Whaaaaat!! No Wheelies? I'm out.

+1
3000 miles in, this bike is surpassing the hopes I had for it. Awesome

2013 R1200GS for sale btw. PM me :)

As the man says, traction off, sport mode & gas it at 4-5.5k rpm.;)

Can't believe you bypassed buying one without trying it out properly first!:blast:D

I haven't really bypassed it Rich. I figured the 990 would be a better bike (for me and the dodgy elbow) than the 690. It's worlds better. I've sold the 690 as I've said above so I'm where I was if you get me. Whether Mrs.A will enjoy the 990 back seat is another matter so I may still be looking at the 1290.

You probably know the other reason I haven't bought the 1290 but on top of that the Premier 1290 doesn't lift the front for more than a second. The workshop said you can't either and so did KTM. Traction/ABS/Sport mode bla bla...all tried numerous times. I don't spend my life on one wheel but I do know how to launch the front but thanks for the advice :D

I haven't really bypassed it Rich. I figured the 990 would be a better bike (for me and the dodgy elbow) than the 690. It's worlds better. I've sold the 690 as I've said above so I'm where I was if you get me. Whether Mrs.A will enjoy the 990 back seat is another matter so I may still be looking at the 1290.

You probably know the other reason I haven't bought the 1290 but on top of that the Premier 1290 doesn't lift the front for more than a second. The workshop said you can't either and so did KTM. Traction/ABS/Sport mode bla bla...all tried numerous times. I don't spend my life on one wheel but I do know how to launch the front but thanks for the advice :D

I haven't tried it yet, but will give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen?:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39l1PdV1KuY

Hmm.... Is there history of fuel pumps and KTM? This would explain the riding issues I had on the first test ride. Was told the fuel pump had been replaced for second test ride - this sort of issue shouldn't exist on a new bike, and doesn't really.

Just to stay positive though, I'd give anything to be here (link) today, as in right now. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6klmoKfos

Just thinking back to the OP, and KTM sell a plug for off road riding. Maybe that is required if you want to wheelie properly.:nenau

Hoisting mingers on these bikes is a walk in the park - clearly your dealer hasn't a clue.

erm, my outdated '15 SA will easily elevate the front, as and when required (and sometimes when not!) and for as long as needed or until I ran out of bravery, sounds like euro 4 means new bikes are worse than old ones!!:blast

Hmmm.... I don't think this is it. I shouldn't be at all surprised to find that the test bike has some box ticked. Despite what others are saying it wouldn't hold a welly. I think my max is about 5 seconds before I start to twitch but even so it wasn't having it. I still think the GS version is the stand out. One button wheelie, same button no wheelie. Perfect. No faffing with software. Or better still, the 990 with no button at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABS is kicking in, you need the off-road plug Nutty has linked. Either that or just try harder...

Skip to 1:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFnqbbapGw4

Actually having just linked this video I see you've already seen it from your comment on the vid. Based on the guys response I'll refer you back to my second point above. :D

ABS is kicking in, you need the off-road plug Nutty has linked. Either that or just try harder...

Skip to 1:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFnqbbapGw4

Actually having just linked this video I see you've already seen it from your comment on the vid. Based on the guys response I'll refer you back to my second point above. :D

I'll take that on board,,,thanks. TRY HARDER. I think that's been a moto throughout my life, along with 'If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style' and 'I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing'.:beerjug:

The 1290 is having it's first service today. I've a 1090S loan bike. It wheelies as soon as you turn off TC...just as every KTM should. So it's not a 'try harder' issue.

The 1090 feels just like my 990 SMT did. Well suspended (apart from low speed damping which is pretty average) and feels a bit taller although I don't think it can be by much. Really good fun bike actually - maybe less is more. Maybe. The old style clocks and electronics feel like they're from the dark ages now though :D

I’ll leave this here....

Attachments

• 2613D416-BFF9-4634-8899-378032EB7073.jpg
    2613D416-BFF9-4634-8899-378032EB7073.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 287
The 1090 feels just like my 990 SMT did. Well suspended (apart from low speed damping which is pretty average) and feels a bit taller although I don't think it can be by much. Really good fun bike actually - maybe less is more. Maybe. The old style clocks and electronics feel like they're from the dark ages now though :D

Took my 1090 out for a gentle run around the Cotswolds on Sunday, it is indeed a fine machine, lacks the nuclear powered mid-range of the 1190, but drives well enough low down, seems to have a slight flat spot around 5k (as opposed the 1190 which has the front wheel skipping on / off the road with the TC light flashing away at this point) but then it does have a decent bit of top end rush.

The tank range working in miles impressed me almost as much as the 1190's inability to do so disappointed.

Took my 1090 out for a gentle run around the Cotswolds on Sunday, it is indeed a fine machine, lacks the nuclear powered mid-range of the 1190, but drives well enough low down, seems to have a slight flat spot around 5k (as opposed the 1190 which has the front wheel skipping on / off the road with the TC light flashing away at this point) but then it does have a decent bit of top end rush.

The tank range working in miles impressed me almost as much as the 1190's inability to do so disappointed.

Off to Hilltop with you!

Edit: No good telling you to go Hilltop unless I do the same. All booked in for April 4th. :D See you there?

Back
Top Bottom