Rebuilt shocks

comberjohn

Reaction score
Anyone who has had their Showa ESA shocks rebuilt, does the ride height change?
Can they be lowered say, an inch while being serviced or would that be a bad thing?

Mine were non-esa showa's but they were same length as before, I also went for a stronger spring. You could specify a shorter spring though.

Most reputable suspension places will have no problem's tailoring them to your needs.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Although i have no doubt someone could do it i don't suppose a rebuilder would be able to actually shorten a shock. The length, i can only think would be determined at the
manufacturing stage as was a Maxton shock i had made once.

I have had my leaking rear ESA shock repaired but i don't think it could be called a rebuild and, of course, the length remained as was.

Springing of course is a different matter as is pre-load but as you have ESA you can't just wind it down.

I am a 69 yo. short arse at 5' 7" and a 29" inside leg and have been on many different roads, trails and tracks on my GS and yes it's awkward at times but i do manage,
mostly; i do manage to fall over with some style on occasion :blast That said, i would be very reluctant to give up my 1200 as it does what i want it to do very well.

I have looked at the 800 GS before now and that is no better, in fact, it's worse!

By the way, you wouldn't want an inch off the rear shock as it goes 3 to 1 so, the rear of the bike would lower by 3 inches :eek:

I hope you find a satisfactory solution to your quandary :thumb2

John why not talk to Clarence Bell on Cardy Road, Greyabbey, He was the Ohlins Ireland agent at time

I think he used to go by PLR 028 4278 8854

You could have an internal spacer fitted so that the shock can't fully extend. Alter preload (or spring length) to match.
Loads of folk do this on enduro bikes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You could have an internal spacer fitted so that the shock can't fully extend. Alter preload (or spring length) to match.
Loads of folk do this on enduro bikes.

He has an ESA setup so the pre load is pre determined at each setting and not infinitely variable between an upper and lower limit.

It won't be beyond the wit of a suspension guy to shorten the spring /fit shorter spring/machine shock body to suit.
The important bit, is the internal spacer. Without this the shock will extend to much when un weighted.
I don't need shortened shocks, but plenty of my enduro pals have had theirs shortened like this. Without the spacer the lowered bike is completely unstable.

Another idea may be to have eccentric mounts machined up?
A new set of custom built shocks would be nicer though!

I'm sure Wilbers have a solution. It would be a "bust open the piggy bank" job I'd imagine.

It won't be beyond the wit of a suspension guy to shorten the spring /fit shorter spring/machine shock body to suit.
The important bit, is the internal spacer. Without this the shock will extend to much when un weighted.
I don't need shortened shocks, but plenty of my enduro pals have had theirs shortened like this. Without the spacer the lowered bike is completely unstable.

Not that simple, i would guess.
Again, i will point out that he has an ESA set up which, if he wants to keep it, complicates matters.

Would I be right in thinking that Wilburs use the existing BMW ESA modules and transplant them onto the custom built Wilburs shocks ??

Not that simple, i would guess.
Again, i will point out that he has an ESA set up which, if he wants to keep it, complicates matters.
Maybe I'm not explaining clearly enough?

The newly fitted spacer stops the shock (think damping parts) from full extending. The shortened spring (or alternative) suits this new length.
ESA is untouched and still works- ie. ESA can still move preload between 3 settings, and damping between 3 setting..... The shock just won't fully extend!

As you have previously correctly asserted, we only need to make a small difference at the (rear) shock, to get a big difference at the (rear) wheel. (The front has a lower ratio, so needs greater fettling.)

Would I be right in thinking that Wilburs use the existing BMW ESA modules and transplant them onto the custom built Wilburs shocks ??

That is correct Wilbers use the BMW ESA units on the Wilbers shocks. I use 30mm lowered Wilbers ESA shocks on a 2012 GS , very pleased with them.
The only downside with the Wilbers is that you cannot easily remove the ESA unit from the shock as you can with the BMW standard shock.
The reason is that the ESA unit needs to be fitted from the bottom of the Wilbers and will not clear the botton eye so it has to be removed.
The problem is this has the rebound damping motor in it and there is a risk of damaging the control needle if you do not first de-gas the shock. Then the shock needs re-gassing.

Maybe I'm not explaining clearly enough?

The newly fitted spacer stops the shock (think damping parts) from full extending. The shortened spring (or alternative) suits this new length.
ESA is untouched and still works- ie. ESA can still move preload between 3 settings, and damping between 3 setting..... The shock just won't fully extend!

As you have previously correctly asserted, we only need to make a small difference at the (rear) shock, to get a big difference at the (rear) wheel. (The front has a lower ratio, so needs greater fettling.)

I do get what you are talking about and it is an option but, how viable it is for this application i do wonder when other options are available :thumb2

I do get what you are talking about and it is an option but, how viable it is for this application i do wonder when other options are available :thumb2
Agreed.... I dont think it's worth doing really. You still end up with a fairly poor suspension unit, plus you now have reduced ground clearance, and compromised geometry.
I think a better option is to buy aftermarket suspension. If WESA is avoided, then it's easy to replace standard shocks if selling the bike, then get a good proportion of money back by selling the posh shocks.
You have a better bike for not much outlay over the longer term

Slighty off topic, but I'm well pleased with my Touratech /Tractive units. I'll write a report when back in UK. I can give an appraisal of Ohlins v WP v Hyperpro v Tractive v standard. Sorry... Only a brief ride of Wilbers though; (but l'll attempt to reason why I personally would not buy Wilbers in the report; although many people love them!).

Agreed.... I dont think it's worth doing really. You still end up with a fairly poor suspension unit, plus you now have reduced ground clearance, and compromised geometry.
I think a better option is to buy aftermarket suspension. If WESA is avoided, then it's easy to replace standard shocks if selling the bike, then get a good proportion of money back by selling the posh shocks.

Slighty off topic, but I'm well pleased with my Touratech /Tractive units. I'll write a report when back in UK. I can give an appraisal of Ohlins v WP v Hyperpro v Tractive v standard. Sorry... Only a brief ride of Wilbers though; (but l'll attempt to reason why I personally would not buy Wilbers in the report; although many people love them!).

I look forward to reading that, cheers :thumb2

Shocks can be shortened by fitting a shorter piston rod. If the parts are available. If you want 25mm lower ride height and the swing arm / shock ratio is 5:1 you need the piston rod to be 5mm shorter. You may also need a shorter spring by the same amount. The rebuild company will advise on the details.

Wilbers WESA-X units look suspiciously similar to the TT/Tractive units. Though I cannot detect from the adverts if they adjust ride height and damping or damping only.

I would love to know how a bike would behave with airbag springs. Air springs do exist but they all seem to be twin shock long stroke variety.

Air adjustment of ride height with normal road springs would be nice as it could be fast acting and done on the fly.

Back
Top Bottom