2018 R1200GS Adventure Rallye TE - oil leak

BikerPete2

Reaction score
Hi

Apologies in advance if this subject has been discussed:

Yesterday afternoon I went to Whiteways at Bury Hill and as I pulled into I the busy car park, I noticed my right boot was covered in oil. As there was a Ducati Roadshow going on I parked my bike at the very top of the car park furthest away from everyone.

First thing I noticed was that the side stand seemed suddenly too long, so I had to get the front wheel onto a bump in the tarmac in order for the bike to be able for the bike to lean to the left.

I got off the bike and the right hand side from the brake pedal backwards was covered in oil, so much so that it was really dripping off. The RH pannier was covered in a faint mist of oil, as was the frame and disturbingly, the RH side of the rear wheel. My boot and RH leg of the leathers were also dripping oil - running off the boot actually. I got down on my knees but couldn’t see any obvious place under the engine or around the cylinder head where it could be coming from. There was no oil on the front tyre nor on the front of the engine.

Does anyone know where the oil could have come from? Is it from the suspension?

My bike has been recovered to Vines at Guildford and I will be getting a report tomorrow. Plus I only got my bike back yesterday morning after being with Vines for 5.5wks being repaired after getting stolen on 23 July.

As it sounds low down on RH side could it possibly be leaking from oil level window?

Certainly sounds like your suspension has dumped its oil, given side stand to long, means suspension is at the bottom.

Agreed, sounds like your rear shock has failed and lost its oil.

Thanks

Certainly sounds like your suspension has dumped its oil, given side stand to long, means suspension is at the bottom.

Thank you for coming back to me, as I hadn’t seen anywhere on the engine where it could be coming from. Thing is though that I have only done 4466 miles and none of it off road. Is the rear shock susceptible to failure at such an early age?

I will be very interested to hear what Vines Bikes say tomorrow.

Grateful for your comment 👍

Hi

Thank you for coming back to me. I checked the engine from the front to the back and there was no indication of any leak - the indicator glass was still in place but no oil was showing.

All the oil was from the RH foot peg towards the back of the bike.

Thanks for coming back to me ��

Agreed, sounds like your rear shock has failed and lost its oil.

Hi

Thanks for coming back to me. Surprising that how the rear shock has failed so early on (bike only done 4466 miles and none off-road), and just thankful I wasn’t heeled over going round a bend when it happened.

Thanks again��

Thank you for coming back to me, as I hadn’t seen anywhere on the engine where it could be coming from. Thing is though that I have only done 4466 miles and none of it off road. Is the rear shock susceptible to failure at such an early age?

I will be very interested to hear what Vines Bikes say tomorrow.

Grateful for your comment ��

Some have failed riding away from the BMW showroom.

I got off the bike and the right hand side from the brake pedal backwards was covered in oil, so much so that it was really dripping off. The RH pannier was covered in a faint mist of oil, as was the frame and disturbingly, the RH side of the rear wheel. My boot and RH leg of the leathers were also dripping oil - running off the boot actually. I got down on my knees but couldn’t see any obvious place under the engine or around the cylinder head where it could be coming from. There was no oil on the front tyre nor on the front of the engine.

Does anyone know where the oil could have come from?

As the oil was on your boots I suspect it is highly unlikely to be from the shock.

However, there is a screw that is just next the starter motor that came loose on my early LC, which resulted in an oil leak. Wasn't bad enough to leak on my boots, but easily could have been if it had been left alone.

Just a quick update. BMW confirmed that the leak was from the cam tensioner and the gasket had failed, causing the leak.

I got the bike back on Tuesday and all seems to be ok now. Am awaiting confirmation from BMW that they will re-pay me my travelling expenses and also for a replacement set of boots.

Grateful for everyone’s comments and suggestions. ��

Back
Top Bottom