Aluminium panniers

There is an aftermarket pannier manufacturer that does a set to specifically fit the BMW pannier rails. You don't have to buy the BMW branded set. Bugger if I can remember who.

The panniers are described as water repellent, what a crock of shit. A grands worth of equipment that potentially can flood the contents.
Even if you did have the BMW liners that are claimed to be waterproof I doubt they would be if you sat them in water inch deep. We should not have to drill holes in them to overcome bad design so the question should be are they really fit for purpose if the contents could possibly be ruined.

Get a set of Bumots ! Much better quality and cheaper than that re-branded BMW shite.
Agree but the BMW panniers have one advantage over the Bumots, at least for me. You can store a System helmet in the nearside pannier and that was what clinched the decision for me. Had I known before making that decision that the BMW panniers were as waterproof as a colander, I probably would have gone for the Bumots or fitted the Holans from my previous GSA

Unlike the old hexhead cases which had the locks/latches securely riveted in place, the LC versions make do with a few self tapping screws screwed into the plastic surround of the latches. Probably not the best idea for security but might be an advantage if you want to re-position the latches slightly to give a better clamping force. Just a thought.

Actually that was my idea too. If I elongate the holes a bit, I could drop the latch a couple of mm and get more downward pressure on the pannier lid but I guess the latch would work upwards again over time

The panniers are described as water repellent, what a crock of shit. A grands worth of equipment that potentially can flood the contents.
Even if you did have the BMW liners that are claimed to be waterproof I doubt they would be if you sat them in water inch deep. We should not have to drill holes in them to overcome bad design so the question should be are they really fit for purpose if the contents could possibly be ruined.

Before I bought mine I was told the panniers were not guaranteed to be WP and I bought the OEM liners. My panniers and top case have never leaked, 90% of the time I use them without the OEM liners but some old worn out bags from another luggage set, which would leak if water got in.

The OEM liners are extremely good and I would think so WP you could use them without the panniers. They have a closure system like a Lomo bag.

Mine leak. One of them took a knock so I can’t really lay the blame with the OEM. One of them hasn’t had a knock......a day of pishing rain in France to get to a campsite only to find everything I owned was soaked. ☹️
I haven’t took them back although on reflection maybe I should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when I picked up a new bike and I was running it in with a run from Holyhead down the coast of wales and the south coast to the Chunnel.
It started pissing rain after the first hour and didn’t stop. At the first hotel as I didn’t have inner bags I had to carry in the two boxes so I would have dry clothes (I did not plan well). The boxes were obviously manky on the outside and made nice manky puddles on the bathroom floor. Next morning I bought two black sacks and used those as my inner bags. Every time I checked in somewhere I just had to carry in my super cheap completely water proof “inner bags”. :)
Didn’t matter if one eventually got a hole as I had a roll of ten of them!

4th pair. Never a leak in sight. Take em back

Back
Top Bottom