2006 K1200r idle control

kevmean

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How does this item on the throttle body actually work and what is it's purpose and how can you test it's operation ?

Attachments

• K1200 R idle control.jpeg
    K1200 R idle control.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 15
How does this item on the throttle body actually work and what is it's purpose and how can you test it's operation ?
It bleeds in air to burn the fuel volume

When cold and the fuel mixture is enriched it opens wider to Burn the extra fuel and keep the idle high

When up to working temp it opens and closes in sync with fuel mixture adaptions to achieve the target 1050 + or - 50 rpm idle speed

Conical end and conical seat are very precise Its a stepper motor so the GS911 will show activation levels at X steps

But you wont really see the diference

If you are having Idle problems ?? Or stalling

Number one check for air leaks

Number two Splurge on a new Stepper motor set up

I had to replace mine on K1300gt, as idle was all over the place.

It bleeds in air to burn the fuel volume

When cold and the fuel mixture is enriched it opens wider to Burn the extra fuel and keep the idle high

When up to working temp it opens and closes in sync with fuel mixture adaptions to achieve the target 1050 + or - 50 rpm idle speed

Conical end and conical seat are very precise Its a stepper motor so the GS911 will show activation levels at X steps

But you wont really see the diference

If you are having Idle problems ?? Or stalling

Number one check for air leaks

Number two Splurge on a new Stepper motor set up
This isn't the one that's fitted into the airbox , this fits on the side of the throttle body assembly about half way along , it's just mounted to a bracket but there is a large gap between the end of the plunger and the throttle mechanism , the mechanism has a small white plastic disc attached to it which lines up with this but doesn't touch it whatever the throttle position.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

13547707608 part 4??

Described as Servomotor throttle stop K40 K43 K44

I suspect yours may be stuck

Do you have a fault with the bike That made you investigate

1707384596983.png

Idle control servo motor/ also called a stepper motor.
It is controlled by the ecu and is used to vary the idle speed.
It can accurately vary the position of the throttle butterflies to provide cold start fast idle and prevent stalling when there is high electrical load etc.
It will, when working correctly,ensure correct idle speed when other variables come into play such as altitude,temp etc.
It’s basically a reversible motor,connected to a very fine screw thread with a plunger on it.
In one direction the plunger will push out,reversed it will retract.
From time to time it will need to be reinitialised using a diagnostic tool.
There may well be a method to initialise it without diag kit such as opening and closing the throttle with the ign on engine not running.
Hope this helps/ makes sense 👍

This is what I understood it was supposed to be for BUT , I can't see how it can control the idle because where it is located if the plunger extends it stops the throttle opening fully , to control idle I would have thought it should be basically the opposite side of the mechanism so that it opens the throttle slightly when the throttle is in the closed position.

This is what I understood it was supposed to be for BUT , I can't see how it can control the idle because where it is located if the plunger extends it stops the throttle opening fully , to control idle I would have thought it should be basically the opposite side of the mechanism so that it opens the throttle slightly when the throttle is in the closed position.
Ha,you’ve got me there,😃
I’ve never looked at one in anger so to speak.
If it is,as you say,perhaps it’s there to prevent full throttle in the lower gears??
IIRC bandit 1200’s used to have a similar system that operated in 1st and 2nd but reduced the ignition advance.
The Suzuki system was easily bypassed and turned the bike into a wheelie monster.

Back
Top Bottom