411 Himalayan - Relays, iridium exhaust, free air flow filter, EBC sintered pads….. next up, exhaust…. And other bits that have worked

Wapping

Reaction score
In the first 1,000 miles of use, the bike would sometimes refuse to fire up, sometimes from cold and sometimes from warm / hot.

After having the badly snagged spark plug lead sorted out under warranty, I fitted the new air filter, changed all the relays (cheap to do) and exchanged the factory fit spark plug for a decent NGK plug. The changes have worked, in that at least the starting problems have gone. The bike is by no means powerful at 25 bhp but what power it does have has been helped to some degree or another by the less restrictive air filter and a more reliable spark. All easy DIY changes, not hugely expensive and worthwhile.

The existing pads gave a very wooden feel to braking. Yes, the bike would stop but it was ‘Nothing….. nothing….. on’. After a bit of bedding in, the sintered EBC brake pads are much better, in that it has got rid of the ‘Nothing…. nothing….’ bit. Let’s be clear though, these are no six-pot radial brakes, nor do they need to be. Again easy, quite cheap changes and worth it.

I now want to save a bit of weight from the bike *, so I have bought a simple exhaust from Hitchcock, along with the much lighter Lextek silencer. Though lighter still, I didn’t see much point in a carbon fibre end can, as the additional cost did not warrant it.

Anything else? The high level GPS mount (bought from India) works well but this is very much thanks to AndyB_11 who very kindly made me a fresh (narrower) bar for it. Likewise, the Thunderbox to get power to the XT GPS device itself and to my heated jacket’s remote controller / tank bag, has been a good success. The adjustable side stand is good, as is the very simple Tutoro chain oiler; both worthwhile additions. My thanks to gspod from the forum for his recommendation of both of these items.

I haven’t yet tried out my Magadan throw-over panniers, though I’ll give them a go at some point.

* I have dropped half a stone from my weight gain of doing very little through the last six or more months, so it’s a reward to myself.

Back
Top Bottom