550 'service/replacement' no longer

Sunny Jim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Called garmin today with power problem hoping they would tell me to send it in for a service/replacement to be told this service is no longer available:mad:

As far as I'm concerned ... Today :-( (not sure to be honest but I can only assume very recently as the chap at garmin only found out when he began processing my request)

As far as I'm concerned ... Today :-( (not sure to be honest but I can only assume very recently as the chap at garmin only found out when he began processing my request)
As far as I’m concerned it was in force earlier this month (this from over two weeks ago):
My Garmin experience today:

My 550 will only show the logo screen for about 8 seconds before switching itself off and if plugged into the computer it’ll go as far as “Preparing to enter USB mass storage mode/ saving all waypoints...in GPX mode 1%” then it freezes...

Having read this thread I joined Zumo forums, read all I could and tried all suggestions but no joy. So I phone Garmin UK and, after 48 minutes on hold, I got to speak to a guy who diagnosed the problem as being the battery “at least” as being dead. But that was the end of it: they won’t accept it back as they “Don’t have any batteries” and even if I sourced one elsewhere I’d “Be unable to get any further support from them as they don’t offer a repair on 550’s any more”.

I did ask if there would be any ‘goodwill’ shown if buying a new model but the answer was “Sorry, no: it’s six years old - if it was newer then we can do something but not for that age”.

R

I was very surprised too Ralphy .. That's putting it bluntly as well!!!

I was very surprised too Ralphy .. That's putting it bluntly as well!!!

Why, the 550 was launched 7 years ago, so it can't be supported forever Jim?

Get yourself a decent unit................a 2610:D

Plenty of 2610's kicking about for under £50 a pop, keep them running forever and a day at that price and they still perform best

Latest mapping vi the Dutch OSM system too

You are a tight bugger Johnny ... what about all this new-fangled stuff like Bluetooth (no - you don't get them at the dentist) :rolleyes:

Can still manage with charging it up on the mains - get lost for a few hours and then get it to point me towards home:aidan

I have spent several hours on the phone to Garmin this week. The screen on my 550 just failed, won't respond to touch at all. Took a LOT of persuading and escalating the matter but they're now going to replace with a 660 for £120, though they have none in stock currently. Have to wait and see if it actually comes through. Might be worth making another call.

The 660 are apparently discontinued so will run out of stock over the coming months leaving only their new model 590 (I think) and that's nearly £600 :O

A 660 for £120 is pretty good I reckon!

I'm tempted to send mine in (marked screen and one rubber button broken.

Al

Agreed, but you need to push to get them to agree an RMA replacement, their policy is not to now they no longer support the 550.

Back
Top Bottom