Another thing is that one persons 'special' , however, well it is made may not be in the taste of the rest of the buying public.

Personally if I was going to build something of this ilk on an older airhead none of the modifications would be irreversible and all of the standard parts would be salted away......... my Katana has upgraded suspension and running gear mods plus a few bits of bodywork changes but every bit is bolt on, all of the standard parts are safe in loft and the bodywork changes were carried out on cheap used E Bay panels

you could buy this lovely thing for £2250

s-l500.jpg

or £5000 for this

s-l400.jpg

When i restored mine. I went all stock. As everybody here pointed. Better go stock than crazy with mods! It will be not worth a penny after vandalized/modified
23b788eb54eeb54bf919a0620db3b388.jpg
1fe050d8e5caa45f5af97f40f15272cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom