R65LS Ignition switch wiring

Paradiso

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been fixing up a R65LS. I've just put a battery back on to test the electrics and the ignition is permanently on. The rev counter instrument lights are illuminated and the starter motor can be activated. Apart from not switching off, the switch performs as it should; parking light, light off, pilot on, then headlight on. I've tried a different starter relay and checked the wiring diagram. I had not removed the wiring to the ignition switch. It would appear that I'm missing a yellow/white wire that should connect to the ignition switch
There's also some strangeness with the light relay. A copper wire links 2 terminals. Without this, the headlight doesn't come on. I've tried another relay there too and it also didn't work without the wire bridging connection.
As far as I recall, you could switch it off when I got it, but it was in such a state that I didn't use it and took it apart straight away. It was registered in Germany and later imported to the UK, though I'm not sure if this means it is different from a UK model. It's also got a Boyer Bransden ignition. Is there anything obvious I might check? I did take photos and was careful about putting connectors back where they came from.
44819ed892f72b570e875b237ef66095.jpg
5aa5a14b50d1f92db2c2283bf5a04c32.jpg
8bf65aba8c58161f3060e109477aab37.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Yes it does a bit. Unfortunately, the headlight doesn't work without it. Might not be the proper relay. Will check. I think I've worked out the ignition issue. I think the green/black wire is for extra clock and voltmeter. Removed it, and it switches off.

1. Looking at the Haynes manual you should not have green/black to the sign switch.

2. The yellow wire should link onto the green/purple.

3. Give us the chassis number and we can check if it's a US model originally.

4. You haven't given us what cables were fitted where on the light relay.

Attachments

• IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7297.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7296.JPG
    IMG_7296.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi.
Yes, the green/black shouldnt have been on the ignition switch. The switch seems to work fine now and switches off, though there isn't a yellow/white wire to the switch as the wiring diagram suggests there should be.
The chassis/vin no. is 6353303, which suggests 05/82 date and non US version. (from BM bikes website).
The red (live battery) wire was disconnected from the light relay when I got it. I thought it had slipped out of the holder, but I think it was deliberately disconnected as the relay heats up when it is connected. Lights work without, which is probably because of the bridging wire.
e8eb0692f6e63dec4c008e4c69e86553.jpg
37c56136f35d5bf0018b28ae7e57bfb3.jpg

There you have it! Hope you found a home for the green/black. Most relays heat up when energised; they are designed to do it.

There's still some funny business going on. Even with the ignition switch off, with the red wire connected to the light relay, it was very hot. That shouldn't be so, and it'll be a battery drain. With the bridging wire off and the red wire connected, the headlight doesn't work. I'll fathom it out.
At present, it works with the copper bridging wire on and the red wire ( from the battery and permanently live) off. The green/ black is for the optional clock and voltmeter.
Cheers

err. Don't let the red wire get hot, you might end up needing a fire extinguisher...:eek:

Ever thought your light relay is Fubared? :unsure:

Also, according to Mr Haynes, your light relay is connected up wrongly. Should be: Yellow/white 87 (correct); Green/violet 86 (yours on 85); Red 30 (yours on 86); Black 85 (yours on 30). A lot of fuckery going on there!

With 85 and 87 connected together it effectively connects the red wire (wrongly on 86) straight to the the yellow/white wire. The relay serves no purpose other than being a connector block. Easy to correct though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom