Multi bike insurance nightmare (and maybe silver lining?)

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
So, my Multibike insurance renewal dropped last week for my GS and '99 Blackbird. £270 - £100 more than last year, but I wasn't impressed. I've two claims (one non-fault, one 'fault' (as far as my car being nicked off my drive is 'fault')), so fair enough. I had a third fault claim in November last year (long story) so had to inform them for renewal.

This increased the quote by £100, making it £45 monthly in total, which I've not paid in years. Gutted.

I've called bike sure (waiting for a Call back tomorrow), but played about online.

Best single bike quotes with everything declared:

1150GS - £200 :thumby:

Blackbird - £625 :eek::eek::eek:

So.....reality check.

The blackbird is ultra-low miles (12,000) and is mint, but was bought new by my dad in '99 (I remember the day it came home!), so it has sentimental value. I did a 380 mile day trip on it last year, had numb arms and wrists, so bought the GS.....and love it. I've spent all winter itching to get out on it, and can't see myself riding the 'bird much, if at all, this year.

So, a quick insurance play and I can insure an '08 1200GS for about £230 fully comp, everything declared.

So...I have options....

Do I...

A. Begrudgingly stump up £380 to insure both
B. Insure the 1150 for £200, smug in the amazing smiles per pound from being a 45k mile '00 GS owner, sell my sentimental blackbird (but free up a chunk of cash!)
C. Sell both and buy a newer 1200GS.....

Any suggestions welcome!

Hi Mike,
Hope you (& the GS!) are well!!
Before you decide, talk to Cornmarket bike insurance. They're based in Belfast, have always been very helpful, & you can actually speak to real person. They do 'multibike', but it seems to be based on the most expensive bike, with nominal premiums for any additional ones, if that makes sense? Hope you get sorted!:thumb
Cheers,
Chris

Firstly, the Blackbird should be eligible for a Classic policy which is generally cheaper.
Second, I don't know if you still can, but back in the day you used to be able to get a 'storage' policy which would just cover you for fire, theft and damage, no third party liability. Again a cheaper option that would allow you to keep it.

Hi Mike,
Before you decide, talk to Cornmarket bike insurance. They're based in Belfast, have always been very helpful, & you can actually speak to real person. They do 'multibike', but it seems to be based on the most expensive bike, with nominal premiums for any additional ones, if that makes sense? Hope you get sorted!:thumb
Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris!
Love it to bits, thanks! It's being very well cared for as promised! I've been gutted at all the rain recently, but it does wash the salt off the roads! Just planning a Scotland trip on it over Easter...... ;)

I'm with Cornmarket for my car, and yes, they're great for service. I hadn't thought about calling them for my bike, I'll get onto them tomorrow!

Hope you sorted something suitable out mate! ;)

Firstly, the Blackbird should be eligible for a Classic policy which is generally cheaper.
Second, I don't know if you still can, but back in the day you used to be able to get a 'storage' policy which would just cover you for fire, theft and damage, no third party liability. Again a cheaper option that would allow you to keep it.

They're both classics! I'm not sure my (well known) insurance company do Classic Multibike policies.... This year they've only quoted me on Multibike, not classic (like last year). I'll call them back in a few days though.

Hi Mike,
Cheers,
Chris

As a local and was insured with Cornmarket last year with RT GSA and Ducati 900 SS. Renewal came in at a tad expensive so reverted back to EADavies & Co Broker in Belfast 02890342999 £320 comp Road side assist/legal cover, beats Cornhill by £60 and no RSA or legal cover. May be of help to you.

As a local and was insured with Cornmarket last year with RT GSA and Ducati 900 SS. Renewal came in at a tad expensive so reverted back to EADavies & Co Broker in Belfast 02890342999 £320 comp Road side assist/legal cover, beats Cornhill by £60 and no RSA or legal cover. May be of help to you.

Good to know, thanks! Also, it makes me feel my quote of £360 for both bikes wasn't actually that bad - it's just more than I want to pay for bikes I only use as fair-weather toys. £200 for the GS alone seemed more reasonable given my claim history.... Plus, I really can't see myself using the 'bird this year - as nice as it is, it is physically traumatic to ride with damage to my shoulder and wrist from mountain biking.

I'm currently with Cornmarket, and found them to be very good for multi-bike insurance. Most of my bikes are significantly-modified, and their underwriters not only accepted all the mods, but included them in the replacement cost.

Will see what they say about premium renewal this week

Al

if it were me i would let the 'bird go to another home where it would be used and loved instead of languishing in a garage in the name of sentimentality, and bank yourself some cash if you are unlikely to ride it now that you have the GS bug - and lets face it that bug rarely goes away once we see the light ;)

Try footman james classic bike policy; I have 19 at the moment. GSA has 3 page's of upgrade/mods and didn't charge me a penny more.

You'll need to be a bike club member, you should join the vjmc or vmcc who will get you reasonable discount; bikes will also be agreed value too.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Cornmarket under right the IAM members insurances and over the years they have been up and down relating to competitive prices they had 3 cars and 2 bikes from me. Right now I have nothing with them. I am looking to re insure my Bike 2016 1200 GSA TE LC in April and have been with BMW Motorrad insurance for the last 4 years thats under written by Devits just had a standard renewal via email and they charge a £10 renewal fee plus brokers fee of £21.09 ! Fully Comp NCB protected Euro cover 90 days £1k worth of riders gear etc.Luggage and accessory cover. unlimited miles per annum bike value £18.5k.So as Im still a IAM member i rang Surety IAM's Belfast number they have quoted me again £79 cheaper than BMW/Devits a close like for like quote BMW is £450 access and insurance covered on BMW loan bikes and demo bikes when at BMW services etc. Where as Ian Corn-market want Fully Comp £500 access NCB protected Euro cover 90 days £1k worth of riders gear etc.15K miles per annum bike value £16k.

Then I thought well how many times do i go ride a BMW demo? maybe one or two? as to service same one or two.. That would cost £15 a ride to cover from a non BMW insurer. Then i thought well Corn-market are £79 cheaper I am a BIG BELIEVER in your onl yever INSURED UNTIL YOU MAKE A CLAIM! so still not sure who to go with if i stay with BMW its easy rang em no chance anything cheaper! they just say were never the cheapest! Then IAM/Corn-Market i have to pay my IAM annual subs £39.00 so if i factor that in are they cheaper? I hate this every year trying to see whats best. I do 15k per annum and have had two offs This year one in January cost me £100 one in February cost me £500 but touch wood none on the other 8 GSA's over 200,00miles apart from when Mick the Saw dominoed me in Franch alps:) Its like owt else you pay your money and take a chance. Has anyone got anything I am missing re BMW Motorrad Insurance ??

Big D

Cheers Derek, that's a comprehensive summary! :thumb

I've got it down to £330 for both bikes and £191 for the GS alone with Bikesure (from the number on the members discounts section of the forum), fully comp with riding other bikes, legal etc. The difference between the two quotes is about £15 a month. Cornmarket wouldn't touch me, and I'm dreading my renewal with them in October....so I may need to save cash somewhere.. I'm going to give Carol Nash one more go tomorrow, then decide over the weekend if I'm selling the Blackbird. I think I know already, just don't know how to tell my old man.......

Thanks for the input - helpful as always! :thumby:

I had a hell of runaround with Carole Gnash - Staffed by a bunch of chimps.

Would never go back

Al

Back
Top Bottom