Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!

All that pissing about just to go for a bike ride.

All that pissing about just to go for a bike ride.

If you feel that way, why aren't you out riding instead of wasting time sneering about posts on a forum that doesn't interest you ???

If you feel that way, why aren't you out riding instead of wasting time sneering about posts on a forum that doesn't interest you ???

I'm in work. :p

It does interest me....fascinates me actually...how people will spend hours fucking about on a computer in order to go for a bike ride.

I'm in work. :p

It does interest me....fascinates me actually...how people will spend hours fucking about on a computer in order to go for a bike ride.

I'm not spending hours on a computer in order to go on a bike ride, I'm spending hours on a computer so I can fully utilise the features and fully predict the behaviour of the navigation system I have on my bike.

It interests and fascinates me how some folks will fuck about on a computer simply to contribute useless and inane comments, whatever floats your little boat. :thumb2

This has really clarified matters so thanks for that, really appreciated. You're obviously operating on a plane of Garmin usage I didn't even know existed, especially the auto switch from bike to car, no idea about that. One question I do have is about keeping shaping points and via points out of my favourites in the 590, is that even possible? I can see that there are going to be thousands in there before long.

One question I do have is about keeping shaping points and via points out of my favourites in the 590, is that even possible? I can see that there are going to be thousands in there before long.

Thanks for the previous comment - I don't often come on here, but I got an email notification when someone posts to the Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! thread - so I will stay tuned for any queries.

The route points are stored in the trip that you transfer, you don't need to have them sent separately if you don't want them - although they can be useful to have when away to build a new route.

But when in Basecamp, don't transfer the contents of the list folder. That will send all of the routing points separately as well. If you don't want them, the click on just the route rather than the list folder and select the option to transfer the selected item to the device.

Deleting routes is easy. I assume you have found that option in the 3 bar menu ?

But that isn't what you asked. I haven't found a way of deleting the favourites from the Zumo itself. But you can delete them when the Zumo is connected to the PC.

If you save your routes to the Internal Memory when transferring from Basecamp, then all of the transferred routes and routing points are in a file called temp.gpx which is in the GPX folder of the Zumo's internal memory.

temp.gpx contains:

1) is the list of routing points that you mention
2) is the list of routes that you have transferred from Basecamp to the Zumo.

Sending a route to the Zumo is a two stage process. First you transfer it from Basecamp, and the files end up in temp.gpx. Then on the Zumo, you have to import the route. This gets the route from temp.gpx and puts it into Zumo's active memory. If you ever delete a route, you can usually import it again, which is handy as you can have only 20 or so routes loaded at any one time, but you can have many more of them transferred and saved in temp.gpx.

So getting rid of temp.gpx gets rid of the transferred routes, and the transferred route points.

(All of this assumes that you import the trips to main memory rather than to the memory card. If you transfer your routes to the memory card, then the trips are saved in Garmin/GPX folder and the files are named individually. Route1.gpx, Route2.gpx.... and Waypoints.gpx, Waypoints0.gpx, Waypoints1.gpx.... You can delete those too. if you wish. I just load into internal memory.

I think I'll try to upload my pdf file to Issuu and post a link. It explains all of this with illustrations.

--------------------

In response to Tarkas comment. I agree entirely that it is a lot of pratting around 'just to go for a bike ride' - but generally speaking, if I just want to go for a bike ride, I don't navigate by satnav. I'll have it on, but not to navigate a route - I keep the trip logs to find out where I have been on the map !

However, I go touring in Europe and the places, the road signs and the language are all unknown to me. I like to find out which roads I want to travel for scenery, quality of riding etc etc. So I do the research over winter and plan alternatives. This doesn't take away the spontaneous nature of a long trip - far from it - I can set off and enjoy a good long day's ride on some of the best roads and with the best scenery - and not have to worry about where that brilliant road is. I know it will get me to where I want to be, because I have worked out how it behaves.

Following on from my previous post:

Here's the link to the document in Issuu

4 main sections. Its intended to dip into rather than read all the way through - but you can do that as well.

But when in Basecamp, don't transfer the contents of the list folder. That will send all of the routing points separately as well. If you don't want them, the click on just the route rather than the list folder and select the option to transfer the selected item to the device.

That's what I do, right click on the route within the list and choose 'send to device...', but I'm getting the via/shaping points in my favourites...

Stratblue set recalculate to prompted it stops the device recalculating your basecamp route whenever you take a wrong turn. Should you go off route and the 590 prompts you to recalculate select No.
Your route stays as you want it, unaffected, you just need to navigate yourself back onto it which is generally easy, but may sometimes involve stopping and zooming out the map.

All routing instruction will cease until you find your way back onto the magenta route. This is how mine is set and i always use the car mode.

According to JF above, the recalculation will take you to the next via/shaping point in your route, so should it not be set to on?

According to JF above, the recalculation will take you to the next via/shaping point in your route, so should it not be set to on?

We are both correct. It depends whether or not you want to keep the original route intact. Remember if you let Zumo recalculate, it will likely end up with different results from the Basecamp route. If you are careful about where you place your shaping points and via points, then this shouldn't be a problem - give the Zumo no real alternatives. But Zumo will use your riding profile and Traffic Trends (if you have them turned on) and also any smartphone traffic link that you have.

There's another solution to the one that Jersey_GS described, and that is to convert the route to a track with the same name in Basecamp. Transfer both to the Zumo, and then use the track app, to superimpose the track onto the route - you can even choose the colour. If the Zumo recalculates a route to the next Via / Shaping point, you can tell how far off the original it is taking you !! That is in the document.

Yes you are right, however i think it recalculates the whole route and not just between you and the next shaping point, also my experience has been, taken off somewhere i had no intention of going like straight down a motorway because its the fastest way to get to the next point.

