single cam or TC.. much better or not??

Agreed.... Still looking.. A few things about... But in no rush��
Something will turn up.
I wasn't even looking for a GS when mine showed up.
Good ones are around, it's just a case of finding them

Don't think you'll find Post 08 without TC and ABS (although I may be wrong) but ESA wasn't Standard Fitment.
Incidentally, Post 08 has the Mk 2 ABS and no Servo so no Worries, as long as the Fluids are changed regularly.
Just to set the OP's mind at ease about ABS
GSA built after Sep '06 have the newer ABS2.

Sent from a U11

Beaver.....post 08 bikes, don't let the electronics or ABS put you off. In 70k mileage I have not had any problems with ABS, TC or ESA. Of that lot the ESA I could easily live without. What WILL go is the rear shock (rather than the ESA motor). A replacement shock with ESA unit is extremely expensive. Fortunately they can be very successfully rebuilt for about £140 all in despite what BMW will tell you.

The biggest expense is likely to be the final drive....again, likely to go at some point for a cost of about £450 for a recondition better than new. Save £150 a year rather than £350 on a warranty and this should see most unscheduled maintenance costs sorted.

I would go for a GS/A in good condition with this stuff over an average condition without every time.

My 08 has 70K miles. The ABS is fine though I'm on my second speedo sensor (rear ABS sensor).

I don't like how fast the rear disc wears down (all models do that) but I do like how the bike feels when the linked (ABS) braking is working. BMW dialled some fork dive into the front suspension which the linked rear braking resolves. When ABS is off the bike feels like it pitches a lot more.

Whatever bike you get go for maintenance and condition rather than low miles. Unused bikes suffer quite badly with brake seals, alternators and hidden corrosion.

Got one :)

2010 GS, so TC, very nice condition indeed, full boxes inc tank bag, 25K, ABS, all for Just under £5300.. Bargain..
But does need a small service. As its a keeper (if I get on with it).. do I service myself... But guess thats a whole new post....

Thanks for all your help / comments

I've had a 06reg, 58reg and my current 11reg TC. I bought the 58 reg new and I made a big mistake selling it, I went all Harley Davidson for a couple of years, better now. Whilst I love my TC and will not be selling it I still feel the 58 felt smoother at higher revs, though not as responsive as the TC. I had to sell the 06 as the servo brakes got on my wick when at standstill holding the brake on.
In short, if I were buying now I'd be more than happy with a late SC but wouldn't go back from my TC.

it's liberating reading through these posts and realising that my "lay mans" comparison/observation of the SC versus the TC (post 4) is pretty much what all else have said. A nice feeling to know that one does kinda understand a bike, even if it is not expressed in the right way/terms.

Hi DeuceBG, I have a very nice (mint) Mk1 Bandit for sale in black.. only 13K miles from new if your interested? LOL

Stanley... really.. the Single cam has little push rods?... just like the original R100's? I'd assumed they were chain?
Yep, chain driven cam in the head, then little pushrods to the rockers.
Saves the awful cam chain routing, but adds to the vibration.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Got one :)

2010 GS, so TC, very nice condition indeed, full boxes inc tank bag, 25K, ABS, all for Just under £5300.. Bargain..
But does need a small service. As its a keeper (if I get on with it).. do I service myself... But guess thats a whole new post....

Thanks for all your help / comments

I have been following your thread that buy of yours seems a good buy to me. I just wish I was up to riding the 1200 again.
Good luck with it and enjoy it while you can.

the twin cam i had was a 2010,in white,no abs,no fancy suspension no nowt and was no bother at all no problems other than one coil stick ,unlike the earlier single cam gs,s i had one was a 2005 and the other was a 2008 ,they were both problematic ,ie fuel controllers and fuel strips,coil packs,bearings etc etc .
so if you can afford it to my mind get the twin cam ,its a far superior bike .

I have been following your thread that buy of yours seems a good buy to me. I just wish I was up to riding the 1200 again.
Good luck with it and enjoy it while you can.

Hi.. Thanks for that.. Its always hard to know what to buy once they are out of the main dealers and you cant have a go... All you can go on is peoples comments. Think I've got it right.. If not I should get my money back if I sell within 12 months .. If we do get on it may be with me 18 years like the Bandit LOL....
Hope you get back on yours soon!

Fizzer.. Got one... See previous page, and its a TC ��

I’ve had mine since 2012 but running costs have been a lot more than Yammie Diversion 900 that I had for similar time and miles.
I could have found a better front end and fitted a Wilbers at the back & still had loads to spare.
What price character I guess.

Just bought a '07 that had front and rear Wilbers fitted 1000miles ago (by a guy not a million miles away from my weight)......after putting 50,000kms on my previous '07 in 2 years...I can say with my hand on my heart....suspension is the #1 modification you can make to these bikes.

People who have done the Wilbers say do the suspension first followed by a Hilltop remap. You can add fancy farkle exhausts later as the engine ECU will accommodate the additional air flow.

Just fitted my AF-Xied to my new (to me) '07 GSA, put in the K&N as well, was holding off on the filter until the fuelling units where fitted as the bike has a full exhaust and I didn't want to do any damage.

I fitted the units on setting 8 this time around (setting 7 on the last bike)...............Jaysus, she's flyin!!

Sounds interesting...just picked up some AF-Xied units for my old 55k 2005 1200 and instructions say start at 7 and go from there. As I'm running a straight through BOS exhaust I'm wondering if 8 is the way to go from the off.
Although after reading the dropped valve thread I'm more concerned how clattery the engine sounds lately and the increased oil consumption.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom