Camera mounting suggestions

ibgarrow

Reaction score
Got one of those action cams from Aldi today. What do people use to mount them on GSs? The bar clip would fit the handlebars, but the view ahead is obscured. Unfortunately, the sat nav bar is too thin, although it would be good there being behind the screen etc.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 660
A bracket that fits on the front indicator mount works well

I have a go pro mount stuck on rear side of the satnav cradle. This places it dead centre and behind the screen. It’s absolutely spot-on.

Aha! Good idea. Will try that, thanks.

Good Idea. I have the indicator one with drift powered into aux socket. Any chance of a pic as would like to try that with drift as there is a bit of blind spot on indicator mount
Thanks
Mike

80b7174c7c28f247167a128e4334a60e.jpg
f3c85d3ccb91023cea7f0c70e09aff99.jpg
6f4aa460c8f5cf0db9d416a6604a17b2.jpg

Here’s a couple of pics that show my mods and the mount.

You won't get good images through the screen; they'll be distorted. It should be situated in front of, or away from the screen. There is the danger a big fat wasp will fly right into the lens but as you will see, the images from behind the screen (especially if you use wide angle, and some cannot reduce the angle) will be shite. The insect problem will be most bother at the height of summer and in Scotland in midge season.

If you need to disperse water then just use something like Rain X on the lens. I wouldn't recommend it on a GoPro, but an Aldi special......

You won't get good images through the screen; they'll be distorted. It should be situated in front of, or away from the screen. There is the danger a big fat wasp will fly right into the lens but as you will see, the images from behind the screen (especially if you use wide angle, and some cannot reduce the angle) will be shite. The insect problem will be most bother at the height of summer and in Scotland in midge season.

If you need to disperse water then just use something like Rain X on the lens. I wouldn't recommend it on a GoPro, but an Aldi special......

I can only speak from my experience of having the camera mounted behind the screen. As I am not Steven Spielberg and I am only after recording footage in case of 'incidents' or my own consumption then the quality is absolutely fine. Keeping the screen clean or keeping the lens clean is the same and the target area for said bug splats is almost identical. I have used Rain-X on the lens of the camera as well as on the screen, there is a specific formulation of Rain-X for composites.

I can only speak from my experience of having the camera mounted behind the screen. As I am not Steven Spielberg and I am only after recording footage in case of 'incidents' or my own consumption then the quality is absolutely fine. Keeping the screen clean or keeping the lens clean is the same and the target area for said bug splats is almost identical. I have used Rain-X on the lens of the camera as well as on the screen, there is a specific formulation of Rain-X for composites.

That is fine; each to their own. However, I was parting from the premise that GoPro cameras and their ilk are action cameras largely wasted (even in Aldi spec but ESPECIALLY so in real spec) as dashcams for the purposes of incident recording. In the case of the real deal you are placing a soon to be opaque and inferior transparent surface with a great deal of distortion in front of a highly polished and near perfect lens thus rendering it, effectively, as if it had been made of shitty perspex, akin, perhaps, to plasticising a diamond to protect it.

Even in Aldi spec, it's still not a great buy for that because as you will soon discover, they aren't very reliable and that all important footage that you think you will have, won't be there. GoPro's are designed to be robust and shockproof and to take a hell of a beating; Aldi specials are cheap cameras inside a GoPro housing.

Ask me how I know.

In any case, as I say, there are much better solutions for what you want. MIO and Nexbase offer much better options at a reasonable enough price.

Lastly, have you actually looked at the footage you have recorded much? Can you actually see anything of any value in the right of the screen when you play it back? I notice you have it on the left of your bike. Not all incidents are head on or from the left.

Just my tuppence worth. I think you should do whatever you think is best. I just wanted to point out to others who might be thinking of doing the same thing that there are other solutions if what they really want is to use an action camera for what it is designed for. And that if they want a dashcam, a GoPro behind a perspex screen is a bit of a waste.

Lastly, an Aldi special is probably more suited as a helmet cam because the vibrations (which are what ultimately separates the wheat from the chafe) are what ultimately kills them and makes them malfunction, You don't get any (vibration) on a helmet but you are then limited by it's battery. Even a GoPro has it's limits so it might suffer premature failure if you stick it onto a S1000XR handlebar, for instance.

I have a bracket attached to the right indicator.

I mount one of my Drift Stealths and hard wire it to the auxiliary USB socket near the dash
(a friend 3D printed an alternative back piece that allows access to the USB power input :bow).

I can then use the DVR mode to continuously 'loop' record whilst out on a ride as if it was a dash cam.

Alternatively I can do the same on normal recording for any vlog footage I want to keep from that angle and just use a 64gb card for all day recording.

Personally I find GoPro's too fiddly and complicated for dashcam usage (quite apart from a waste of a great camera for such purposes). I have brackets all over my bike for them. I DO like to take footage (rushes) and edit them and put them to music (sometimes) and then send them to my friends (only have one published on uTube for ilustrative purposes. It's not great but it was only my second attempt). It's a bit of a hobby, really. The great thing about Gopros, though, is that you can fit them anywhere and take shots of unusual angles and I really like them for that. I'll never make a Top Gear cameraman but who cares?

I have (Ok, will have soon) a permanent onboard system which is a fit and forget (which is never the case with GoPro) which gives excellent quality and also doubles up as a dashcam but it's a ballache to fit properly. I'm a bit OCD with that sort of thing, it has to be hard wired; no plugging it in and using the aux power socket. It took me a month (I know, I've said all this elsewhere, I'm not suffering Alzheimers) to fit to my old bike but it was on for 2 years and I never had to touch it other than re-format the card every so often.

I know, it's a ballache to sift through hours of video but you get a feel for what is going to be valuable and what is not quite quickly and although it still takes time, you can organise it into clips with interesting rushes which you can then edit into a video. Long motorway or city footage can easily be eliminated in large tranches and if soon enough after the event, you can usually remember where the good bits are. It does take practice, though. Also, I have the advantage that I have a fair amount of "dead time" in hotel rooms with nothing better to do. It keeps me out of trouble.

I have a bracket attached to the right indicator.

I mount one of my Drift Stealths and hard wire it to the auxiliary USB socket near the dash
(a friend 3D printed an alternative back piece that allows access to the USB power input :bow).

I can then use the DVR mode to continuously 'loop' record whilst out on a ride as if it was a dash cam.

Alternatively I can do the same on normal recording for any vlog footage I want to keep from that angle and just use a 64gb card for all day recording.

Do you find it vibrates? I'm not 100% happy with mine

These work well, no vibrations or wavy images that i've seen in the past.

Attachments

• 94818.jpg
    94818.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 317

Back
Top Bottom