Alternator belt fitting

I did try removing the belt with the plugs in...no way! The compression on these big 2-pots is quite something, much harder to turn over than any japanese 4 pot, and I've worked on a few. Just whip out the main plugs first :D

That reminds me. I'd better do mine! You did mine about 26k miles ago!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Oops! I have just passed the 36k mark on mine on the way back from Switzerland last year. I don't think the belt has ever been changed! That's next weekend taken care of then!

I use a very long handled spanner on the crankshaft pulley, as I turn it the handle revolves around the pulley (obviously) but it also guides the belt over the pulley at the same time.

Would a slogging spanner work in your opinion?

Replaced the belt (still looked in very good shape, but I had the new one there already) and had to remove the bottom of the crash bars and the cross brace to fit my 34 socket and it was a bit of a pain... I was looking for something "thinner" to use next time the belt needs replacing, so I don't have to take the bars off. Also the handle of the slogging spanner seems like it might help to push the belt over.

I pushed it in with my fingers this time, wasn't as hard as I expected tbh, but still took a bit.

I've done HUNDREDS of them.

These belts generally NEVER snap. Unless they have been fitted by DIY bodge-monkeys using screwdrivers. Or if the alternator bearing is failing and starts jamming which snags it.

If you have the proper tool its REALLY easy.

You remove the spark plugs to reduce engine compression. Use a long-handle ratchet on the socket. Turning the crank clock-wise. Standing on the LH side of the bike. You start with fitting the belt to the top pully and then slide the belt over the tool. You generally have to turn the crank two full rotations to get it to seat. Hold the tool onto the pully to keep it square.

The first rotation gets it 3-4 onto the pully. The second rotation takes in on all the way.

I fitted a Bosch alternator on my 2006 1200GS, the Denso unit it replaced had a much bigger pulley, so maybe that is why some says its easy, and others the opposite?
I fitted a new Continental ELAST belt as well, it says 594 and 611...is this belt longer and more 'stretchable' than the BMW one? Went on very easily, didn't even remove the plugs.
And...the alternator was off a 1200RT, I was told it wouldn't work. I removed the Denso pigtail off the bike loom, and found the correct Bosch connector. Wiring has 2 wires, the Denso has 4 wires, yet you only need the blue wire! Just plug in the connector, the unused wire just sits in the housing out of harms way...very easy job after hours of searching online.

Replaced the belt (still looked in very good shape, but I had the new one there already) and had to remove the bottom of the crash bars and the cross brace to fit my 34 socket and it was a bit of a pain... I was looking for something "thinner" to use next time the belt needs replacing, so I don't have to take the bars off. Also the handle of the slogging spanner seems like it might help to push the belt over.

I pushed it in with my fingers this time, wasn't as hard as I expected tbh, but still took a bit.

Have literally just done this with standard 34mm ring…

I used a standard ring spanner…with plugs out…

Yep, plugs were out.
I’ll use a ring spanner instead of the socket wrench next time. Being “attached to” or flush to the pulley will help pushing the belt down as you rotate.

I use a very long handled spanner on the crankshaft pulley, as I turn it the handle revolves around the pulley (obviously) but it also guides the belt over the pulley at the same time. Takes 30 seconds, and I’ve done hundreds of them over the years,
This method worked for me.

Pretty easy with thus technique.

This is mine. 60K KM 2008.
400c46aa5f6d06193cd46f5d327ab0f5.png

This is mine. 60K KM 2008.
400c46aa5f6d06193cd46f5d327ab0f5.png
that's how you want it - so when the alternator seizes, its snaps and you drive home on what's left in the battery with a smile on your face...

service it "correctly" with a new belt and the breakdown services make money - and 3 hours of your life have been stolen

don't forget we are 60 years in to a destroy the country plan - a small element in their take over the world 150 year plan, which ends this year (and if honest that look like its tracking perfectly) hence they have most avenues sown up

that's how you want it - so when the alternator seizes, its snaps and you drive home on what's left in the battery with a smile on your face...

service it "correctly" with a new belt and the breakdown services make money - and 3 hours of your life have been stolen

don't forget we are 60 years in to a destroy the country plan - a small element in their take over the world 150 year plan, which ends this year (and if honest that look like its tracking perfectly) hence they have most avenues sown up

Have you been spending time with Att/Josè ?🤣

Back
Top Bottom