1999 K1200RS

Buckingham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just picked up this K1200RS from Wales at the weekend. AFAIK the 18,000 miles on the clock is genuine; the story goes that the first owner bought it from Park Lane, rode it very occasionally for 9 years then left it in his garage with no MOT, eventually selling in 2018 with 15,000 miles. Then 3,000 miles between 2018 and 2024, it seems correct looking at the MOT history.

Pretty clean bike, came with new tyres and YSS shocks. I've already fitted the "comfort" bar mounts which I've had in my garage for years. Just giving it a detailed check over during the next couple of weeks.

Looks like it's had a mod to the wiring loom for the starter relay at some time, with a new heavy red wire from the battery to the relay. I've seen reference to this as a dealer mod due to issues with the starter relay & contacts welding. Anyone come across this ? I know the later ones had a different starter relay (blue casing) ?

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpeg
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2048.jpeg
    IMG_2048.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2047.jpeg
    IMG_2047.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 40
Yeah I still have the instructions for the mod in my file in the garage I think

A T reg "might" be a Press bike I know the 3 over here that I worked on T924 PBL that the muppet reregistered as he didn't like English registrations

I said why didn't you put it on a retention you fuckling Muppet! a 924 reg should have sold

Got free double-deal (all or nothing!) - a rear backrest for your pillion's comfort here, and a front fender extender - free if you pay the postage. PM me.

53150307206_11e1e91114_c_d.jpg

28446690604_f085109e37_c_d.jpg

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I have one exactly the same year.
Can you tell me what those mirrors are off as they aren’t the Micky Mouse type ones I have on mine.

Hi Ged
Those mirrors were apparently Ducati ones, they were on the bike when I bought it - absolute crap.
Luckily it came with the original mirrors which I refitted.
They are good although might be even better with some extenders fitted.
If you really want them, you can have them for the cost of post (though I won't be able to send for about 3 weeks).
John

Hi Ged
Those mirrors were apparently Ducati ones, they were on the bike when I bought it - absolute crap.
Luckily it came with the original mirrors which I refitted.
They are good although might be even better with some extenders fitted.
If you really want them, you can have them for the cost of post (though I won't be able to send for about 3 weeks).
John
Thanks for the offer John but I’ll leave it thanks.
Think if I remember rightly the later ones are square and I fitted a set to my 1150 GS. A massive improvement over the round ones.

Thanks for the offer John but I’ll leave it thanks.
Think if I remember rightly the later ones are square and I fitted a set to my 1150 GS. A massive improvement over the round ones.
I think you're right on that Ged, I've been looking out for some of the 2001-onwards rectangular mirrors.

Another quick question John, where did you get the comfort bar mounts from ?
Did they make a difference for you
They were on the bike when I bought it - worth noting though, these bikes came with two different types of bar mounting brackets. The early ones were very low, later there was a similar but higher version. You have to look hard to spot the the difference between the two but the later ones are worth getting.

Playing with the riding position on my K1200RS - managed to pick up a top yoke from the police version which has conventional bars and fitted this with K100RS handlebars - not sure whether this was the right move yet !
Worth noting, top yoke removal requires removal of the big nut holding the ball joint too the headstock and this is a right nightmare to remove; it has threadlock. Managed to remove it by getting a torch on the nut to release the threadlock. Took me about 3 hours work just getting the nut off. You need to counter-hold the ball joint with T45 torx bit to stop it turning, together with a 21mm deep socket with cut-out for the torx bit.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpeg
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2314.jpeg
    IMG_2314.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom