A Dutch bimble

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
it’s that time of year again, off for a euro-bimble, rather than a coddiwomple.

Meeting Euro/American friends in the Netherlands this year as part of our annual Europrez gathering.

Off to stay with my daughter today in Newhaven, then eurotunnel and up to Ouddorp crossing the Neetjle Jans project for an overnight stay before heading to Rhenen for a few days.

Will try and post stuff as I travel
IMG_3626.jpeg

There's some lovely towns and villages in the Netherlands, but I don't think it's suited to a motorcycle touring holiday. I found it frustrating riding about, with all the traffic calming, speed cameras and low speed limits. I have relatives in Rotterdam and Terneusen that I visit, I go on the bike as it's a bit cheaper than taking the car and it's easier to park up where I stay.
Have a great trip, I hope the weather keeps good.

Indeed, have to agree with FatAl, Holland has some nice villages to visit but for a motorbiking holiday, give it a miss and head east to Germany. Don't want to discourage you Orinoco so if you're looking for some tips drop me a line. Actually heading north from the Belgium border through Zeeland across the western islands is OK but yes, speed bumps, cameras and every obstacle to get you to stick the the speed limits are there. If you want to see a nicer part of Holland head eastwards or South East to Limburg.

I just got back from a cycling trip to Oudenaarde, just south of Ghent. I know that's not the Netherlands, but we're in the same region.

What it DOES have going for it,
  • Fabulous old town squares with cracking restaurants
  • Some of the most iconic climbs (if you're into cycling) like the Koppenburg, from the Tour of Flanders
  • Even if you have no interest in cycling these are interesting climbs and the topography - after the 150km of pan flat roads since Calias - is undulating and very attractive
  • The network of hundreds of Kms of cobbled roads that criss cross the countryside and which make great green laning. Perfect for a Himmy.
This bit of Benelux is not so well known, but has plenty going for it.

Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture5.jpg

First stop an empty Loomies Cafe, not stopped at this biker mates café before, looks to be the usual fare. Quite glad there are no biker’s here :D

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 21
Thanks FatAl and Grantmac, I’m meeting friends, so pretty much it’s a given being there, hopefully we’ll find some good places to go. Yes, South Limburg would be my choice, I used to live there many years ago.

Anyway, todays jaunt across the south of England, it’s always lovely to travel through, so many beautiful villages. A lunch stop in Pulborough to see a friend for lunch and a trip in his just rebuilt Aston Martin DBR1 replica, it was a brutal thing, really raw motoring, but fabulous if a bit scary. It was rebuilt following an engine fire, so taking it out for a spin was a big deal
IMG_3628.jpegIMG_3633.jpeg

Then on to Newhaven, via Aldi as my daughter had asked for some shopping!
Some confusion on my route at Pyecombe just north of Brighton, Garmin says turn left, but I had to stop and check on the List of Streets that the blocked off road was legal, all good, but blocked to most traffic, weird.
IMG_3634.jpeg

The exciting stuff hopefully starts tomorrow 😀

At eurotunnel now, almost deserted! They’ve put me in a separate que to the two GS’s😂

IMG_3641.jpeg
Stopped at the Airport Cafe in Lympne on the A20, a decent bacon sandwich but crap coffee
IMG_3639.jpeg

Seems I’m not on the next crossing, but the one after. Shame as there’s only the two GSs on the next crossing… moan over

Last edited:
Handy for the toilets, too. A bonus after a certain age, no doubt.

img_3639-jpeg.270226

I’ll leave it to others to critique:

a, The cost of each item, as shown on the receipt.

b. The quality (or otherwise) of the bacon sandwich.

Well, a sort of result, allowed on the earlier crossing, but left 10 mins later than scheduled, but good nonetheless. Wasn’t bad waiting, 22 degrees and overcast, perfect for riding... and waiting

I decided on the usual dash up the motorway to Brugge, then through the centre of Brugge which was entertaining. Not planned, but Garmin doesn’t like the MRA tracks I’ve imported. I’ll have to reread Wapping’s posts on how to do routes. Managed to find my way to Sluis on the Dutch border, which appeared quite lively, in that it looks to be full of Dutch and Belgian pensioners enjoying the restaurants and eating ice creams, so I blended in beautifully., lots of water as, err, you'd expect with it being in Holland and called Sluis.

IMG_3646.jpeg

I had coffee and cake, warm apple tart mit slaagroom, to be fair, it was the only thing I recognised on the menu and didn't thin to use Google Translate on the menu

IMG_3648.jpeg

Then on north through a very long tunnel, 6.6km and onto Middelburg and the Dutch sea defence project at Neetlje Jans, impressive but very, very flat, Garmin told me I was -15m underwater most of the time on the road through.

IMG_3651.jpeg

IMG_3652.jpeg

Did I mention it's flat, so very very flat. Glad the breeze was from the south and behind me, it must be punishing out here on a cold windy night. The sluice gates are massive, (the predictive spell checker thinks sluice should be 'sauce', that's amusing.

I found my B&B with no problem, De Smousenhaus in Ouddorp, which seems fine, very steep stairs, which I'm told is a Dutch thing, making use of every bit of space in the house.

IMG_3658.jpeg

I showered and went for a wander around Ouddorp, there's not much to it, but a pleasant little town, centred on a church and square with restaurants and bars in the middle. I've not had a Dutch pancake in years, so that was dinner, though I also now remember why I've not had one in years, nothing special, a Dutch version of pizza really. Rain's forecast tonight here, so I bought an ice cream, a couple of bottles of beer for the evening and back to B&B as Billy No Mates. Hopefully dry in the morning

As a PS, I’d forgotten what a joy riding through Sussex and Kent can be, leafy villages, country pubs, village greens and nothing more taxing than waiting for a railway crossing to lift in some remote part.

