no responce from left TB and now !

ross.

Reaction score
:blast so spent some time today and after a good clean out have managed to get the TB'S synced and all seemed ok then it felt like 10 steps backwards, just happened to peek at the oil sight glass and it looked like the engine was full to the brim with oil but i know that it was only half way in the glass after the oil and filter change had a sniff down the filler plug hole and oh no smells very petrol fumey so how the hell do we get fuel in there, had this problem before on carbed bike with sticky float valves but none of that here so what the hell. will this old gs ever make it back onto the road

Why don't you ask Mikeyboy to look at it.

He'll sort it out for you. Depending on where you are in Lincs, he's not that far away from you, just north of Melton.

Why don't you ask Mikeyboy to look at it.

He'll sort it out for you. Depending on where you are in Lincs, he's not that far away from you, just north of Melton.

i spoke to mikeyboy on friday he pointed me in the right direction and i thought i had sorted it well i guess i have sorted the tb's but the petrol in oil is something new or at least i have only just noticed it so frustrating as i have spent hours dragging this thing back to life, nearly at the give it a good clean and take it out for a run stage but alas no something else now to mess with my brain

I've seen petrol in the engine with fuel injected cars, happened to a friend when one of his injectors stuck open. No idea how likely this is with the ol' GS though. Could be a stuck injector or maybe fuel reg?

Are you sure you have fuel in the oil?
The level can be erratic on these bikes
Was it hot or warm when you noticed the level had risen?
Maybe the oil cooler had drained overnight.?
If the oil is diluted with fuel it will be really thin in consistency,
Drain a bit out or whip a valve cover off to take a better look at a sample

....just happened to peek at the oil sight glass and it looked like the engine was full to the brim with oil....
When you say ‘full to the brim’ how far over (to the right) do you have to lean the bike before you start to see it drop in the sight glass?

You have been running the motor a lot at idle,cold starts etc,
the oil will smell of unburnt fuel,
I think there will be many opinions on how the level should be checked,
Run motor,till it’s warm
on to main stand on level ground for 5 mins ,check level.
If it’s over full,drain a bit,
But always check using the same method

Are you sure you have fuel in the oil?
The level can be erratic on these bikes
Was it hot or warm when you noticed the level had risen?
Maybe the oil cooler had drained overnight.?
If the oil is diluted with fuel it will be really thin in consistency,
Drain a bit out or whip a valve cover off to take a better look at a sample

hi mike the level was half way in the glass before i started the bike and synced the tb's are you saying that the level rises when the the oil is hot might sound like a stupid question but i have assumed possibly wrongly that when engine is running and all is flowing all through engine that the glass would appear to have less in when you switch off but mine was right at the top

The oil will expand as it heats,
A car engine will more than likely be checked cold.
Not so on a GS,
A visual cold check to confirm there is oil in the sight glass,level check when warm.
I always check mine when I return from a ride,as described above

Not so on a GS,
A visual cold check to confirm there is oil in the sight glass,level check when warm.

well thats good news then just me not understanding what i was seeing i did have the engine running for a bit with some fans blowing cold air at the cylinders so i guess even with fans the oil must have got hot

Not so on a GS,

checked the glass this morning bloody cold in the garage so things had cooled and the oil is about half glass, so pretty much where it was prior to tb sync.
i cant believe just how much the oil expanded it must be very easy to overfill these and end up sending oil into the airbox

Mine is barely on the bottom when cold on the main stand, but bang on in the middle hot which I think is where it should be. There's only about 0.5l between the bottom and top so it's easy to overfill it if you're being hasty. I figure as long as I see something around the bottom, it should work out about the right level when at temp.

Mine is barely on the bottom when cold on the main stand, but bang on in the middle hot which I think is where it should be. There's only about 0.5l between the bottom and top so it's easy to overfill it if you're being hasty. I figure as long as I see something around the bottom, it should work out about the right level when at temp.

yes i will be keeping an eye on it for a while i may consider taking a little out

yes i will be keeping an eye on it for a while i may consider taking a little out

If it's still below the top of the sight glass, I'd just check the airbox drain on the rear for oil and let it sort itself out really but I'm sure more experienced folk will chime in.

I find it hard to believe oil expands to this degree. I have had weird readings occasionally when the oil probably hasn’t drained into the sump for some reason, but I never would have put it down to expansion of the oil.

Stop panicking and leave it. If you fill the engine with exact amount specified by Bmw the oil just covers the sight glass.

For the past 80,000+ miles I have always filled mine so that it is just over 3/4’ish the way up the sight glass when cold.... don’t get stressed or develop OCD over the oil level

These motors are like agricultural tractors and, as Steptoe says, as long as you can see oil in the window they will be fine :thumb2

For the past 80,000+ miles I have always filled mine so that it is just over 3/4’ish the way up the sight glass when cold.... don’t get stressed or develop OCD over the oil level

These motors are like agricultural tractors and, as Steptoe says, as long as you can see oil in the window they will be fine :thumb2

well iam going to change the oil shortly and i will fill using bmw spec as previously mentioned and will not panic anymore, well until the next issue and i need a little help from you guys:D

well iam going to change the oil shortly and i will fill using bmw spec as previously mentioned and will not panic anymore, well until the next issue and i need a little help from you guys:D
I recon you’ve had your £12 worth:D
Time for a subscription :augie
Then you can spend a fortune on bling in fs&w

I recon you’ve had your £12 worth:D
Time for a subscription :augie
Then you can spend a fortune on bling in fs&w

bling:D i was thinking of spending a couple of quid on a can of satin black to paint the handlebars they look dog rough;) is that too blingy

Back
Top Bottom