1290 GT

Nothing to do with KTM but the wife just got a new car, we got gap insurance via ALA and if you type in MSE25 it gives you a 25% discount...so for your quote it shows £273 but this drops to £204 with the moneysavingexpert code. :beerjug:

Even better because the quote was with ALA :thumb2

Sounds like they would like you to buy some "gap" insurance. Sounds to me like another way of squeezing more money out of us.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sounds like they would like you to buy some "gap" insurance. Sounds to me like another way of squeezing more money out of us.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Neither the insurance broker nor the dealer have offered me gap insurance so there’s no hard sell involved, it’s all my own doing.

They have to give you the current market value, today that is £11k, next May when it is 6 months old if it were to be nicked they should give the sort of price it is worth at that time (in theory cost to replace with similar age / mileage machine) They always offer low, but if you can provide evidence and push them hard enough they will move, they often rely on trying it on - and far too often get away with it.

When the Mrs TDM got hit I went on E-Bay, Bike Trader and MCN Bikes and too a screenshot of every advert for bikes of similar age (a year each side of hers) and similar mileage (within about 25%). I was very surprised when they decided to repair it (and very happy as it is a minter and would of been hard to replace with one as nice)

I’ve not got the patience to argue with insurance companies because they rarely concede early and I spent an hour on Friday just talking about the price to insure the bike so how many hours do you think they’d make me wait for a realistic pay out?

I’ll see what I can get out of other brokers when I’ve got a bit of time between Xmas and New Year but right now that couple of hundred pounds to remove the hassle sounds very tempting. I’d need to be 100% certain it’d work under all circumstances before paying but if it does then I’ll be more than happy to pay.

Nothing to do with KTM but the wife just got a new car, we got gap insurance via ALA and if you type in MSE25 it gives you a 25% discount...so for your quote it shows £273 but this drops to £204 with the moneysavingexpert code. :beerjug:

Thanks for the code, I’m about to buy gap insurance for my new car.:thumb

Crazy that having paid for insurance, you have to take out insurance because you know the first lot of insurance is going to rip you off.

When I get into No.10 I am going to waterboard the entire financial services industry, every single board member and the entire Senior Management Team of every bank, sub prime lender and insurance company, in fact probably go old school with some medieval techniques.

Is it any different to the likes of Hermes asking you to insure your parcel just in case they lose it ? :nenau

That is awesome, I wonder if I can get my clients to pay me some sort of insurance in case I don't actually do what they paid me to do?

Awesome or not most of them are now doing it :augie

Many of the parcel carriers dropped the guaranteed insured value for items from £50 to £15 then give you the opportunity to pay for insurance if your item is worth more than their new £15 limit :blast

I know I’d planned to pick the bike up in January but we got finished 2 days earlier than planned so I was on a plane home from the Shetlands at 5pm last night plotting bike collection, home by 4pm today and I’m collecting the bike on Saturday afternoon. The weather forecast isn’t too bad so I might even get some way towards running it in over the Xmas break while my mother in law is at our house :D

I know I’d planned to pick the bike up in January but we got finished 2 days earlier than planned so I was on a plane home from the Shetlands at 5pm last night plotting bike collection, home by 4pm today and I’m collecting the bike on Saturday afternoon. The weather forecast isn’t too bad so I might even get some way towards running it in over the Xmas break while my mother in law is at our house :D

I’ve been getting mine rather dirty. The traction control is having to work hard on the slimy roads.

Following on from my mini whinge about insurance, I managed to get a decent quote that not only gave me good European cover, at home and European breakdown cover but most importantly I get a guaranteed new bike as a replacement if anything untoward happens in the first 6 months. The used price value should have settled down before 6 months are up so I’ll probably forget taking out gap insurance.

Good news.....from? ;-)

Bikesure. I could have got a cheaper quote but overall the package seemed good, fitted my requirements and the girl on the phone sounded nice. Shallow? Of course I’m shallow :D

Ok, 40 miles on the clock and what do I reckon to the new bike.....

The roads are greasy so I was even more careful than I’d normally be on a new bike and I’m also a great believer in being nice to bikes for the first 100 miles just in case there’s a stupid manufacturing or PDI fault but here we go.

The engine feels stronger than the 1190 but it also feels ‘lumpier’ and I think it’ll need a lot more gear changes than the 1190.

I’m already missing the brush guards and the touring screen I had fitted on the 1190. It was cold and like a dick I’d left the vents open on my crash helmet but didn’t notice on the way over to Market Deeping.

