AA shocking !

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Auto renewal came in today. For anual, Multi trip, all zones comprehensive breakdown cover. Last year I paid £99, This year, £260 :rolleyes:
So, I phoned, as you should anyway, But mainly to ask why the shocking increase. The guy, British, instantly answered the call, and was very helpful, I've added that info as that's worth the money in the first place. anyway....... When I asked about the increase, he laughed and offered 20% off :wapping AA UK customer since 1999.
Ten mins later, I purchased the exact same cover, but through Green flag Euro cover, for £50. All zones Europe, Annual, Multi trip, Comprehensive. No Excess.
It just doesn't make sense, But does prove the point of shopping around.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-27 180520.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 180520.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
My Auto renewal came in today. For anual, Multi trip, all zones comprehensive breakdown cover. Last year I paid £99, This year, £260 :rolleyes:
So, I phoned, as you should anyway, But mainly to ask why the shocking increase. The guy, British, instantly answered the call, and was very helpful, I've added that info as that's worth the money in the first place. anyway....... When I asked about the increase, he laughed and offered 20% off :wapping AA UK customer since 1999.
Ten mins later, I purchased the exact same cover, but through Green flag Euro cover, for £50. All zones Europe, Annual, Multi trip, Comprehensive. No Excess.
It just doesn't make sense, But does prove the point of shopping around.
i use Greenflag for my cover. Best price by far, and better coverage too with regards to events, call outs, payments etc.

i use Greenflag for my cover. Best price by far, and better coverage too with regards to events, call outs, payments etc.
I hope I don't have to use it, But green flag do get good reviews. I don't understand how they can do the same cover, for a fraction of the price. I understand the UK breakdown, need to pay for their fleet of AA vehicles, But Europe, they will be using the same recovery breakdown companies ?

My LV Britannia breakdown cover is up for renewal soon. Did you go direct to Green Flag or use a comparison site?

I hope I don't have to use it, But green flag do get good reviews. I don't understand how they can do the same cover, for a fraction of the price. I understand the UK breakdown, need to pay for their fleet of AA vehicles, But Europe, they will be using the same recovery breakdown companies ?

I'd say it comes down to their smaller direct fleet, and they hand off breakdowns to more local companies. So they have less overheads from phone call operators, vans, mechanics, infrastructure etc. I've used them plenty and always had great service from Greenflag and the local firm they use.
I usually hear the AA/RAC sending out vans to hit their SLA, then leaving you until a truck turns up. With GF i ask for a recovery truck due to issue X, and a recovery truck turns up - whether talking to them direct or the company assigned to my breakdown.

My LV Britannia breakdown cover is up for renewal soon. Did you go direct to Green Flag or use a comparison site?
You've asked a good point here, that needs to be said.
I did go through "Compare the market" website. I did also go through the Green flag direct website, To check, 100% both quotes were identical in cover. And they are. However, The Direct route only offers a zero excess policy, where, The compare site offers both. A £40 per call out excess charge, and zero. The difference being £40. And, as I've never used a European breakdown policy, I've taken the cheaper policy, with the Excess ( I shouldn't have said that )

You've asked a good point here, that needs to be said.
I did go through "Compare the market" website. I did also go through the Green flag direct website, To check, 100% both quotes were identical in cover. And they are. However, The Direct route only offers a zero excess policy, where, The compare site offers both. A £40 per call out excess charge, and zero. The difference being £40. And, as I've never used a European breakdown policy, I've taken the cheaper policy, with the Excess ( I shouldn't have said that )

I asked as I bought my LV policy via Moneysupermarket. I'm hoping they offer a renewal price like last year, which was very good at £61 to include personal cover in the UK and a named vehicle in Europe. It was much cheaper than going direct. I've just heard LV are no longer offering the Euro cover on comparison sites so I might be looking for a new provider.

I asked as I bought my LV policy via Moneysupermarket. I'm hoping they offer a renewal price like last year, which was very good at £61 to include personal cover in the UK and a named vehicle in Europe. It was much cheaper than going direct. I've just heard LV are no longer offering the Euro cover on comparison sites so I might be looking for a new provider.
My wife Highly Rates Eversure. But they were more expensive, for identical cover. I tend to go for the more established Companies. With both AA & Green flag having good mobile apps.

My wife Highly Rates Eversure. But they were more expensive, for identical cover. I tend to go for the more established Companies. With both AA & Green flag having good mobile apps.

Yes, I chose LV Britannia as they have consistently topped the tables with Green flag for as long as I have had a licence in 1980.

We are with Rac,been with them for nearly 30 yrs,4 ppl on the policy,individually cover for any in car breakdown..

I always ring and complain and they always reduce the premium...

We are with Rac,been with them for nearly 30 yrs,4 ppl on the policy,individually cover for any in car breakdown..

I always ring and complain and they always reduce the premium...
Another good point. AA was Me being covered, In any vehicle, Green flag is a nominated vehicle.

Nationwide bank, £13 a month, AA full cover and, I believe, also Europe cover.
Also comes with travel and mobile phone insurance.

Nationwide bank, £13 a month, AA full cover and, I believe, also Europe cover.
Also comes with travel and mobile phone insurance.
I looked at the "Travel Pack" Barclays bank offer. £14.50 per month. Travel insurance and Uk & Europe breakdown. = £174.
I pay £12.50 per year travel insurance with "Coverwise" and £50 per year UK & Europe Breakdown. = £62,50.
Just hope I don't have to use it to find out why it's so cheap ?

I looked at the "Travel Pack" Barclays bank offer. £14.50 per month. Travel insurance and Uk & Europe breakdown. = £174.
I pay £12.50 per year travel insurance with "Coverwise" and £50 per year UK & Europe Breakdown. = £62,50.
not sure how you get Coverwise for such a price. £98 for me with medical stuff. Allcover were over £30 less

not sure how you get Coverwise for such a price. £98 for me with medical stuff. Allcover were over £30 less
Sorry, I Lied ! £9.65 !
Probably because I'm young & Fit ?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 10
Does that cover you for you being in any vehicle like the Nationwide one? Don't have to be a driver just in the vehicle??

The Nationwide travel Insurance is also worldwide family insurance and not individual.

Does that cover you for you being in any vehicle like the Nationwide one? Don't have to be a driver just in the vehicle??

The Nationwide travel Insurance is also worldwide family insurance and not individual.
I'm not sure, However, My AA account is me, Green Flag is my nominated vehicle.

I'm not sure, However, My AA account is me, Green Flag is my nominated vehicle.
Just done a qoute with Green Flag for personal cover on any vehicle called Europlus (with Personal Cover)

£128 (£28 is the arranging fee the cheeky sods seeing as I filled out all the form!)

I have to wait for Travel Insurance before I quote as I am having some skin cancer treatment and hopefully will be removed in 2 weeks time as currently they screw me

Back
Top Bottom