eBay sale lost

Norbsa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently put my 1150 gs on EBay without reserve where it achieved a reasonable price though a few hundred quid less than I'd planned on.
The purchaser duly arrived by train where I collected him.On sitting on the bike (sergent seat)he found it too tall i.e. he couldn't reach the floor to his satisfaction.I sort of assumed that he would have done his research and found the ergonomics suited him.Apparently he'd only sat on an 1100gs and now found the 1150 too high even with seat on lowest setting.Having look up the seat heights they're the same!
I'm confident the purchaser was genuine,I can only think that the sergent seat is wider?All something of a pain as relisting smacks of some problem with sale item.
If I could figure out how to download pics from my iPad I'd advertise on this site.
ce-la-vie...

The Sargent seat has a pan which is a bit wider than standard, meaning your legs would be splayed out slightly more..

If that was all that he found he didn't like I'm surprised he didn't have the sense to ride away on it, sell the Sargent and buy a standard ( or low ) seat for most likely less dosh than he sold the Sargent for :confused:

I dont do ebay but I thought if you have the highest bid you have bought it? As in thats it unless theres somthing wrong with it. I think you are been messed sround. JJH

As Bryn says, the Sargent seat is wide which can give the feeling of the bike being taller... But hardly a fault with the bike.

I agree with JJH. It's a bit bloody naughty on the buyers side. But you can offer it to the last bidder, before the person who 'won' it...

Being cynical, make sure your place wasn't cased and now they'll be back for it by other means! Lock it up!

Make sure you cancel the auction transaction on eBay or they will still take their fees regardless if the sale went through or not

I recently put my 1150 gs on EBay without reserve where it achieved a reasonable price though a few hundred quid less than I'd planned on.
The purchaser duly arrived by train where I collected him.On sitting on the bike (sergent seat)he found it too tall i.e. he couldn't reach the floor to his satisfaction.I sort of assumed that he would have done his research and found the ergonomics suited him.Apparently he'd only sat on an 1100gs and now found the 1150 too high even with seat on lowest setting.Having look up the seat heights they're the same!
I'm confident the purchaser was genuine,I can only think that the sergent seat is wider?All something of a pain as relisting smacks of some problem with sale item.
If I could figure out how to download pics from my iPad I'd advertise on this site.
ce-la-vie...

I'll swap you a standard for a Sargent-- give him a call and see if he's still interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks,I think perhaps legally you are obliged to complete purchase if highest bidder but I don't want to force it.I have cancelled the sale to avoid final fee.I have also passed on offers of a low seat but not interested..
It's a good bike and I'd like to keep it but having that and a 1200 is daft so I'll have to go through it all again,well not all I hope!
Cheers..

I'm sure there must be a way to highlight people to ebay who dont complete their purchace JJH

Thanks,I think perhaps legally you are obliged to complete purchase if highest bidder but I don't want to force it.I have cancelled the sale to avoid final fee.I have also passed on offers of a low seat but not interested..
It's a good bike and I'd like to keep it but having that and a 1200 is daft so I'll have to go through it all again,well not all I hope!
Cheers..

Wouldn't go through the hassle of Ebay to flog a bike... Why not advertise it on here?

I hope you made the messer make his own way back to the train station.

I'm confident the purchaser was genuine

Id suggest not,this sounds like a change of mind though this could work out in your favour if you get what you want for the bike elsewhere.

If you re-list on eBay I use the classified ad option, fixed price (think it's around £15) and you generally tend to get less messers/nobheads/dreamers. If someone like you had turns up to have a look but finds he's too short you haven't got all the aggro of cancelling the advert still runs until you end it.

Just used eBay classified to sell my Merc E320 estate, short MOT but said I would put 12 months on it if it got asking price. Received a flew derisory offers the a chap offered price less £350. Figured it was similar to what I would achieve if I had to do MOT etc so accepted offer.
A contract is made at that point and I am happy that the guy came over and collected this morning.
Not sure what you can do if buyer backs out even if a contract exists, the hassle to sue for the sale or the cost and buggaration of a re list would be a PITA.

As the years have gone by since I first started using ebay to sell stuff I no longer wanted in the UK and Europe ( a separate place nowadays, dontcha know....ugh ) , I've noticed that their Selling charges have inexorably risen each year, to the extent that many people don't use them anymore in favour of outlets like this one, or like Gumtree ( no charges at all, at all ) and autotrader bikes.
Gumtree is the one that everybody forgets about. The last 3 bikes and a car that I've bought in the space of four years have all been seamlessly conducted on their site. PS I have no connection with them, apart from being a very satisfied customer.
AL in s.e. Spain

Advertise it on here. Send me a link to the ebay add and I'll post up the pics in the ad.

Back
Top Bottom