Right.....help needed

Well, that leaves a nice new 125cc as your best option. :p

Plenty of older bikes without it, in fact I have 4 bikes without ABS in the garage

Don't need the fucking EU to tell me that I need it, after 2 scary ABS induced incidents

Couldn't give a fuck about new bikes, the new GSA isn't half the bike the old ones are

I'm with JB here ... not bothered about ABS one jot, or for that matter traction control, electronic adjustable suspension, 'fly by wire' ... and all the electronic wizardry that goes with the new bike's. The 1150 GS is probably the best bike BMW ever made, after the F800GS and 650 Xcountry :D

OK, maybe not as fast as a WC/LC 1200, maybe not even as nice to ride ... but the 1150's give their very own unique pleasure of ownership and riding experiences. Easier to maintain, and fixable in far off lands. Always fit my bike's with Wilbers suspension, usually the weak point of any BMW. 20-30,000 miles on standard BMW suspension and it's shot :blast

Over 55 years of motorcycling never needed ABS (my sphincter muscle comes as standard) had a few bumps and offs and I can't think of any one of them whereby ABS might have saved me ... using my brain a little better might have though :blast

It's a choice thing, bit like dayglo ... I'm not about to start justifying my choice in not having ABS (or dayglo) do as you see fit. But I do believe people with ABS and dayglo, perceive a bubble of safety around them :rob

Yes, I know ABS is there if things should go pear shaped, but you would be surprised at the number of people, while training, under emergency braking, still don't bring the ABS in!! So in a real life situation would probably still not use it. Anyway ... it doubles your breaking distance :eek:

Nürburgring High Performances courses (three) they will have you braking to the point where you can feel the ABS about to come in ... yes yes I know that one day on the road you might not have such chance :blast

I do believe that if you swap your 1150 for a 1200 then you are now on the 'merry go round' and will continue (read 'need') to swap your bike every two or three years.

Meanwhile an 1150 (or F800GS or 650 Xcountry) are bikes for life :thumb

.... and I'll use my available money for travelling :D

Carry on regardless :thumby:

:beerjug:

If you get a bumpy road, ABS will not be your friend. In some cases actually be more dangerous as the ABS will prevent the wheel getting any traction at all while bouncing over the bumps.

Now imagine that issue on a severe decent with a continous roll on with no brakes.

Well, take a look at this poor chap finding out the hard way.

https://youtu.be/OrD65i3FUcU

Sometimes, Enduro Pro Mode... turn all that shit off...

I'm with JB here ... not bothered about ABS one jot

Anyway ABS ... it doubles your breaking distance :eek:

Meanwhile an 1150 (or F800GS or 650 Xcountry) are bikes for life :thumb

Agree with all that Mick and a discussion we've had a few times

That has been my experience with ABS, my braking distance was doubled as the bike 'just gets launched' when activated and you have to try to steer around the object you are trying to avoid

Twice.................. I have had unpleasant ABS experiences, on a BMW GS bike

What I like about the 2017 model GS Adventure is it highly customisable from the screen.

Yes you don't need it all half the time, but its a bloody luxury to have the option!

Turn it all on, turn it all off, you're choice.

When I'm on my 1250 Bandit streetfighter, I get no choices. But I still really enjoy the ride. The ONLY thing I miss on my Bandit is traction control. Its bit me in the wet. But in the dry I get to wheelie yay... actually I get to wheelie in the wet as well....

Quote from Simon Pavey, "We leave the ABS and traction control on. The technology is now good enough that it's how we are running our 1200GSs this year"

Quote from Simon Pavey, "We leave the ABS and traction control on. The technology is now good enough that it's how we are running our 1200GSs this year"

Yes, but we're not all Simon Pavey's :D

Are we?

I've seen that bugger doing full lock figure of eights on gravel and stone ... sat side saddle :eek:

No we're not, but he was talking about the bikes he runs at the BMW off road school in Wales, so if it's good enough for him ........

Yes, but we're not all Simon Pavey's :D

Are we?

I've seen that bugger doing full lock figure of eights on gravel and stone ... sat side saddle :eek:

I can fuckin do that easy, hold my beer...

I've just done 4000 miles in the last 2 weeks on my Rallye . The ESA was brilliant on the very bumpy Balkan roads , and my fellow riders were very jealous if not a bit impressed with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No we're not, but he was talking about the bikes he runs at the BMW off road school in Wales, so if it's good enough for him ........

As I said, it's about choice ... mine is based on over 55 years of motorcycling, most of it professionally, it suits me that way :thumb

I can fuckin do that easy, hold my beer...

This I want to see :D

As I said, it's about choice ... mine is based on over 55 years of motorcycling, most of it professionally, it suits me that way :thumb

This I want to see :D

Ahh, but there you have it Micky. You were a trained professional rider and an obvious expert rider. Most of us are not and I would wager that in an emergency braking scenario with no time to think, that advanced ABS is going to give you a much better chance of survival.

Ahh, but there you have it Micky. You were a trained professional rider and an obvious expert rider. Most of us are not and I would wager that in an emergency braking scenario with no time to think, that advanced ABS is going to give you a much better chance of survival.

Advanced Riders never have an emergency braking scenario with no time to think.

We all got Crystal Balls.

Better observation and you wouldn't be in an emergency situation

Back
Top Bottom