Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Reading between the lines are you saying I can connect my sena10s to the virb so the virb will record my voice from my sena mic, that would be perfect.

Reading between the lines are you saying I can connect my sena10s to the virb so the virb will record my voice from my sena mic, that would be perfect.

Yes it should do?

You should be able to connect your Sena10 via Bluetooth to the Garmin Virb camera.

When the Garmin is recording video it is also recording your voice (in theory anyways depending on the connectivity of everything)

Yes it should do?

You should be able to connect your Sena10 via Bluetooth to the Garmin Virb camera.

When the Garmin is recording video it is also recording your voice (in theory anyways depending on the connectivity of everything)

:cool:

It sounds like the Bluetooth is having to reestablish connection each time you speak hence the stuttering.Is it set to voice ativated ,see if there are alternate settings that allow continuous recording which will cut out the stuttering?

Right, I've turned VOX off. So now unable to control headset via voice. This shouldn't be a problem for me as I can still activate Phone Calls and Media via Sat Nav Screen.

I've also increased the sensitivity of the AGC (Automatic Gain Control), so maybe now I will be able to hear ambient noise (which is what I wanted). Otherwise the video footage is completely silent, which is just weird.

Attachments

• Scala Settings.jpg
    Scala Settings.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 253
Update on OBD2 Data

UPDATE:

I've decided that I'd rather have the OBD2 data feeding to the rear Virb X, but up until now it keeps disconnecting and won't record any Telemetry data.

So I've been messing around this afternoon trying to find a solution... and I think I've found it.

You have to disconnect the Rear Virb X from the Front Virb XE (taking it out of Slave Mode).

Once its out of Slave Mode (and back into Main Virb Mode) the OBD2 Data connection is immediate and constant.

So you will lose remote control feature on the rear Virb X, but gain the ability to have OBD2 Data recorded instead.

This is a sacrifice I'm prepared to make, as its so easy just to flick the rear camera into 'Record' mode when you get on the bike, its a no brainer.

This also means I can now use my Scala headset to record voice on the front Virb, which is still controlled via the Nav VI remote control.

It has all the features, but you have to mix and match unfortunately. So I'm trying to get the best setup within the parameters of what's available.

Ooops.

One of my Garmin Rugged 10M Cables failed this weekend during testing.

I've sent an email to Garmin UK (as thats where I purchased them from) to see if it can be replaced under warranty.

The fuse keeps blowing.

I've checked wiring for shorts, cuts, failed joints, water ingress and it all looks good. So I think its the inline black box (power regulator?) that's failed

Heads up to HEX EzCAN device reporting fuse overload failure and shutting down the circuit. That worked a treat during testing. Simple reset every time.

The 2 AMP Garmin inline fuse also blew. So that needs a Mini Blade Fuse Replacement.

See what happens now and how Garmin UK respond :augie:augie:augie:augie

Final Testing

Was out doing my final testing today.

Think I'm about done now ;)

The main reasons I did this was:-

a) Front and Rear Camera footage on motorcycle (for incident, accident and special events) video footage.

b) Hardwired to motorcycle for power. This means the recording setup is always ready and you don't need to remember about charging, carrying or replacing internal batteries. You turn the bike on and its ready... ALL DAY (10.5 Hours continuous recording on a single memory card)

c) Always Waterproof and Dust Proof without special requirements, so it'll go anywhere and do anything you want to. Even if you do drop your bike in a river, film the fish!

d) Integration with Nav VI for remote control, OBD2 Motorcycle Telemetry Data and Bluetooth Headset chat. Always on, automatic connectivity.. just ride off and it'll be sorted.

e) Always powered on, 128GB Memory Cards will give you around 10 hours filming. With Audio, Telemetry, Front and Rear footage. On the go, whenever you want it, in any weather.

f) Choose between Front Video, Rear Video, Picture in Picture, Chat Audio, External Audio, Bike Telemetry On or Off. Powerful editing software from Garmin and its free to download.

Job done. :thumb2

Equipment Summary

- BMW Navigator VI - Sat Nav

- Garmin Virb XE (Front Camera) plus 128GB MicroSD Class 10 Memory Card, plus 2 extra desiccant moisture cards

- Garmin Virb X (Rear Camera) plus 128GB Micro SD Class 10 Memory Card, plus 2 extra desiccant moisture cards

- Garmin Rugged 10M Cables x 2

- Front and Rear BMW GoPro Camera Mounts

- HEX EzCan Electronic Device

- Kingston USB 3.0 MicroSD Card Reader for Laptop

- OBD2 ELM327 Data Reader Bluetooth, OBD2 1 Metre Extension Cable

- Garmin Virb Edit Software for video editing (Free)

Here is the final setup (Draft 2), and a video of Voice & Data all together.

Just to show you it does work, and what you can do. :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GDcsnyeiuM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• Tech Diagram 2.jpg
    Tech Diagram 2.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 316
Looks really smart

I'm going to be starting my install over the next week or so once my camera mounts arrives.

Looks really smart

I'm going to be starting my install over the next week or so once my camera mounts arrives.

Please let me know how you get on, and put some video or pics up here :beerjug:

I am no big fan of on-bike cameras, filming, music, telephones and the like but this is a really nicely put together thread and an interesting topic. It shows what can be done with some research and patience. Thank you.

I am no big fan of on-bike cameras, filming, music, telephones and the like but this is a really nicely put together thread and an interesting topic. It shows what can be done with some research and patience. Thank you.

Nice comment, thanks

Night time dashboard

I know you might be sick and tired of video's in this thread by now, but here's another interesting one.

I went out last night for a Night Time Ride. I do it sometimes, as I volunteer for Blood Bikes, it's good to keep in practice.

Anyways, I thought I'd test my auxiliary lights that I set up using the HEX EzCan.

But also, I changed the colours on my OBD2 Data Metrics. So it now has a NIGHT RIDER mode.

Next time I go out I'll remove the Touratech Light Grill as it casts to many shadows.

What do you think?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jYEn_UlIe80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But I'd also heard on the grapevine that these Garmin Virb XE and X models can also connect to OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth devices.

This means you can connect it to your BMW R1200GS OBD2 Port and suck lots of really juicy data out of the bikes ECU, AS YOU RIDE ALONG.

So I bought this one off Amazon.co.uk last night, which arrived today and I connected it up.

It took about 10 attempts as for some reason the Bluetooth Search on the Garmin Virb XE couldn't find it.

But after repeated attempts it did find it, and it now connects everytime without trouble.

I fitted it to the OBD2 port and put it in a waterproof bag (upside down) to protect it from water ingress.

Where is the obd2 plug located Warlord ?

Looks good, you might want to go for the clear perspex headlight protection at least it wont cause all those shadows.

Back
Top Bottom