What is the normal engine running temp

Max's dad

Reaction score
What's the normal engine running temp on a GSA?

Took a very quick spin out on my Euro4 GSA on Saturday morning and I must have only gone a mile before it was showing high 80's on the dash. Also engine was sounding exceptionally noisy, clicking/clattering loudly in line with the revs increasing.

It was so noisy I rode home very gently and popped into my local bike mechanic friend for his opinion. Needless to say he just said it sounds very wrong and advised me to ring dealers straight away. Booked in for a check over this week, fingers crossed it's nothing too serious as trip to wales in 4 weeks or so.

They are noisy engines, temp should be normal about 82-88 fan should cut in about 100 if sat in traffic.

Terry

It's definitely a noisy engine! But my bike generally hovers around the low 80's Its only partially water cooled and I think there is a thermostat that controls the flow of water and when it starts flowing it though the rads. Fan kicks in around high 90's / 100 degrees.

As Terry says ... but my fan cuts in at 91 and drops it to 88 and then switches off. Same when sat in traffic. Never seen it hit 100.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ear plugs.

My first GS LC was quite noisy. The replacement engine it had (the usual reason) was even noisier. The Euro IV GS I have now is quieter (a bit).

My 2014 GSA tends to run at mid to late '80's. If I spend anytime stationary or in traffic it might slip into the early 90's. I have found the water level in the system to be very important so check it regularly.:thumb

Never had any issues with it running rough though.

Seems as though temp is fairly normal then. Just paranoia kicking in.

As far as the noisy engine is concerned it really does seem a lot louder than before so better safe than sorry. May just be a case of getting a comparison with another bike at dealers. If i'm told that's how they sound then fair enough but to me it sounds like it not got a drop of oil in it, and yes I've checked and the oil level is 3/4 up the sight glass.

What's the normal engine running temp on a GSA?

Took a very quick spin out on my Euro4 GSA on Saturday morning and I must have only gone a mile before it was showing high 80's on the dash. Also engine was sounding exceptionally noisy, clicking/clattering loudly in line with the revs increasing.

It was so noisy I rode home very gently and popped into my local bike mechanic friend for his opinion. Needless to say he just said it sounds very wrong and advised me to ring dealers straight away. Booked in for a check over this week, fingers crossed it's nothing too serious as trip to wales in 4 weeks or so.

Anywhere between 74 and 99C depending upon operating conditions and ambient temperature. I would only be concerned if it went outside this range.

Yes they are noisy - ear plugs :thumb2 , probably because the cylinder heads are not masked by the fuel tank/bodywork.......:nenau

Yes they are noisy - ear plugs :thumb2 , probably because the cylinder heads are not masked by the fuel tank/bodywork.......:nenau
My GS LC runs at a steady 84C
Occasionally slightly hotter in very hot weather... Like 87C.

Even with the water cooled cylinder heads, I would say this is a noisy engine in terms of general clatter and rattle.

But you soon get used to it.
And the tractor gear box - Lol!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

My GS LC normally runs at about 82-88 and the fan kicks in at 100°C. Engine is, and always has been, horribly noisy but that's just the way it is - earplugs help immensely !

Seems as though temp is fairly normal then. Just paranoia kicking in.

As far as the noisy engine is concerned it really does seem a lot louder than before so better safe than sorry. May just be a case of getting a comparison with another bike at dealers. If i'm told that's how they sound then fair enough but to me it sounds like it not got a drop of oil in it, and yes I've checked and the oil level is 3/4 up the sight glass.
When you compare with another bike, just ensure that both at similar operating temperatures.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quick update,

Took into dealers yesterday, they managed to fit in a quick assessment of the bike while I was waiting (considering how many people was hanging around I was impressed how short my wait was).

Anyway it wasn't my imagination as the response was you need a loan bike for around a week. The crank was mentioned at which point I just thought oh dear sounds messy call me when it's fixed. Anyhow now got something a little sportier to get me about for the next week, A+ for dealer service so far. Just hope this isn't the start of a pattern of regular visits.

Back
Top Bottom