who else goes off road on the old gal

the voices

Reaction score
Had a good six hours out on the lanes of norfolk yesterday to see what it would be like on better tyres, the bike did well dropped it a few times and the wind deflector decided to say goodbye but other than that its more than capable of doing the flat easy norfolk trails had a blast.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 502
I would not say that that is the reason why the GS was initially built for (discounting Paris/Dakar) but, albeit these bikes are ageing and people buy them as ‘Winter hacks’, unless you are fairly athletic and agile, the chances of dropping them and causing expensive damage is one reason why they never see dirt unless it’s a campsite.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Just don't be tempted to hose all that shite off with a jet-spray. Read the little Rider's Booklet - it says never, ever use a jet-spray to clean a boxer.

I rode my 1100 GS around a moto cross track once. That was a laugh. Just once mind.

But get one going on a fire road, or gravel track and they’re properly in their element.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lanes in Norfolk.. off road... don't make me laugh :D

Just a tiny tiny fraction of the off road pictures taken over the years ;)

zt9njq.jpg

1jkzo.jpg

kd6e04.jpg

dm8jv6.jpg

fc1nat.jpg

Just don't be tempted to hose all that shite off with a jet-spray. Read the little Rider's Booklet - it says never, ever use a jet-spray to clean a boxer.

Oh dear I've been using one on my GSs for the last 19 years :eek:

Why not? :nenau

Have a look at the rear of any BMW shop, they all have a jet washing bay in a corner.

I did the old dumpers drove from Salisbury to Shaftsbury years ago, getting stuck in a four by four's tyre rut, was hard work, made worse not being able to avoid overhanging greenery. I didn't make it all the way , luckily found an exit before Shaftsbury.

Bit worrying wondering if the ruts were going to be deep enough to allow the cylinder heads to hit the sides.

I reckon I have more pics of my 1150gs off bitumen than on bitumen
you got to choose your tracks, you wouldnt take a postie bike to race a MotoGP, same as this isn't a 125kg motorcrosser.

Here are a few photos from recent trip, aprrox 6500km over 14 days
20180806_102253-M.jpg

20180806_114812-M.jpg

20180805_084439-M.jpg

20180812_094858-M.jpg

Steptoe Thats why i put easy norfolk trails, your first and last pic aint far off what it is like in the winter when the 4x4 start trying to get stuck, think you need to come out with us in the winter, i will even put you up so lets book a day, and trust me you will have a laugh to the point were it hurts, go on its easy.

High-pressure jet spray water can penetrate the rubber sealing on the final drive and rot the driveshaft. It can also rinse out the grease from bearings in the front and back wheels and axle-pins. Apart from affecting low- and high-current circuitry. The fastest way to see-off your binnacle's digital / analogue display is to let a jet-spray gush of water hit it at close quarters for more than a second or two.

BMW says unequivocally don't do it. They've been proved wrong in the past on many aspects of their recommendations and advice. But this one makes sense.

Many patrol-bike riders do it when they think the authority's steed is too filthy to take back to the depôt after a shift. But the Fleet Manager has to pick up the repair tab when the machine's FD goes south. 14 new drirveshafts needed in less than a twelve-month at one particular cop-shop pound. All due to jet-spraying.

High-pressure jet spray water can penetrate the rubber sealing on the final drive and rot the driveshaft. It can also rinse out the grease from bearings in the front and back wheels and axle-pins. Apart from affecting low- and high-current circuitry. The fastest way to see-off your binnacle's digital / analogue display is to let a jet-spray gush of water hit it at close quarters for more than a second or two.

BMW says unequivocally don't do it. They've been proved wrong in the past on many aspects of their recommendations and advice. But this one makes sense.

Many patrol-bike riders do it when they think the authority's steed is too filthy to take back to the depôt after a shift. But the Fleet Manager has to pick up the repair tab when the machine's FD goes south. 14 new drirveshafts needed in less than a twelve-month at one particular cop-shop pound. All due to jet-spraying.

Oh
Get a grip fella

Cut through the Ardenne forest a few years back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 308

On the other hand 19 years and never any problem using a jet wash with some common sense.

Sculthorpe mill near fakenham.

Attachments

• WP_20180930_21_09_49_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20180930_21_09_49_Pro (2).jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 263

Back
Top Bottom