This has happened on more than one occasion, stopping the device recalculating tends to keep your route intact and you going the way you intended.

I also create a track of my Basecamp route for reference and apply it to my 590 map this is a drawn line on the road of the map which shows my intended route so i am fully aware if the 590 recalculates just how far off my route it is trying to, or has taken me.

I know where i want to go, and which way i want to get there I don't want to be taken down motorways or through trading estates or onto town bypasses.

For me i prefer to be asked to recalculate and generally i select no and navigate myself back onto the route. unless i am hopelessly lost. Horses for courses.

Yes you are right, however i think it recalculates the whole route and not just between you and the next shaping point, also my experience has been, taken off somewhere i had no intention of going like straight down a motorway because its the fastest way to get to the next point.

All sensible stuff and I agree totally with all of your comments except the one above.

I am not saying I am right and you are wrong - or vice versa. But I have a niggle in my head about this one.

I have tried a number of times to prove this point to myself. I've plotted routes and followed them and deliberately gone off route in an attempt to make the satnav calculate something different beyond the next shaping point. And I cannot get it to do it. It has always only re-calculated just to the next shaping point (or via point). Always.

My niggle is that on one occasion, two of us were following my route around the Dales. I was using my 590, my friend was using a 595. We were in radio contact. At one point, my friend, who was leading, went off the wrong way. I looked at my satnav and mine was saying we should take that way as well.

I contacted Garmin about it. They were useless. They gave me the run around, but I persisted. Eventually they raised the issue with the technical guys, and they wanted the route and some other info and they tested it out. Nothing was wrong. They decided that there was a fault with the hardware and for a price I could have a newly reconditioned model as there was clearly a fault. - What, on two different unit following exactly the same route at exactly the same time ? I don't think so.

I thought about this for a long time and tried to work out where it had gone wrong. At one point the satnav had tried to take me up a side road for some reason, and I ignored it. It would have recalculated the route at that point. My friends did the same, but he ignored it and chose not to recalculate. But there was a shaping point ahead and I reckon that it should not have calculated beyond that point anyway.

So I went out again and followed the same route, and this time, I checked what happened. The route was not recalculated beyond the shaping point.

But when I arrived at the incorrect turning, it tried to navigate me down the wrong road - a shorter route, but a very narrow country lane and definitely not faster. I had checked before entering this section that the route was following my planned route and not this narrow country lane. It was as it should be - following the main road. Yet when I reached it, it was trying to take me down the country lane.

At some point it had definitely recalculated. But between checking that it was showing the planned route and reaching the incorrect turning, I had not gone off route, and the screen had not said it was recalculating.

SO basically, I am uncertain what was going on here. But it was soon after this that I discovered what was happening with Traffic Trends. Traffic Trends has information about the flow of traffic on particular roads at different times of the day. I doubt it has any affect if Shorter Distance is selected, but what if Faster Time is selected ? I tend to use Faster time, as the results are more predictable. SHorter distances tend to use unsuitable roads.

So I tested it out with a different route. Transfer the same route to the Zumo - start and finish - and the Zumo produces different routes according to what time it thinks it is.

So I have a working theory. I reckon that when you enter a new section (I assume between via points), if you have TrafficTrends turned on, then it looks at the time and then selects a route according to the time of day and what it knows about traffic flow. It doesn't take note of whether auto recalculate is on or off - my friends was turned off.

And this is how it decided to take me down the shorter, quieter back road.

But it is only a theory. Certainly I had Traffic Trends turned on - I'd never spotted it before or wondered what it was.

It isn't scientific proof, but since then I have had TrafficTrends turned off, and I frequently clear out the profile that it has built up about me. I haven't had this problem since - although I haven't repeated the same route to check it out for certain.

I still maintain that the satnav only recalculates up to the next shaping point or via point - not the whole route. But I am wondering about odd circumstances, and wonder if this is one of them.

nb - the route will recalculate as soon as it is loaded if the map on Basecamp is not the same version as the map on Zumo, and if you have the settings in Basecamp set up incorrectly - again that info is in the document.

Any thoughts ???

Hi jfheath, I don't know for a fact that it recalculates the whole route just a belief from continuously using a reference track.

Sometimes further along a route where it had earlier recalculated i get taken away from the track line/intended route between shaping points.

However there are some strange routing quirks (mentioned in other threads) regarding bike mode and this could be why.

I don't believe i have traffic trends enabled will check

Just checked yes Traffic trends is enabled so your theory could well be correct. Will turn it off too.

I think you just have to use more shaping/via points, I tend to put one after every turn and maybe a couple on the roads I definitely want to go down.

Hi jfheath, I don't know for a fact that it recalculates the whole route just a belief from continuously using a reference track.

Sometimes further along a route where it had earlier recalculated i get taken away from the track line/intended route between shaping points.

However there are some strange routing quirks (mentioned in other threads) regarding bike mode and this could be why.

I don't believe i have traffic trends enabled will check

Just checked yes Traffic trends is enabled so your theory could well be correct. Will turn it off too.

Aha. Let me know if things improve. I proved that the same set of points are routed differently at different times of the day - I didn't totally convince myself that this was the cause of my issue. Oh, and beware the battery going flat. It goes to default settings, and sneakily turns Traffic Trends back on again !!

Aha. Let me know if things improve. I proved that the same set of points are routed differently at different times of the day - I didn't totally convince myself that this was the cause of my issue. Oh, and beware the battery going flat. It goes to default settings, and sneakily turns Traffic Trends back on again !!

I wont be using the 590 in anger until June when we go to the Pyrenees so may be a while before i can give any feed back, I have turned off Traffic trends so hopefully this resolves the random taken off down minor roads issues.

Thanks for the tip on the battery :thumb and all your input it has proven invaluable :thumb2:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom