Insurance and luggage

Buttertub

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just on with the usual insurance renewal hunt for a reasonable deal on my GS1250

Went via the compare websites and found a very reasonable quote from Bennetts for £184 which seemed a good deal, not the lowest but i'd dealt with them before so i took it and paid. I went through the policy small print when it arrived and found a list of items that needed to be declared which i phoned them back to get any changes logged as necessary. Everything was ok until i got to luggage and the end result was the insurer wouldn't quote once luggage was added.

Policy had to be cancelled and a re quote that went up by a whopping 70% to £315 at which point i've said no thanks.

Has anybody else come across this ? Anybody recommend anywhere it doesn't become an issue as it seemed from Bennetts that very few would quote once luggage is added. Seems very strange to me given luggage is very common on these bikes.

Soft luggage?

Hard luggage?

Tank bag?

BMW 'official' or third party?

Tesco bag, held onto the rear seat with string and a prayer?

Maybe it's as simple as this 'very common' luggage, is now very commonly broken into by scrotes or damaged in "But it weren't my fault, mate" crashes? I have no idea, other than I have never had a problem including luggage.

Last edited:
No issue with Bemoto, and that's aftermarket luggage too.

Soft luggage?

Hard luggage?

Tank bag?

BMW 'official' or third party?

Tesco bag, held onto the rear seat with string and a prayer?

Maybe it's as simple as this 'very common' luggage, is now very commonly broken into by scrotes or damaged in "But it weren't my fault, mate" crashes? I have no idea, other than I have never had a problem including luggage.
My fault, its the BMW ali cases. I've never had a problem before but this time i did.

The problem started from the compare websites where you cant list any accessories and then when taking out the policy and checking through everything there was no mention of accessories. Then when the policy details came through it listed items they didn't really need to know about and others they did. The latter included things like crash bars and luggage and that's when the problem started of having to requote.

Basically i'll just have to ring around and see if i can find one that will give a reasonable cover on luggage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom