2017 R1200GS Exclusive Throttle Grip sensor fault code.

adamw357

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I am looking for any advice with a fault on my bike:
I started the bike up and rode it out of the garage and switched it off. After about 5 minutes I started it again and the Engine check lamp illuminated and the bike went into limp mode.
I connected my ODBlink and Motoscan (Ultimate) and had the following codes:
3A1461, 3A1462 (both are do with Exhaust flap servo motor which I have now rectified by un-seizing the butterfly valve in the exhaust and cleared that code)
Also present were 3A13D4, 3A13D6, 3A13D9 & 3A13D0 - all throttle grip sensor faults. I took the throttle grip off checked wiring connections etc. and reinstalled it and reset all the values with Motoscan, cleared all the codes and now only have 3A13D6 error - and this is when it gets weird - according to BMWfault.codes that is the only one of the 4 codes that were present that doesn't put the bike into limp mode which it is still in and the MIL illuminated? Have I missed anything?
I don't really want to fork out £200 for a new twist grip if it could be something else?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Going to a Motorrad dealer is mostly out of the question as I'm located on the Isle of Lewis which is a 2.5hr ferry crossing and a 60 mile trip to Harry Fairbairns in Inverness)

The fault code indicates that the ECU is not happy with the signals that it receives from the Grip module.

It does not advice to where the problem is.
But there are possibly two options:
- The Grip on the handlebar.
- Wireloom, including connectors.

If you have access to a live data readout reader, monitoring the live data may give you a clue. I would expect the GS-911 to offer this option..(and may be MotoScan ?)

If the potmeter is erratic, twisting the Grip, the voltage reading will probably jump about in the values, while a broken wire or connector is more of the On/Off type, mening the readings will keep jumping to min/max voltage rather than erratic voltages floating between min an max.
The min/max level exceeding the voltage for min/max throttle position is also a good indication of harness/connector issue, as a faulty wiper (as in the Grip) issue is not able to exeed the limits by much. (Keep in mind. The Grip is a potmeter, and a sensor will never be designed in such a manner that the wiper works over the entire range of the potmeter, thus a wiper issue may show values exceeding the Grip hi/lo signal to some degree.

Just as a heads up ...

MY 2016 suffered a failed throttle grip ....

replaced under warranty ......

6 weeks later a CEL and a misfire caused by a failed camshaft sensor

3 weeks later returned

3 days later another CEL !!!

Now saying a fault in fuse section 1 - This covers - Kombi, Camshaft sensors, Lambda sensors & Exhaust flap

The Exhaust flap had seized ... but suddenly was an intermittent fault

Cause unknown as of yet, but they believe it may be a wiring fault, or one of the modules on the bus failing

Still with the dealer :(

Hi, Thanks for the response - I have reset all the adaption values via Motoscan but still the same fault.
Interestingly, I came across this thread today:
https://www.r1200gs.info/threads/2017-r1200gs-tps.46698/
It says that BMW seem to be aware of a problem with the twist grip sensor and the remedy is to reprogram the ECU and change the parameters of the signal it receives from the twist grip so it ignores any erroneous date from the sensor.
Another interesting titbit is that the BMW workshop manual CD ROM I bought has a specific section on how repair the last 12" or so of wiring loom that connects to the twistgrip sensor, not un-remarkable until you see that there are no other specific wiring loom repair sections in the software menu other than this one which leads me to believe there is an known issue here too.
A call to Motorrad on Monday to sound them out I think.

Thank you the reply. Motoscan does have a live feed option, although I don't think the twistgrip has a true mechanical potentiometer, it looks like a Hall effect type affair going on inside the casing. in any case I'll have a go tomorrow.

Hi, Checked out live data of the twistgrip sensor and it is stable, not erratic. It also will only go to 12.21% on full throttle which is the same number as it gets to when reseting the adaption values where it asks you to hold on full throttle. Could this be a function of the fact it's in limp mode? Clearing the fault/trouble code memories doesn't have any effect - they are all still there.

Hi, Checked out live data of the twistgrip sensor and it is stable, not erratic. It also will only go to 12.21% on full throttle which is the same number as it gets to when reseting the adaption values where it asks you to hold on full throttle. Could this be a function of the fact it's in limp mode? Clearing the fault/trouble code memories doesn't have any effect - they are all still there.

