New to me 2018 Rallye... Few noob questions

Captain Puke

Reaction score
Hiyers,

I had an 1150 years ago and have had a few years in between with other, less salubrious markes... but collected a 20k mile 2018 Rally TE with TFT dash and all that last week. Sadly, I've had to park it and disappear for work but will be back to it at the weekend.

A few questions;

- My bike has come with the two piece standard GS seats and I'd much prefer the one piece ADV style seat that IFAIK would have come on a Rallye model. I'm 6'2" (that's 187cm in new money) and have a bony arse so am never really comfortable for long, I'd prefer the ADV seat as I find moving around regularly best for me but... I expected the second hand market would be awash with ADV seats, but I can't find any! Am I looking in the wrong places (FB marketplace, eBay etc) or have I miscalculated here?

- The seat the peg height seems really low, I wasn't expecting the feel cramped in the knees. I've got the seat set at max height but still feels low, even my stumpy (5'9") pal can flat foot the bike with the seat in low. I was wondering if someone had specced the low suspension but not an option on the original VIN options list and AKAIK the 'low' version of the rallye would only be possible with the 20mm shorter standard GS shocks, or low low shocks, as they are the ESA shocks I would imagine this would have been silly expensive for someone to do after delivery. To be really sure, any other way to verify this short of asking dealer to verify shock part numbers?

- While researching the seat height issue I found a thread saying you can tell which the three height options (low, standard and GSA - correct me if I'm wrong here) from how far back the centre stand comes back referencing the rear wheel/tyre, mine looks to have a standard height centre stand but am I right in thinking the Rallye never came with a centre stand? Again not on original VIN options so I imagine added after delivery, so having a standard length item not necessarily a sign the the shocks aren't GSA length but thought I'd mention it.

- Front brakes.... ALOT of lever travel! Seem to have good power once into the bite zone but way too much lever travel to get there - nearly came a cropper when two finger braking into a roundabout and trapped the two little fingers against the throttle! Pads look to be very low (a lot of piston showing) so all get some new pads on order and change fluid while I'm at it; is this a common complaint f the front Brembo's on the 2018? And other ads other than OEM I should consider as long as I'm changing?

- Footpegs - as above, I'm looking to improve leg room, also the lack of rubber dampeners on the Rallye pegs means I'm in the market for an upgrade here. Cheapest way is OEM GS pegs but these don't offer any drop. Have seen offering from BMW's own accessories, Wunderlich and SW Motech - any others I should consider?

Cheers chaps and here's to many more noob posts from me!

Luke

Hi, I have a 2017, likely similar except no TFT. Seat, sorry, no idea, I have the 2 piece also. I'm about same height as you.

Suspension, if you have ESA, play with the electronic pre-load - mine moves quite a lot between low and max, low I can also flat foot, max is quite a lot higher.

Foot pegs - found the stock really uncomfortable and just fitted pivot pegs, think they're great. Was on the US website, setup a login and added to my basket, then didn't buy. A day later they emailed a 10% discount code, which paid for postage basically. Super easy to fgit and much much better.

I’ve just gone to a R1250 Rallye 2021 from a 2017 Rallye. I do notice quite a difference in the ergonomics especially seat height to feet on pegs to being able to flat foot it with seat set to high (I’m 6ft). I’ve not played too much with it yet so others more knowledgeable will give you more info I’m sure.

IMHO I’ve got the one piece seat and it’s pretty hard/uncomfortable and the standard 2 piece seat is far more comfortable. I don’t want to sell it sorry, but if I had the choice again I’d not buy it.

I’ve just gone to a R1250 Rallye 2021 from a 2017 Rallye. I do notice quite a difference in the ergonomics especially seat height to feet on pegs to being able to flat foot it with seat set to high (I’m 6ft). I’ve not played too much with it yet so others more knowledgeable will give you more info I’m sure.

IMHO I’ve got the one piece seat and it’s pretty hard/uncomfortable and the standard 2 piece seat is far more comfortable. I don’t want to sell it sorry, but if I had the choice again I’d not buy it.

Gone from a 2017 Rallye to a 2022 Rallye. Both with standard seats. The seat is a little softer. Otherwise I can tell no difference other than mechanical…

Gone from a 2017 Rallye to a 2022 Rallye. Both with standard seats. The seat is a little softer. Otherwise I can tell no difference other than mechanical…

Just looked up official dimensions on seat height:

R1200 = 895mm - 915mm
R1250 = 850mm - 870mm

Just looked up official dimensions on seat height:

R1200 = 895mm - 915mm
R1250 = 850mm - 870mm

No idea what you are looking at, but I think I would have noticed a 45mm difference in height, using standard seats, after 50k on two previous r1200gs…

Hiyers,

I had an 1150 years ago and have had a few years in between with other, less salubrious markes... but collected a 20k mile 2018 Rally TE with TFT dash and all that last week. Sadly, I've had to park it and disappear for work but will be back to it at the weekend.

A few questions;

- My bike has come with the two piece standard GS seats and I'd much prefer the one piece ADV style seat that IFAIK would have come on a Rallye model. I'm 6'2" (that's 187cm in new money) and have a bony arse so am never really comfortable for long, I'd prefer the ADV seat as I find moving around regularly best for me but... I expected the second hand market would be awash with ADV seats, but I can't find any! Am I looking in the wrong places (FB marketplace, eBay etc) or have I miscalculated here?

- The seat the peg height seems really low, I wasn't expecting the feel cramped in the knees. I've got the seat set at max height but still feels low, even my stumpy (5'9") pal can flat foot the bike with the seat in low. I was wondering if someone had specced the low suspension but not an option on the original VIN options list and AKAIK the 'low' version of the rallye would only be possible with the 20mm shorter standard GS shocks, or low low shocks, as they are the ESA shocks I would imagine this would have been silly expensive for someone to do after delivery. To be really sure, any other way to verify this short of asking dealer to verify shock part numbers?

- While researching the seat height issue I found a thread saying you can tell which the three height options (low, standard and GSA - correct me if I'm wrong here) from how far back the centre stand comes back referencing the rear wheel/tyre, mine looks to have a standard height centre stand but am I right in thinking the Rallye never came with a centre stand? Again not on original VIN options so I imagine added after delivery, so having a standard length item not necessarily a sign the the shocks aren't GSA length but thought I'd mention it.

- Front brakes.... ALOT of lever travel! Seem to have good power once into the bite zone but way too much lever travel to get there - nearly came a cropper when two finger braking into a roundabout and trapped the two little fingers against the throttle! Pads look to be very low (a lot of piston showing) so all get some new pads on order and change fluid while I'm at it; is this a common complaint f the front Brembo's on the 2018? And other ads other than OEM I should consider as long as I'm changing?

- Footpegs - as above, I'm looking to improve leg room, also the lack of rubber dampeners on the Rallye pegs means I'm in the market for an upgrade here. Cheapest way is OEM GS pegs but these don't offer any drop. Have seen offering from BMW's own accessories, Wunderlich and SW Motech - any others I should consider?

Cheers chaps and here's to many more noob posts from me!

Luke

I’ve got a 2017 GSA Rallye and found the one piece Rallye seat unbearable after 200 miles. I opted for the Sargent seat, but it’s 2 piece and not cheap. Probably best though. Found the stock pegs a little high too - so opted for Motorrad’s own adjustable ones. They have spring loaded rubber inserts too that improve comfort. Again, not cheap (obviously).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom