does mtn biking have any similarity to off road motorcycling?

wittenham

Reaction score
I have done a lot of the first, none of the second. I am mulling going on some training and seeing what it is all about. Is there any cross over between the two? Well, other than it hurts when you fall off, the bikes cost more than your car, and the bike is almost never the limiting factor?

lot s of cross over , best fitness balance and a great way to stay fit . motor against human power speed will come , just start slow and get used to the weight difference. go try an enduro try out day and see what you think.

Your knowledge and experience of mountain biking will hold you in good stead for off road motorcycling.

Motorcycling is much easier. Far better suspension, power for obstacles (and hills) in abundance, and it's just a lot more comfortable.

As I always suggest, see Gaz at Adventure Bike Warehouse, Skygod on here. He runs courses in Derbyshire. I've been on two, lots of people from here have benefited from his tuition.

Takes people from never being off road all the way up. Provides bikes so you don't need to worry about your pride and joy getting dropped.

Go and do it as soon as possible, because when you do get around to doing it, you'll wish you had done it earlier. :thumb2

It's a great starting point...

Skills like looking where you need to go, trusting the capability of your bike and reading the trail all transfer across.

And when you get back on your MTB it feels more nimble

Lots of crossover.

Positioning on the bike to climb or descend and ride off camber.

Knowing how to brake especially on steep descents.

Unweighting the front wheel.

Too much to compare, give it a go.

Thanks all, I will give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also late to reply and like you Wittenham I am an old mountain biker who fancies trying his hand at off road, would love to hear how you get on, I fancy doing an Enduro course as well. No mountain biking for me since the last broken shoulder, roadie only these days. However, broke my shoulder twice doing that as well !! Just unlucky I guess !

Also late to reply and like you Wittenham I am an old mountain biker who fancies trying his hand at off road, would love to hear how you get on, I fancy doing an Enduro course as well. No mountain biking for me since the last broken shoulder, roadie only these days. However, broke my shoulder twice doing that as well !! Just unlucky I guess !

The Herts lanes are getting dry enough to use a road tyred GS on - Try Mud lane you cant really go wrong and if it does you can walk home

Herts TRF are very active and have newbie rides starting from Café Nero

Back
Top Bottom