1290 GT

Will these bikes generate return customers or will they sit on the fence and wait for another bargain, the updated 2019 bike that will show itself this year will be £17k that will see these customers having to part with £10k plus there GT, I think many punters have a ceiling price when it comes to px time that doesn't exceed £3-4K .

I expect poor residuals with certain manufacturers, I bought several Ducati bikes, i presumed I would lose a wedge come sale/px time, strangely that hasn't been the case, next time I want a new ktm I'll play the waiting game.

I reckon KTM have pulled the rug out from their dealers for 2018 (and themselves). Reckon they will have to discount their current stock to partially alleviate the concerns from potential customers now. S/H bike values appear to be tumbling without this kick in the stones for new-purchasers.

When I bought my XR, the GT was perhaps £3k-£3.5k more expensive, and not justified to me. But - at £13k - I reckon it would have sold very well from the start.

Al

Fair enough :D

I do think however that you and I have a different understanding of what a Marketing dept. does in a large company. I still maintain that their marketing is some of the best out there (in the motorcycle market)......

Andres

Their marketing is very good, there’s no doubt about that.

But as well as pissing off the customers that have paid full price for a GT, they’ve also pissed their dealers off, that have several full price GT’s sat in their showroom that they can’t sell.

Once the ‘cheap’ GT’s have gone, I wouldn’t imagine many folk would pay full price for one, knowing there’s a new model coming soon.

And customers will no doubt think that the £5000 drop came out of the dealer's profit margin when in fact the dealers pay considerably more than £11k to have a 1290GT sat on their showroom floor :blast

And customers will no doubt think that the £5000 drop came out of the dealer's profit margin when in fact the dealers pay considerably more than £11k to have a 1290GT sat on their showroom floor :blast

Do you think!
I don't think the customers are that uneducated these days.

Well in that case we will have to agree to disagree

Having worked in the motor trade for over 25 years I can assure you that there are some really thick misinformed cnuts out there :blast

Most of them use the phrase 'stealer' when referring to their authorised dealer. Sadly this latest action by KTM will do little persuade the bike buying public that the dealer network are nothing other than a bunch of robbing, lying bastards :comfort

I suppose it depends on the dealer and your own experiences with them but over the last 10 years I’ve had 3 new KTMs from Gear 4 and I wouldn’t have even bought the second one on price alone. Ok, I accept that they love taking money off me but the longer serving members of staff all welcome me with “hi Andy, you know where the coffee machine is, grab one then tell me what you’re after” or words along those lines. If I ever want another KTM they’ll be the first place I go to.

No, I’m not on commission but they do give the appearance of putting the customer first.

Happy with my "stealer" and robbing him of an new unregistered 1190s for under £11k - and with decent p.x. price.

Almost bought a GT on this deal.

No giveaway on what I wanted (1290s) but for barely more than 1190 to 1290 upgrade I did a deal on a low mileage 1090 as a second bike to share with Mrs.

Without the discounts I would still be riding my Yamaha as opposed to having 2 recent KTM models in the garage.....

....problem is if they stop doing deals I will likely stop buying them.

The dealer I spoke to said that KTM were supplying the GT's to them in a pre registered state and that they were from a cancelled order from another country. He was quick to point out that KTM had not discounted the GT in the UK, this was a batch of pre registered bikes and not an ongoing promotion. He also said that the dealer was only getting £500 for selling each pre reg bike as the bikes were essentially supplied to them by KTM as used bikes. I bought a new bike from him rather than a pre reg as the new bike was still discounted and he was able to give me a better part ex price for my GSA as there was more profit in the discounted new bike.

The dealer I spoke to said that KTM were supplying the GT's to them in a pre registered state and that they were from a cancelled order from another country. He was quick to point out that KTM had not discounted the GT in the UK, this was a batch of pre registered bikes and not an ongoing promotion. He also said that the dealer was only getting £500 for selling each pre reg bike as the bikes were essentially supplied to them by KTM as used bikes. I bought a new bike from him rather than a pre reg as the new bike was still discounted and he was able to give me a better part ex price for my GSA as there was more profit in the discounted new bike.

Mine wasn't pre-registered

The moral of the ktm road bike story ,is wait 1-2 years after they have released a new model and then buy one ,as they always drop massively in price on nearly all models ,which is shit but a true fact .😞

The dealer I spoke to said that KTM were supplying the GT's to them in a pre registered state and that they were from a cancelled order from another country. He was quick to point out that KTM had not discounted the GT in the UK, this was a batch of pre registered bikes and not an ongoing promotion.

Having been in discussion with ktm uk over having my pants down, I can confirm your dealer has told you incorrectly, also they are pre-reg by the dealer upon sale and not before so essentially still a brand new bike, only reason why they are sold registered by the dealer is to cover ktm arses so they can pass em off as a used bike.

I have lots of emails to and fro and it fooking stinks, there attitude is really so unprofessional.

The moral of the ktm road bike story ,is wait 1-2 years after they have released a new model and then buy one ,as they always drop massively in price on nearly all models ,which is shit but a true fact .

Exactly, great marketing strategy ktm

KTM really are wankers !

But their bikes are fantastic and I love all three of mine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I do really rate the GT after the Xr and the dvt, I prefer my GT, its proper bonkers with 40t sprox and hilltop, I have the full akra titanium evo system for it as well that I haven't got round to fitting.

Dave, you have a properly sorted GT, with all the bling anyone could want:mod

I appreciate the price drop has hit you hard, but why not just keep and enjoy the bike for what it is, until something better comes along that you want.

Dave, you have a properly sorted GT, with all the bling anyone could want:mod

I appreciate the price drop has hit you hard, but why not just keep and enjoy the bike for what it is, until something better comes along that you want.

Exactly.:thumb

If KTM suddenly dropped the price of the 1290S, it would be slightly annoying, but wouldn’t detract from my enjoyment of my bike. I’ve got no plans to sell it, and am planning loads of trips on it this year, so intent to get as many miles on it as possible.:beerjug:

Andres told me not to worry about resale values, so I don’t now.:D

After 7 years off a bike due to surgery ,

took the plunge last month and pick this up.No test ride just thought f*uck it.
Short 50 mile "blast" around the vale and couldn't stop grinning.
No issues from the neck metal work so all good.

2018-01-27_09-08-53 by Robert James, on Flickr

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom