noisy engine

My 2017 exclusive rattled like a bag of bolts from new I've spoken to Linds twice and another dealer and they both admit it's one of the noisier ones but say BMW would say it's within tollerances . Its now done just over 6,000 and when in for a service next week have agreed to remove rocker covers and check but I aren't hopefull.
I was talking to a Yorkshire guy while up at Dent last weekend he said Rainbows I believe were going to replace the cam gears as there are supposedly variants that have to be matched up to suit clearences .How true this is I don't know but I'll mention it to Linds .It sounds too metalic to be a tappet .However every one says it won't let me down well I'll test it next month on my Krakow trip lol

Baffled at the remark about gearshift not being smooth on later bikes. Unless my 2017 is faulty, the gearbox is superb. Changes smooth.

Engine noise, 17 may be a bit quieter than the 14. But they are not quiet bikes. Earplugs in and visor down IMO. Noise does indeed seem to be funnelled through from behind the instruments from below.

Baffled at the remark about gearshift not being smooth on later bikes. Unless my 2017 is faulty, the gearbox is superb. Changes smooth.

Engine noise, 17 may be a bit quieter than the 14. But they are not quiet bikes. Earplugs in and visor down IMO. Noise does indeed seem to be funnelled through from behind the instruments from below.

Tried an 18 GSA demo bike, 2 weeks ago
Crunched into 1st at standstill
Lurched forward every time 1st was engaged
False neutrals in 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, plus some crunching
GS AP worked ok - but only there to mask a poor gearbox

R9T Urban GS gearbox was buttery smooth and near perfect in comparison

WC gearboxes still poor to my mind

Tried an 18 GSA demo bike, 2 weeks ago
Crunched into 1st at standstill
Lurched forward every time 1st was engaged
False neutrals in 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, plus some crunching
GS AP worked ok - but only there to mask a poor gearbox

WC gearboxes still poor to my mind

Rider error :rob:D

Is that why you choose KTM

I really did think the latest WC I tried was no improvement from the 2013 bikes

However others disagree & get on fine with their bikes

Maybe! :JB

I didn’t notice any major differences between my 2013, 2014 and 2017 bikes. Maybe the Rallye was slightly smoother, but I could have just been telling myself that, after spending so much on it!:augie

It’ll be interesting to see what the next GS is like, and if BMW address any of the issues discussed on here, but it depends how much involvement the accountants have.

surely all "wet clutch' bikes will crunch into first at standstill no?

on the original topic - my 2016 GSA is a noisy bugger - very mechanical sounding - i just try an ignore it to be honest.

Starting it up after its been on the side-stand for a while - with the resulting clatter from the o/s cylinder head until the oil reaches it scares the crap out of me though!

surely all "wet clutch' bikes will crunch into first at standstill no?
!

No not really

My Honda's are snickety snick

The Honda AT and KTM 1090 I recently rode with wet clutches had no issues - their gearboxes were sublime

Must just be BMW then ....

surely all "wet clutch' bikes will crunch into first at standstill no?...........

They do - the early LCs really did clonk into 1st most of the time with clearly too much clutch drag - my 2018 gearbox clonks into first just like most wet clutch bikes (especially sports bikes) but only when hot, when cold there is no sound whatsoever. There are no false neutrals and it changes up and down without drama.

They do - the early LCs really did clonk into 1st most of the time with clearly too much clutch drag - my 2018 gearbox clonks into first just like most wet clutch bikes (especially sports bikes) but only when hot, when cold there is no sound whatsoever. There are no false neutrals and it changes up and down without drama.

I do hope so as I pick up a new one this week to replace my 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do hope so as I pick up a new one this week to replace my 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lasted LC gearboxes are definitely smoother than the earlier ones, although they do clonk into first when hot But that’s completely normal on any wet clutch.
You won’t be disappointed, enjoy your new bike.

Well they have it

Just dropped by bike at Chester Motorrad... lots of mmmmmmm from technican... lots of that’s not right, as bike sat there rattling .... and lots of how much smoke and oil coming out the exhaust !! ( back of number plate is black and wife said it smoking on accelerating as she followed in car) ... o well it’s under warranty :thumb2

My first BMW is this one 2018 Rallye TE best bike I have had, nice a quite and the gearbox is fantastic, just my 2 pence worth

For what it’s worth, the gearboxes on my 2013, 2014, & 2015 GS-LC’s were better than on my 2016 & 2018 bikes.

However it’s still the best all-rounder bike available on the planet at the moment IMHO.

It’s rattling again

So after it being in at Chester Motorrad, they adjusted the valve clearances and they said that they couldn’t find any wear on cams...and when I rode away it felt and sounded better... did 50 miles and thought ok this is acceptable... but now 200 miles on and it’s rattling again and soot on the new number plate... so it’s booked back in again for technician to do another check and do an extended test ride.
Now the interesting bit .... they asked has it been remapped.... no no I said :rolleyes:
They have also suggested if I’m still not happy to get a second opinion from another dealer..... but if they don’t find anything ... I might be charged for workshop time..

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
Do you wear earplugs?
Yes I do but I can hear the rattle even with them.
The noise is very central to bike... if you lean into the bmw badge on handle bars, you can really hear it.[/QUOTE]

So after it being in at Chester Motorrad, they adjusted the valve clearances and they said that they couldn’t find any wear on cams...and when I rode away it felt and sounded better... did 50 miles and thought ok this is acceptable... but now 200 miles on and it’s rattling again and soot on the new number plate... so it’s booked back in again for technician to do another check and do an extended test ride.
Now the interesting bit .... they asked has it been remapped.... no no I said :rolleyes:
They have also suggested if I’m still not happy to get a second opinion from another dealer..... but if they don’t find anything ... I might be charged for workshop time..

My 2017 Rallye is lots more noisy than my 2014 bike from the central area, I’ve still no idea what it is...

I have no soot or anything else on my rear number plate after 8500 miles now. It’s clean as a whistle, I’m getting average 55mpg & that includes a hard ride up through Germany on the autobahn.

If the lambda sensors are failing but in working range they won’t make a fault code, the only way to really test them is substitute one or both or live readings on a rolling road, something the dealers won’t/can’t test.

Rattly enough alright. The problem is these big twins have so many noises it is hard to detect a bad noise from the normal.
I am on a RT now and the engine is quieter or better masked.
Try listening to a Multistrada engine.
If you get a chance take an old Blackbird for a spin and realise what an engine should run like.
On my first 05 GS I was at a traffic light and suddenly got this horrible noise coming from the engine. Turned out to be some workmen with jack hammers on a building site.

I’ve ridden RTs and RSs with the same LC engine and they seem much quieter mechanically. I think the shape of the panels or the large echo chamber around the forks makes the noise more obvious. I recall a post from a year or two ago from someone who added sound deadening material to some of the panels to good effect.

Back
Top Bottom