Anakee to ContiTrailAttack 3 DO IT NOW!

You'd be surprised at how many people can and do ride the tyres to the edge of grip.
It is not done very often and only in the right places. If it is done correctly it not a sudden loss of grip, no different to driving a car quickly, just a bit of vagueness as the tyres talk to you.
It is not dangerous and helps understand the limits of the tyres.

I love the Anakees on mine. For all road road use with some easy trails /gravel I don’t think they can be bettered. Haven’t noticed noise but I use ear plugs. I cane from pure road tyres on my 1200 but won’t be going back !

I have Anakees on my V85TT, so far they seem OK and well suited to some of the gravel and dirt covered back roads I often ride on. I do think they are noisier than the Avon Trail Riders I had on my previous R100GS and Yam XTZ1200 S10. When it comes to replace them I may well use the Avons again.

When I bought my used R1250GSA the dealer had to fit new tyres to it and asked what I would prefer.

Having seen a write up/recommend on here from Stick, I decided to go for CTA3 as I liked the sound of them (I was always running Pilot Roads before). I have done a fair few thousand miles on the CTA3 now including an initial lap of Wales and a trip to Italy and back and they are only part-worn and are probably the best all round tyre I have ever fitted to any GS I have owned over the past 20 years.

Cheers Stick. :thumb2

Having read the issues some had with the Michelin Road 6 I'm glad I moved on.

Last edited:
The CTA3 look like a road tyre with a slightly more aggressive thread pattern (for looks ?). Has anyone tried them on gravel - I image they are no better than Pilot roads, etc. I never felt confident on gravel with a GS until I tried the Anakee. I appreciate most never venture offroad but in that case I’d go for a Roadsmart 4 personally

Last edited:
I have Anakees on my V85TT, so far they seem OK and well suited to some of the gravel and dirt covered back roads I often ride on. I do think they are noisier than the Avon Trail Riders I had on my previous R100GS and Yam XTZ1200 S10. When it comes to replace them I may well use the Avons again.
I may be wrong and if I am, then I know someone will tell me pretty damn quickly, but I thought Avon had more or less gone bust and will no longer be making tyres? I think they are due to close completely by the end of 2023

I too like the STR’s, but I’m never going to see anything like 6k from the rear.

I may be wrong and if I am, then I know someone will tell me pretty damn quickly, but I thought Avon had more or less gone bust and will no longer be making tyres? I think they are due to close completely by the end of 2023

I wonder if the production will be moved to the far east? I've had Avon car tyres made in China, which pissed me off as I thought I was supporting British manufacturing when I bought them. I notice the Anakees on my Guzzi are made in Thailand.
Looks like it night have to be Conti or Pirelli. I'm wondering what the CTA3 and Pirelli Scorpion Trail II are like on knarley, gravel covered back roads. The Avons were pretty good.

I'm wondering what the CTA3 and Pirelli Scorpion Trail II are like on knarley, gravel covered back roads.
I have ridden a couple of sections of dry gravel roads on CTA3 and had no concerns, the tyre felt fine but as a 90/10 Tyre it would probably be awful on anything more slippery like mud, wet grass etc.

Back
Top Bottom