2014 ADV EDC and switch faults, Neutral issue and fixes

scotiasteve

Reaction score
So I bought a 1200GS ADV, great bike.

EDC failed on one occasion, no log in the bike, hasn't happened again.

Second fault, starter issue. Filmed this on Google Glass so the dealer could see.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/wDsdz1355ys?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/wDsdz1355ys?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Also had a neutral issue (can't find from 1st once every few times).

Fixes:

Switch may have been the cause of the EDC issue, it's a new fault for BMW according to their German techs, video helped this. Replaced!

Gearbox - seems the oil to run in is a different (thinner) type than the regular oil. Fault seems to be diminishing with use and run in.

Bike is great, totally love it and can't wait to get some normal tyres on it (these TK80's look great but I do mostly on-road and the weave at just above motorway speed is a little disconcerting).

Pick up luggage today, only 2 weeks to get coded locks, result!

BMW Motorrad in Glasgow have plenty of sets FYI.

I had this exact same issue on my new GSA. Replaced switch cluster under warranty at first service.

Having had both the (similar) switch clusters replaced on my K16GT back in 2011 you would have thought BMW would have got their shit together in this respect by now...

Otherwise love the bike.

I had this exact same issue on my new GSA. Replaced switch cluster under warranty at first service.

Having had both the (similar) switch clusters replaced on my K16GT back in 2011 you would have thought BMW would have got their shit together in this respect by now...

Otherwise love the bike.

It is a great bike, just done another 300 miles on it through Glencoe!

Back
Top Bottom