I'm new to Basecamp ...

Deleted account 230818001

Reaction score
.. and after two weeks of mild frustration I found this..

Activity modes

I like to plot my own routes. I have no real use in allowing a dumb (but sometimes overly clever) device to take me the way it choses from A to D via B and C. In short, I want to use the device as a conventional map with what is in affect a simple magenta line displayed, just as if i had highlighted roads on a paper map and stuck it in the window of my tank bag.

I hated the way BaseCamp would decide which roads I would want to ride down, depending whether it was in car or motorcycle 'activity' mode.

I hated the way that BaseCamp would completely recalculate and alter a route (often leaving a mess of roads, U-turns) when switching from car to motorcycle 'activity' modes.

I hated the way an otherwise perfect route would recalculate itself on my Nav V, for apparently no good reason.

With help from assorted threads in UKGSer and Google, I found the solution. The key is to undo all the functions Garmin built into BaseCamp's software pretences. I used this simple video as a guide:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tf31DO7B438" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The fellow is using a PC but it's little different on a Mac.

• Click on the activity button
  • Click on manage activities, a menu will popup
  • Highlight Motorcycling
  • Click on edit
  • Click on Edit Route Preferences
  • Untick as many of the boxes as you like

Do the same in the car mode and any of the other mode choices you fancy. This will stop 99% of the nonsense.

On the Nav 5, make sure your preferences match.

• Turn on the device
  • Click Settings
  • Click Navigation
  • Click Avoidances

Untick the boxes, preferably making them the same as your Mac. Job done.

TWO TIPS:

(1) Take care selecting or deselecting 'Avoid U-Turns' or at least remember what you chose. The device / software can read some very sharp hairpins as U-turns and WILL (if you have asked it to miss them out) plot routes to avoid them. Why? Because it is a dumb machine and is only doing what you have ordered it to do. This will be very frustrating when you really want to go over the Grossglockner but the device sends you three hundred miles out of your way to avoid it.

(2) Take care selecting or deselecting 'Seasonal closures'. The device may know that col XYZ is closed in winter but it may not know that you are currently enjoying a holiday in the heat of August. It will probably create route you around the col or pass; very frustrating.

Before reading the above, every time I plotted a route, with 'motorcycle' selected as mode of transport, it ended up looking like a bowl of spaghetti when I tried to grab and move the magenta line.

My workaround solution was to select the 'lorry' symbol as my mode of transport, which works well for a more direct 'to and from' route on more major roads but not so well on, more interesting (to me on my steed), minor roads.

Just goes to show, there's no replacement for reading the instructions (and anything remotely pertaining to) properly!

And using Lorry mode, you should be able to avoid all those annoying low bridges! :D

I created a 2 day return trip after following the copied advice above, a little dragging and inclusion of waypoints to reshape, nice and easy by comparison to my early attempts.

I then recreated the same trip with 'car' (not 'lorry' as I've nothing against low bridges :blast) as the selected mode of transport and without editing any of the route preferences and found it equally as straightforward.

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of the two methods? I've only used them both to create one trip and so have very little to compare. :nenau

No advantage or disadvantage in the actual making of a route, but what the modes and the preferences for these modes do give you is the abillity to tailor your modes to suit what you want them to do for the type of vehicle you are in or on, but you are not forced to use any, you could just make a custom profile using preferences to suit all your trip planning and use that all the time. there is no right or wrong way of planning a route its your choice and what suits you.

Does it route you through red light areas and give you urges to murder prostitutes?

no, there's a special app for that. :thumb2
It also advises on the best grip for the aforementioned " bottle toss ". :D

Back
Top Bottom