Free health check warning after service

Apart from the cam chain note that seems a pretty reasonable list of things you already knew, which would give me confidence they’re checking the bike over properly (who on here used to mark the spark plugs up before a service to make sure they’d been taken out and checked) Imagine the alternative, you ride off in blissful ignorance and 2000 miles later something fails. And it’s easy enough to take a look at the cam chain rivets yourself to verify - though I would have expected them to do a video or photos for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More to the point, why should these bearings be failing causing a cam chain to potentially break which in turn could lock up the engine and cause an accident or even death.

BMW should fix what is obviously a manufacturing fault or poor design, free of charge as a matter of urgency.

Apart from the cam chain note that seems a pretty reasonable list of things you already knew, which would give me confidence they’re checking the bike over properly (who on here used to mark the spark plugs up before a service to make sure they’d been taken out and checked) Imagine the alternative, you ride off in blissful ignorance and 2000 miles later something fails. And it’s easy enough to take a look at the cam chain rivets yourself to verify - though I would have expected them to do a video or photos for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree having subsequently researched the alleged the 'Red' points. But, my question was should they charge ME after a service for further exploratory work that they already seemed to know? due to their knowledge of previous failings, on that model. And to advise me not to ride it until the issue had been checked at my expense? Cant have it both ways surely. or as I have already insinuated is it scamming by fear tactics?

More to the point, why should these bearings be failing causing a cam chain to potentially break which in turn could lock up the engine and cause an accident or even death.

BMW should fix what is obviously a manufacturing fault or poor design, free of charge as a matter of urgency.

I agree, purchased the bike for just over £9k, 6 months and 6k mileage later at 4th year service and only 24k on the bike!

Hi

I found my low mileage F800GS to be very costly to keep putting things right that should have never gone wrong. In the end I got rid of it and bought a Triumph so far so good. It certainly is both smother and quicker.

Derek

Thanks for that mate very informative, I feel your pain I had a similar encounter with an Indesit washing machine, so much happier with my Hotpoint!

If the bike isn’t covered by a bmw warranty, then get servicing done by a good independent......a bmw stamp in the book is worth nothing unless it is “required” for warranty.
My experience of Bmw service is that has been superb, but fortunately the 2012 bike I bought came with a warranty and the warranty work required(engine gearbox seals, clutch disc, clutch switch and exhaust flappy valve) was carried out FOC in around 48 hours. Mind you I would have been so pleased if I was paying for the work, I would then have been looking at the supplying dealer for redress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That cam chain wear is not unheard of.
Could be terminal for the engine.
Hopefully not for the rider...

Back
Top Bottom