Great thread and pictures,have ridden in the Netherlands several times,visited the bridge and little museum at Arnhem,met a lovely local guy there called Sam Rubens who remembered it during the war,had a great chat with him and he gave me a flag which I still have somewhere.

The Airbornemuseum at Oosterbeek,not far from the bridge,is well worth a visit.

Anyway,have a great trip and thanks for bringing back some good memories!!

Kimbo

Reactions: DC
….very steep stairs, which I'm told is a Dutch thing, making use of every bit of space in the house.

A few hundred years ago, the Dutch introduced a property tax. The tax threshold was based on the width of the property, so the locals started to build their houses much narrower and taller, which required steeper and narrower stairs. In a way, it was their version of the windows tax, here at home, which saw magnates bricking up windows.

One oddity to look out for is a tulip bulb, crowning some older properties. This harks back to the explosion in demand for tulip bulbs, which lead to fortunes being made and lost. Make a fortune? Then crown your property with a tulip bulb.

Day two or is it three, I even had to check my phone this morning to remind myself it was Wednesday and not Tuesday, a good sign I think, though it maybe just the tiredness I get when travelling. Anyone else the same? In my youth I could travel for miles and not be tired, these days a day out on the bike leaves me exhausted!

Anyway, up earlyish to try and sort out the blessed sat nav woes, redid the route in MRA, exported as a track, imported into Basecamp, then created a route sitting on top of the track as I don't trust MRA imports any more and finally transferred to the Garmin (Zumo 346), looked fine, but it still played merry hell with me today. More of that later. During breakfast found there were several other guests, including a lovely young lady over from Oz to do a Masters in cycling in Amsterdam, arrived in London last week and decided to cycle to Amsterdam, definitely the place for cycling, bikes everywhere, seems they have priority pretty much everywhere too.

Breakfast, sorry chaps no photo of the young lady

IMG_3661.jpeg

After breakfast set off on my planned route, heading south east on Goeree-Overflakke island, along some flat, straight roads, towards the crossing off the island, but the motorway junction going north is closed, [There follows a long moan] Mrs Garmin didn't warn me, my fault, I was so focussed on the screen route I hadn't been paying attention to the road signs, which to be fair are in (double) Dutch, but after I'd turned around, 8Km down the road, travelled 8k back, them 8k back again, realised what had happened, I was not happy. Not least as the N road I'd been on and of course the motorways have no way off and nothing around them, it's a very rural part of Holland. So a detour south, then east, then north to get back on track, some of it was fun on the smaller roads, but a significant about was motorway, the Dutch do like their motorways ... and driving close behind if you're not going fast enough, was was generally the speed limit. [/Long moan off]

Eventually I arrived at Kinderdijk which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, lots of ye olde windmills, a fabulous sight. However I didn't fancy paying the tourist fee to visit nor the motorcycle parking charge, so sat in a cafe close by and admired them.

IMG_3663.jpeg

There were lots more, but the forum doesn't appear to like panoramic photos, so here's a close up of one, would post the video if I knew how.

IMG_3666.jpeg

Also, here's a photo of my coffee and cake...

IMG_3662.jpeg

Onwards, across the Lek on one of the little chain ferries, costing (I've just realised I have a new Apple MacBook Air, which is clearly a post Brexit version as there's no Euro sign, there was on my pre-Brexit MacBook Pro... Brexit grrrr), anyway it cost 2.50 euros for anyone that's interested, I understand that almost all the river ferry fares are the same.

IMG_3670.jpeg

I 'raced', a loose term, one of the giant barges, the like of which Doc posted photos off from his trip, they are huge and travel at quite a rate, must take some skill keeping something so large on it's intended course. These two photos are out of sync I stopped to take a photo of it some half an hour before I crossed the river, it had caught me up, clearly moving faster than my Himalayan!

IMG_3668.jpeg

What followed was the best part of todays ride which was a small road, on which motorcycles are banned at some times of the year and days of week, it runs along the top of the dyke, single track for miles complete with 90 degree bends and hairpins along the river Lek between Schoonhoven and Nieuwegein, well worth seeking out. I think it might also form part of the Dutch TET route.

I stopped for a late lunch in Leersum, and came across what I initially thought was a fresh fish stall, but as well as selling fresh fish, they'll also cook what ever you want, so I had deep fried herring pieces with 'sauce', the seller assumed I knew what sauce was, no idea, but it was very nice.

IMG_3673.jpeg

This was not too far from the hotel I'm staying in for the next few days whilst catching up with foreign friends from all over the place. Hotel 't Paviljoen, seems nice, here's a photo, I'll give a fuller review later as I'm going for a wonder into Rhenen, have a beer and relax. Plus I'm concerned this might all suddenly disappear as I try to post it on the hotels internet!

IMG_3674.jpeg

Excellent write up, thank you.

PS To save hijacking your own trip report, I’d suggest putting your navigation trials and tribulations into the GPS section. Someone will then no doubt try to resolve them.

Anyway, up earlyish to try and sort out the blessed sat nav woes, redid the route in MRA, exported as a track, imported into Basecamp, then created a route sitting on top of the track as I don't trust MRA imports any more and finally transferred to the Garmin (Zumo 346), looked fine, but it still played merry hell with me today. More of that later.

Great write up to read, whilst having my morning coffee. Looking forward for more of the same.

Ride safe.

EV

Back
Top Bottom