Getting used to 1250GS but the noise...

listermint

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New to the 1250GS Its a 2019 R1250GS HP immaculate condition just out of BMW motorrad. I've had it a week. Something i cant get used to
and wonder is it normal, Theres like a constant low scrapping noise or like road noise, clutch in or clutch out.

Its got the gold Spoke wheels and running ContiTrailattack 3 tyres front and rear (new)

Checked the feel of the front wheel off ground and seems ok, The front pads do have some low touching noise but seems normal based on youtube comparisons.
No movement or funny play that feels like bushings.

Just wondering is this normal? Is it road noise coming up through the open cockpit tunnel ? Havent had this in past bikes its always been something
like wheel bearings.

She was serviced prior to sale by BMW

Thoughts ?

Hmmm can't explain. But. I do have CTA3 and compared to some they are pretty quiet. My Annakee 3 were very noisy, but the CTA is mostly quiet...

I have a 2019…. The noise is incredible coming through the apertures on the front. I believe it’s road noise/ tyre noise. Some people fit blanking plates, I’ve chosen not to, more because I don’t want to interrupt air flow but I could be being over cautious. When you ride in the rain and it starts coming at you vertically through those apertures you’ll fully appreciate the amount that’s pushed through 😂

agree with Martin, i ran two pairs of Trail Attaks which were relatively quiet. has it got a mudsling / cheap front mudguard extension fitted?

my Michelins rubbed on it.

Barry

Got CTA3s on mine and although better than some tires they still hum on some surfaces, more so in long bends

had it with other tires too and on other “adventure” style bikes

doesn’t bother me at all

leadfarmer has just reminder me - my front one cupped when worn and was extremely noisy on french motorways - to the point i thought the wheel bearing had gone. worth a check.

Barry

May be just my brain bedding in. No such noise ln the dl650 although it didn't have quite the large opening around the shocks I suppose.

Il probably take the wheel have and check the bearings directly it may alleviate my crazy.

Other thing I noticed was the OEM screen isn't superb. Had a givi airflow previously and it's night and day. Felt the oem screen on GS directs alot of air at my chest area. Very little buffeting but alot of air to chest.

Ordered a small attachment so hopefully that funnels more upwards.

Do you wear ear plugs?
Not when I just got it 😄. Wanted to get familiar with its idiosyncrasies first .

But normally yes, in fact I use wired in ear seinheisser IE200 connected to my sena headset. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Haven't had them on this week purposefully to keep an eye out on anything right or wrong on it.

Same bike, same year, same tyres and yes, same noises.

As mine was the GSA HP it came with a standard screen fitted from the dealers. Fitting an Adventure screen didn't make any difference.

To be fair, I don't hear the tyre noise much over the din of the engine clatter coming up from beneath the instrument cluster.

drove me crazy, the tunnel amplifies road noise up through the bars, ear plugs are a must

Same bike here as the OP. Bought used in Feb ‘21 and running on Bridgestone A41’s. Dreadful noise, best described on here as sounding like a washing machine. Changed to Michelin road 6’s. Noise 80% cured. Oddly near the end of the Michelin's life the noise had started to return. A new set of Road 6’s cured the issue

Same bike here as the OP. Bought used in Feb ‘21 and running on Bridgestone A41’s. Dreadful noise, best described on here as sounding like a washing machine. Changed to Michelin road 6’s. Noise 80% cured. Oddly near the end of the Michelin's life the noise had started to return. A new set of Road 6’s cured the issue
Same here changed mine from Annakee 3 to Michelin road 6, noise reduced similar as above. Annakee's were really good tyres, but the road 6's are something else, really confidence inspiring.
Will replace with the same when they are worn out.

Back
Top Bottom