Given the fact the faults wont clear suggests the error is part related,

if you disconnect the throttle grip and rescan, what codes show, and can they be cleared then?

I guess you'll get a throttle missing code or similar, but if you can clear the throttle sensor faults then, suggests the throttle grip (may) be the fault.

if you can start the bike what values do you get for lambda (O2 sensors) exhaust flappy valve, camshaft sensors ??

Hi, thanks for the response.

I have codes 3A13D6, 3A13D4 & 3A13D9 with the twist grip connected and it adds to those 3A13D2 and 3A13D7 when disconnected. Only the latter two can be purged from the memory when the twistgrip is plugged back in. Also reset the adaption values numerous times with no effect.

Live data shows:
RPM at 1150
camshaft speed at 584rpm
throttle twistgrip sensor at -4.54%
02 sensor cyl 1 0.95
O2 sensor cyl 2 0.98
exhaust flap 51.81%

Not sure that it is a faulty twistgrip based on this?

Hi, thanks for the response.

I have codes 3A13D6, 3A13D4 & 3A13D9 with the twist grip connected and it adds to those 3A13D2 and 3A13D7 when disconnected. Only the latter two can be purged from the memory when the twistgrip is plugged back in. Also reset the adaption values numerous times with no effect.

Live data shows:
RPM at 1150
camshaft speed at 584rpm
throttle twistgrip sensor at -4.54%
02 sensor cyl 1 0.95
O2 sensor cyl 2 0.98
exhaust flap 51.81%

Not sure that it is a faulty twistgrip based on this?

Are the codes - Proper BMW codes, or the motorscans interpretation and own codes ?

I dont have any experiance of Motorscan, only faults relating to the GS911 units

It comes back to what i said before, if you have faults that cant be cleared, suggests the fault is elsewhere, and still occuring

you need to get some more info on the fault codes

I can see if i can list fault codes in the GS911 that may help point to the areas that are still giving fault

My suspicion is an ECU fault which i believe was a problem for some 2016 units

Some online digging comes up with the following

3A13D6
Fault Impact
Throttle response may be delayed in lower twist range of the throttle twistgrip sensor.

3A13D4
Fault Impact
Emergency operation with limited vehicle dynamics.

Significantly reduced maximum engine speed.
Check wiring, wiring harness and plug connector to the throttle grip sensor 1.
Check wiring harness plug connector to DME
Check of the sensor voltage on the upper and lower limit position.

3A13D9
The DME detects a short circuit to ground.
With a drop below the limit value at the throttle grip sensor channel 2.

I used this
http://bmwfault.codes/

long winded but also gives you checks to carry out

Hi, thanks for this. I did look up the codes on that site and checked as much as I could although a bit tricky checking various voltages without breaking into the loom at this stage.
Had a conversation with a technician at Glasgow Motorrad where I bought the bike and went through the checks I performed and he was 99.9% certain and previous experiences that it is the twistgrip sensor based on the fact that when going through resetting the adaption data the twistgrip will only show 12.21% when held fully open (and -4.85% fully closed).

Hi, thanks for this. I did look up the codes on that site and checked as much as I could although a bit tricky checking various voltages without breaking into the loom at this stage.
Had a conversation with a technician at Glasgow Motorrad where I bought the bike and went through the checks I performed and he was 99.9% certain and previous experiences that it is the twistgrip sensor based on the fact that when going through resetting the adaption data the twistgrip will only show 12.21% when held fully open (and -4.85% fully closed).
Hello Adam, did you ever get this issue resolved, and may I ask how?
On my wife's 750 GS (model year 2019) we've just gotten the exact same failure. At the end of the summer bike season 2023 we put it in our carport, all was good then. Last week she started it and a fault code appeared. I've been using Motoscan and see it's the Throttle Twist Grip error. In resting state it shows -4,54% and in full throttle it shows 12,21% just as yours did. We talked to a BMW dealer nearby and he told it has probably been creeping in some humidity inside that twist grip when it has been stored in our carport during the winter. If so, could this be resolved again by letting it dry out or does it need replacement... we've now put the 750 GS inside our living room since 2 days and hope it will eventually become OK again, fingers crossed.
Greetings from Sweden.

Back
Top Bottom