Ride Magazine GS nicked....

No good can ever come from visiting Wales :rob

I was visiting just outside Swansea two weeks ago at the BMW Off Road School. Simon Pavey's Crew ensure good stuff now comes out of Wales.

I learned a lot.

Sad part is even if you adapt, and identify the risk and take the approiate action, you still cannot stop them taking what is yours.

The Owners are always the losers, you pay more to try and protect it better, you pay more to insure it from thieves, and when it is stolen you still have to pay excess to get a reduced payment of what it is worth to you. and then the worry, and depression, it could all happen again.

I disagree.

You are preventing opportunists who don't arrive equipped and skilled. That alone will give you a huge head start.

Allowing petty criminals and opportunists an easy target is just not helping an undesirable situation.

A criminal who needs to turn up with crew members and angle grinders to steal is very different from a solo, or couple of lads on the hunt for easy pickings because they are misguided, desperate, bored or building their confidence for bigger targets.

The end result can be changed by applying some preventative measures to ensure its beyond there basic skill, tool set or ambition.

The heavy duty crews you'll just slow them down, sometimes that alone can be enough to let them chase another easy target. Also the 'professional' crews won't last long before they are caught. It's the random opportunists that are the bigger problem self educating from YouTube and incarceration.

Just think, and help your own situation. Some applied preventative measures and simple security might just keep you on your bike longer.

I suspect multi-racial and ethnic gangs operate to different rules. You leave it unprotected.... you're asking for it.

Don't give them a head start?!

With a new bike like that, they won't be able to start it without the key. Or will they ?
Doubtless it'll be in bits by now, or on its way to Eastern Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a new bike like that, they won't be able to start it without the key. Or will they ?
Doubtless it'll be in bits by now, or on its way to Eastern Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you say Eastern Europe?

I have noticed :
Some police forces use covert capture cameras in car parks... To catch car thieves.
I wonder... Do we know if any police forces are doing the same with motorbikes?
I think this would catch quite a lot of opportunitistic thieves and once word got out or the tactics were publicised... Could be an effective ish deterrent?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I have noticed :
Some police forces use covert capture cameras in car parks... To catch car thieves.
I wonder... Do we know if any police forces are doing the same with motorbikes?
I think this would catch quite a lot of opportunitistic thieves and once word got out or the tactics were publicised... Could be an effective ish deterrent?

Motorcycle thieves tend to wear helmets so cant be identified. They dont care if they are being filmed.

Motorcycle thieves tend to wear helmets so cant be identified. They dont care if they are being filmed.
Yes. How about better trackers / multiple hidden ones with their own power supplies . Not just cameras...
Or being caught in the act... As alerts sent as soon as the bike moves... Not jusr GPS but movement sensors. Etc
So police can attend the scene quickly...
I just think it's worth investigating.
Especially in London where thefts are almost epidemic proportions.

Yes. How about better trackers / multiple hidden ones with their own power supplies . Not just cameras...
Or being caught in the act... As alerts sent as soon as the bike moves... Not jusr GPS but movement sensors. Etc
So police can attend the scene quickly...
I just think it's worth investigating.
Especially in London where thefts are almost epidemic proportions.

This works on the assumption that the police give a flying fcuk about motorcycle theft, there's the occasionally one who does (normally a biker themselves) corporately not a chance.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I was visiting just outside Swansea two weeks ago at the BMW Off Road School. Simon Pavey's Crew ensure good stuff now comes out of Wales.

I learned a lot.

Funnily enough I'm off to see how many times I can fall off an Africa Twin at the Honda School in South Wales this week

As to Scooter miscreants there is a dire need for something to be done in the capital before some more dangerous ner do wells catch on to the ease with which they can be used.

As well as the GS, I also ride a Triumph Street Triple, and subscribe to the Street Triple forum.
Needless to say, someone had his pride and joy nicked.
Was it locked? To quote the OP: "Bike was parked in secure carpark with 24 hrs camera and security.. Disclock picked and bike started up within 2 mins even though i had immobilizer."
However, he did something about it, unlike the useless rozzers.
You can read the whole thread here, or just the retribution post.
I take my hat off to him :clap.

Funnily enough I'm off to see how many times I can fall off an Africa Twin at the Honda School in South Wales this week

Be prepared to fall off lots. I did my best but two static full lock stalls got me (Physical Fatigue), and one hill decent tight left turn threw me into a ditch. haha. But in the two days I was on that bike I fell off the least in my group. But you will fall off lol, everyone did except the instructors.

You will love it.

From the Triumph thread...

"Bike was parked in secure carpark with 24 hrs camera and security.. Disclock picked and bike started up within 2 mins even though i had immobilizer."

I understand an angle grinder/snapping a steering lock, but picking a disc lock and defeating an immobiliser in a secure car park within 2 minutes - wtf tools have these people (described as kids in the thread) got in their arsenal? :eek:

wtf tools have these people (described as kids in the thread) got in their arsenal? :eek:

YouTube and a Smartphone with internet access.

Its all you need.

Its all you need.

Don't forget sanctimonious wankers creating and sharing the video's on how to do X under the guise of freedom of expression / the right of owners to know how un secure it is / if we don't highlight it the manufacturer will never fix it.

Its all you need.

I've been standing next to my bike for the last 45 minutes with youtube connection and a smartphone with internet access and feck all has happened yet.

Back
Top Bottom