New display on GS Adventure Rallye

hi222

Reaction score
Hi all

Having seen the new GS adventure Rallye announcement I wondered if anyone can clarify something.

If you purchase a new GS Adventure Rallye TE do you get the new tft speedo/info display included or do you have to go for the £595 connectivity option. And if you don't for the connectivity option are you left with the old existing clock display. I like the new rallye colour. i currently have a fairly new gs adventure, but unless the new tft display is included it seems a lot of money to change to a new paint job upgrade.

thanks

It's an optional extra. Standard clocks unless you pays your money for connectivity and the tft is part of that package. As I understand anyways.

Just up the road at Market Deeping is Gear4 KTM. The 1290S and R has the tft as standard. The sat nav already displays the caller if you so wish.

Nutty takes crap photos

There is not an infinite fund of customer goodwill towards BMW, and the competition is getting stronger, so I think making the TFT an expensive option is marketing madness. I think they are trying to have their cake and eat it - i.e. wanting to be seen to be as advanced as the competition, but at the same time trying to make more money from doing so. In my opinion they should have made the TFT display standard, providing only the instruments and bike menus, and I would be happy with that as it would address one of the current major weaknesses versus the competition.

Then, if they must find some way of extracting more dosh from customers, they could make the connectivity stuff optional (e.g. smartphone Bluetooth pairing for basic arrow based GPS, music playing, making/receiving calls) - with these features to be unlocked by the dealer on payment of a reasonable fee, say £250 - though personally I wouldn't bother with any of that stuff. I need a more advanced GPS which can have pre-planned routes and I'm not interested in phone or music on the move, though the Nav V has music anyway.

Unlike what I believe KTM do, they haven't even provided a compartment with USB power to hold the smartphone. You have to make your own arrangements for storing and powering a smartphone despite paying £595 for a display which can't provide any of the connectivity features without one - not good enough IMO.

That's a bit of a pain really. I like the idea of trying the new display on a new rallye, I just don't need it connecting to my phone, ipod, helmet, pad, pacemaker or anything else really lol

so that's another 595 if I want to change for a new colour and tft, that's life I suppose, enjoy it before its gone springs to mind lol :surrender:rob:beer:

The TFT display will no doubt become standard in a year or so, once they've squeezed a load of money out of gullible punters first or when they bring out the end of line Triple Blacks before the new 1250's hit the floor.

The TFT display will no doubt become standard in a year or so, once they've squeezed a load of money out of gullible punters first or when they bring out the end of line Triple Blacks before the new 1250's hit the floor.

It's not simply about squeezing the max out of people now: it's also about not making existing stock (within BMW or it dealers) redundant over night.

It's not simply about squeezing the max out of people now: it's also about not making existing stock (within BMW or it dealers) redundant over night.

In other words a continuation of BMW's existing strategy of trying to blur the lines between different iterations, including bringing out special editions, all of which, cynic that I am, seems to be designed to make it easier for salesmen to offload last year's versions, hoping that the average punter will not realise that the bike they are buying at full price isn't up to the latest spec. I guess to have a date after which all bikes only had TFT instruments would make it too obvious for that to work, at least for any but the doziest of buyers!

As an example, when I was looking to buy a GS I had a salesman tell me that two 2016 bikes he had for sale both had the latest gearbox mods. When I pointed out that only one had the Euro 4 reflectors on the fork legs, he then admitted that the other bike would have been built before the gearbox upgrades were introduced. I find that with BMW Motorrad you really have to do your research to know what you are getting, probably more so than any other manufacturer I have experience of.

Hi all

Having seen the new GS adventure Rallye announcement I wondered if anyone can clarify something.

If you purchase a new GS Adventure Rallye TE do you get the new tft speedo/info display included or do you have to go for the £595 connectivity option. And if you don't for the connectivity option are you left with the old existing clock display. I like the new rallye colour. i currently have a fairly new gs adventure, but unless the new tft display is included it seems a lot of money to change to a new paint job upgrade.

thanks

Yep thats right its an optional extra.BUT, if you are a good haggler it is poss you might just might get them to drop a bit in price...sort the bike deal out and stick to the price INC the TFT. Any decent salesman should be meeting you with a deal for it..if not walk away....while your walking you might want to consider that to get the best of the TFT, you will need a BMW helmet , oh ! and a BMW comms system !
the current BMW bluetooth audio system is a nightmare for SENA ,so if the TFT is like that too ??

Yep thats right its an optional extra.BUT, if you are a good haggler it is poss you might just might get them to drop a bit in price...sort the bike deal out and stick to the price INC the TFT. Any decent salesman should be meeting you with a deal for it..if not walk away....while your walking you might want to consider that to get the best of the TFT, you will need a BMW helmet , oh ! and a BMW comms system !
the current BMW bluetooth audio system is a nightmare for SENA ,so if the TFT is like that too ??

A bit like the NavV then, easyfor the salesman to throw into the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per dealer the TFT display will be a £1000 option, it will only be available on bikes after a certain build date (so be careful if ordering a 2018 model) which will probably mean it cannot be retrofitted and they are as yet unsure as to whether it will be available on all models ie basic, XE and TE or only the higher specced bikes

Per dealer the TFT display will be a £1000 option, it will only be available on bikes after a certain build date (so be careful if ordering a 2018 model) which will probably mean it cannot be retrofitted and they are as yet unsure as to whether it will be available on all models ie basic, XE and TE or only the higher specced bikes

The configurator shows it as a £595 option? £1000 is crazy don't even know how they can justify £595:eek:

I've just bought a new GS with no extras/packages whatsoever and do you know...I don't miss any of it!

If I rode all year round I would have gone for heated grips, but at £250 (as I recall) if I do decide I can't live without them in early spring Oxford will do for a fraction of the cost.

Free yourself, your wallet will thank you for it! :D ;)

Its Funny really, if you go back 35 years (that sounds a lot, but I still feel 17 in my head, shame my body hasn't fared so well, anyway) 35 years ago we had no mobiles, no internet, no 100s of sky tv channels, no electronic everything in cars and bikes, no broadband, no apps, no a million passwords to remember, we didn't have 50 types of everything in a supermarket and no isis and we really had a simpler world , but I suppose every generation says the same.

I like a bit of new stuff and technology as long as it relatively simple and I can understand how to work it. I usually delete or ignore what I can do without, but like everyone else we all have a choice to what we spend our money on. the companies will always try to sell us more stuff for more money, no change there, so I suppose what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is as long were happy with what we all choose to buy and it doesn't hurt anyone, who cares, I just cant fight it any more so I just enjoy it while I can. i'll probably pay the 595 and hope I like it more than the current clocks, and I still really like the rallye colours.

I hope my rant gave you all a smile :jes:banghead::confused:

Back
Top Bottom