The seat felt firm but having a heated seat was nice. No doubt the seat will bed in after a few hundred miles but the novelty of a heated seat will last a lot longer.

The riding position feels strange after an adventure bike but there’s no wind pressure with the screen at its highest setting so touring should be relatively pain free.

Handling felt neutral but I didn’t push it into any corners though I normally find slower speeds quickly show up both heavy or fast steering more than faster speeds so I’m happy with that side of it. The tyres didn’t move at all even though they’re sparky new and the roads were greasy so that’s good as well.

The lights seem good, there’s a good spread on dip beam but the main seems a bit high at the moment. That might be better when it’s properly dark rather than the winter twilight I rode home in.

The panniers fit nicely and are very easy to take on and off but by fuck they’re small. It’s a nice touch having nets in them to prevent filthy boxer shorts falling out in hotel car parks but I’d say touring for a fortnight will require a small tail bag. Note for Melch: not a top box :rolleyes:

It’s a bit heavier on fuel than the 1190 but the engine is tight so that’ll improve and to be honest I’m not worried about mpg as much as range when cruising across Germany on autobahns and it’s got a 5 gallon tank so 200 miles should be easy to achieve.

Cruise control is a new toy for me on a motorbike but the only time I’ll see the advantage is if I want to mess with my gloves or the vents on my jacket though my views on it may change over time.

Overall I’m happy with it and wish it was summer :D

I’ll fit the satnav power lead along with an Optimate lead and the supply for my heated jacket later though that might be something I’d be better doing when the Xmas visitor insists on watching Eastfuckingenders.

Ok, 40 miles on the clock and what do I reckon to the new bike.....

The roads are greasy so I was even more careful than I’d normally be on a new bike and I’m also a great believer in being nice to bikes for the first 100 miles just in case there’s a stupid manufacturing or PDI fault but here we go.

The engine feels stronger than the 1190 but it also feels ‘lumpier’ and I think it’ll need a lot more gear changes than the 1190.

I’m already missing the brush guards and the touring screen I had fitted on the 1190. It was cold and like a dick I’d left the vents open on my crash helmet but didn’t notice on the way over to Market Deeping.

The seat felt firm but having a heated seat was nice. No doubt the seat will bed in after a few hundred miles but the novelty of a heated seat will last a lot longer.

The riding position feels strange after an adventure bike but there’s no wind pressure with the screen at its highest setting so touring should be relatively pain free.

Handling felt neutral but I didn’t push it into any corners though I normally find slower speeds quickly show up both heavy or fast steering more than faster speeds so I’m happy with that side of it. The tyres didn’t move at all even though they’re sparky new and the roads were greasy so that’s good as well.

The lights seem good, there’s a good spread on dip beam but the main seems a bit high at the moment. That might be better when it’s properly dark rather than the winter twilight I rode home in.

The panniers fit nicely and are very easy to take on and off but by fuck they’re small. It’s a nice touch having nets in them to prevent filthy boxer shorts falling out in hotel car parks but I’d say touring for a fortnight will require a small tail bag. Note for Melch: not a top box :rolleyes:

It’s a bit heavier on fuel than the 1190 but the engine is tight so that’ll improve and to be honest I’m not worried about mpg as much as range when cruising across Germany on autobahns and it’s got a 5 gallon tank so 200 miles should be easy to achieve.

Cruise control is a new toy for me on a motorbike but the only time I’ll see the advantage is if I want to mess with my gloves or the vents on my jacket though my views on it may change over time.

Overall I’m happy with it and wish it was summer :D

I’ll fit the satnav power lead along with an Optimate lead and the supply for my heated jacket later though that might be something I’d be better doing when the Xmas visitor insists on watching Eastfuckingenders.

sounds like you liked it , i did 170miles today on mine , and its awesome the torque is unreal ..... i'm used to inline 4s :D handling is great and comfy compared to my gixxer . I Was never in any rush to get by traffic like i am on my sportsbike , and oddly enough i found the screen better in its lowest postion and i'm 6ft 2 , strange :thumb and standard exhaust sounds great so don't think i'll be changing that , sadistically i actually enjoyed the greasy roads :green gri

Andy, Picked mine up yesterday, yours must have been the one right by the door? I noticed it had the touring pack fitted. I cheated and collected in my van.

Andy, Picked mine up yesterday, yours must have been the one right by the door? I noticed it had the touring pack fitted. I cheated and collected in my van.

Yep, that would have been mine.

It wasn’t a bad ride home and it was only an hour after getting in the house that I remembered I’ve now got a quick shifter to play with so I might need to have a quick ride around the neighbourhood to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom