Played with the Sport suspension

Nutty

Reaction score
I'd not tried the sport suspension in 'Max' mode before, until yesterday, and the difference between the normal 'Auto' setting I run the bike in, and 'Max' was extremely noticeable. As well as raising the bike considerably, the suspension was extremely harsh, banging over every bump in the road.

I'm sure you'd only use this setting for off-road, but has anyone else tried it on the road, solo, and noticed the same?

As soon as I put it back to 'Auto', it was back to soaking up all the bumps, and delivering supreme levels of comfort, so I won't lose any sleep!

And no, I haven't read the manual, which probably says the 'Max' setting is only for off-road, but I want to hear from anyone else that's also played with the settings.

I'd not tried the sport suspension in 'Max' mode before, until yesterday, and the difference between the normal 'Auto' setting I run the bike in, and 'Max' was extremely noticeable. As well as raising the bike considerably, the suspension was extremely harsh, banging over every bump in the road.

I'm sure you'd only use this setting for off-road, but has anyone else tried it on the road, solo, and noticed the same?

As soon as I put it back to 'Auto', it was back to soaking up all the bumps, and delivering supreme levels of comfort, so I won't lose any sleep!

And no, I haven't read the manual, which probably says the 'Max' setting is only for off-road, but I want to hear from anyone else that's also played with the settings.

Just been out to that very thing, and max is bloody high and hard, auto great, but I still can't see what the difference between dynamic and road suspension settings are except the dynamic suspension with auto seems harder than road and auto.

About to go read the manual, but one things for sure set it in auto and a low seat the things a couple of inches higher than the old TB.

I found that too, it's noticibly higher than the older bike I traded in, I'm running mine on dyna 'min' now which seems about the same as the old bike, 'road' is pretty soft & only use it for level crossings & bumpy roads..

Just been out to that very thing, and max is bloody high and hard, auto great, but I still can't see what the difference between dynamic and road suspension settings are except the dynamic suspension with auto seems harder than road and auto.

About to go read the manual, but one things for sure set it in auto and a low seat the things a couple of inches higher than the old TB.

Had another play today. Road is softer, so the back will bog down a bit, under acceleration. Dynamic firms it up, so the bike won't bog down as much. Stick the suspension into Max, with Dynamic selected, and it's as stiff as a board, and not very comfortable on any but the smoothest of roads.

Why would you have really stiff/harsh suspension off road? :confused:

Andres

So, are you saying that the setting you used is recommended for off road by WMB? I'm (genuinely) a bit confused.

Andres

As BMW market the Sport suspension option for those that want to go off-road, I would imagine so.

Ive left mine in Auto only switching between road and dynamic bit of a waste really but it suites me, road is nice and soft for when just riding normally and Dynamic for when im getting a wriggle on

my confusion is with the rider modes I was told by the stealer that the modes were programmable, so ive tried to look at the handbook but cant find what I want which is

Same throttle response in road as in dynamic pro but with the same traction and ABS as road or take the traction and ABS up one in Dynamic pro but it dont seem possible !!

Rob

If anyone finds out please share.. I'm using the Low setting in Dyna most of the time, only change to Road over bumps or crossing railway lines, it seems a bit of a backward step from my 2014 Gs.. suppose there must be a reason tho

I found that too, it's noticibly higher than the older bike I traded in, I'm running mine on dyna 'min' now which seems about the same as the old bike, 'road' is pretty soft & only use it for level crossings & bumpy roads..

If you specified the "Sport" suspension on the Rallye, then I believe it basically has the suspension from the GSA which is 20 mm taller than the standard GS and Rallye. That could explain why you are needing to run the preload in the MIN setting which is a bit of a shame as I find the AUTO preload mode works really well to adjust for different loads when I have a pillion and/or luggage. The other advantage of AUTO mode is that it also varies the damping to suit the amount of preload being used. I suspect MIN and MAX preload modes probably have fixed preset damping.

Ive left mine in Auto only switching between road and dynamic bit of a waste really but it suites me, road is nice and soft for when just riding normally and Dynamic for when im getting a wriggle on

my confusion is with the rider modes I was told by the stealer that the modes were programmable, so ive tried to look at the handbook but cant find what I want which is

Same throttle response in road as in dynamic pro but with the same traction and ABS as road or take the traction and ABS up one in Dynamic pro but it dont seem possible !!

Rob

If you are referring to a 2017 bike, which I assume you are as you refer to the AUTO preload mode, then you should be able to partially get what you want by changing the the DTC mode in Dynamic Pro to use the ROAD setting. You could also change the engine mode from Dyna to Road or Rain, but I don't see why would do this as you might as well just use Road or Rain mode instead of Dynamic Pro. You cannot change the ABS setting in Dynamic Pro - you can only do so in Enduro Pro mode.

Complicated.. can see I'm gonna have to spend some extra time with the manual..
incidentally I didn't spec sport suspension but I got dealer to do a spec list as I thought it was too high in Auto mode.. I struggle to reach the floor in auto & im not short in the leg..

with Dynamic selected, and it's as stiff as a board, and not very comfortable on any but the smoothest of roads.

So OK for just about the whole of France then. And Austria. Germany. Belgium. Just about everywhere other than the UK. The more I travel the more discontent I get with living here. :blast

Back
Top Bottom