Any cyclists? - UKGSer now on Strava

Been doing some bike maintenance, seems there’s always something. In less than two years I’m on my 3rd bottom bracket, 3rd set of front wheel bearings, second set of rear wheel and freehub bearings, 3rd bottom headset bearing and don’t get me started on chains. I do use it once a week whatever the weather and it wears half mudguards in the winter.

No, I don’t jet wash it, and yes I do clean it after every dirty ride and clean and lube the chain. I also have a winter bike that sees most of the bad weather (it has full mudguards) and so far haven’t replaced anything except chains and brake pads.

What’s the experience of other cycling tossers?

Definitely something wrong there. I ride a CX bike (effectively road bike components) through sand and mud, 3 x per week year round. A BB lasts 3 years and I don't remember ever changing a wheel bearing. Steering bearings, 5 years plus.

If it gets filthy, I rinse the mud off with cold water and a washing up brush then re-lube the chain. Every month or so I run the chain through a white spirit bath. That's it.

Yes, using muc-off regularly. I guess I ought to re-think that one. I do ride the back roads and although it’s basically tarmac there’s a load of general crap and gravel, and the half mudguards don’t keep much off the bike, only off the rider.

I’m using an old rockhopper as my winter bike however managed to ruin my rear rim in the Surrey hills yesterday. Now looking for a mavic 26 cross trail or similar .

No problem owning up to muc off , I trashed two rear hubs using WD40, I thought i was completing a post ride DIY but in reality I was washing out the lube Shimano put in there to stay . Both muc off and WD contain fugitive solvents which unfortunately seek out grease, emulsify it , then wash it away!

Sounds like another thing I need to stop doing- I do use WD40 occasionally to clean the chain and cassette. :blast

Any of you cycling chaps got any advice re an indoor setup for cycle training (yes I do know I can go outside and cycle)

I don't want to splash a wedge of cash on something that may end up as a glorified washing drying line. I like the idea of an all in one, like the Wattbike Atom, but not the cost, in order to keep costs down until I know whether it's something I'll actually use I guess an indoor turbo ?

I'd like to use Zwift, as the training is mainly for mtb'ing and losing some weight - and zwift is the only application thta can tailor for mtb (I think anyway). And indoor cycling is at best mind numbingly dull, so anything that makes it more engaging would be good.

Any setup recommednations ?

For me cycling outside is not as beneficial, don't get me wrong going out on a Sunday with a few friends is great but being time-strapped in the week it's all about... Zwift. 1 hour on Zwift is 1 hour of cycling, no T Junctions, stupid cagers or pot holes to worry about, just focus on the freeride, workout or KOM...

I'd steer away from a generic turbo trainer which will bore you silly after 5 minutes and the Watt bikes looks great but I know of a few seriously passionate cyclists who just don't use them...go figure?

Zwift is exciting, gives you motivation and has a bit of a cult following all for £12.99 a month, not bad. I wouldn't worry about training for MTB inside specifically, any indoor cycling will not mimick the type of riding you do outside, it'll only increase your overall aerobic and anaerobic fitness which in turn will help with your desired discipline.

It would be handy to know what bikes you have now, and specifically if you already have a road bike or overall budget?

I have a Wahoo Kickr core (the budget version of the Kickr, saved about £300 over the £1k list on the Kickr) and it's doing a good job, easy to pack away over the summer if I go out more and no need to try and hide a Wattbike! I think I have done around 2,500 miles on it now.

My fitness increased dramatically when I got the thing, I'm generally fit anyway (15+ years of cycling) but this was another level - off to Mallorca next week and I've only trained on Zwift. Did the same last year and scored more PB's than the previous year... expecting more this year.

For me cycling outside is not as beneficial, don't get me wrong going out on a Sunday with a few friends is great but being time-strapped in the week it's all about... Zwift. 1 hour on Zwift is 1 hour of cycling, no T Junctions, stupid cagers or pot holes to worry about, just focus on the freeride, workout or KOM...

I'd steer away from a generic turbo trainer which will bore you silly after 5 minutes and the Watt bikes looks great but I know of a few seriously passionate cyclists who just don't use them...go figure?

Zwift is exciting, gives you motivation and has a bit of a cult following all for £12.99 a month, not bad. I wouldn't worry about training for MTB inside specifically, any indoor cycling will not mimick the type of riding you do outside, it'll only increase your overall aerobic and anaerobic fitness which in turn will help with your desired discipline.

It would be handy to know what bikes you have now, and specifically if you already have a road bike or overall budget?

I have a Wahoo Kickr core (the budget version of the Kickr, saved about £300 over the £1k list on the Kickr) and it's doing a good job, easy to pack away over the summer if I go out more and no need to try and hide a Wattbike! I think I have done around 2,500 miles on it now.

My fitness increased dramatically when I got the thing, I'm generally fit anyway (15+ years of cycling) but this was another level - off to Mallorca next week and I've only trained on Zwift. Did the same last year and scored more PB's than the previous year... expecting more this year.

Heard so much about swift, but never looked into it as I prefer outside cycling, however with the recent storms it’s been impossible to get out and swift as been mentioned.
What’s the basic set up you need for this then ?

I've always 'poo hooed' this stuff but that is an interesting perspective. I guess that I'm lucky as I can be on fairly low traffic roads withing ten minutes, I guess it's a lot different if you live in a heavy traffic area.

Interesting....:)

thanks, largely hit the nail on the head, I have limited time during the week and spare time can be v early doors, or late at night. with young kids going out to cycle at 10pm just isn't feasible.

my bike collection is mainly mtb, got 3 full sussers, but I did buy a Cannondale Slate late last year with a view of going out road cycling for training, but I generally prefer off roading, as it's just good for the soul and there are no cars to dodge. So the SLate would do for a trainer.

Budget - I don't want to spend more than £500, less would be good - but only if I can still get a decent set up.

Hadn't considered the ability to pack up the indoor setup (esp whilst it's summer - all 2 weeks of it) , think for that reason the Watt bike is definitely out.

What do you need in addition to the Wahoo kickr core ? Speed sensor, power meter ?

thanks, largely hit the nail on the head, I have limited time during the week and spare time can be v early doors, or late at night. with young kids going out to cycle at 10pm just isn't feasible.
Agree, not feasible nor appealing and it'll mean you'll always need lights to a varying degree.
I'm having the first child this July so Zwift will be my absolute go to! Goodbye life as I know it!

my bike collection is mainly mtb, got 3 full sussers, but I did buy a Cannondale Slate late last year with a view of going out road cycling for training, but I generally prefer off roading, as it's just good for the soul and there are no cars to dodge. So the SLate would do for a trainer.
The slate will be great on a Direct Drive trainer (rear wheel removed)

Budget - I don't want to spend more than £500, less would be good - but only if I can still get a decent set up.

You might be able to pick up a £500 used Direct Drive trainer, such as the Wahoo Kickr Core or just having a quick google, TACX do a model: Tacx Flux S Direct Drive Smart Trainer @ £519.00 via wiggle with 0% too. Reviews look promising. I actually forwent a new winter bike and financed my Kickr over 3 winter months which made me look at it as a membership and use it!

Hadn't considered the ability to pack up the indoor setup (esp whilst it's summer - all 2 weeks of it) , think for that reason the Watt bike is definitely out.
As with most things in life, I get fed up, it's nice to know you can put away and forget, rather than see an eye-watering unused asset hanging around.

What do you need in addition to the Wahoo kickr core ? Speed sensor, power meter ?
Most of the trainers no have everything in the unit now, for both the Wahoo & the Tacx they have built in power measurement within a few % which will also give you speed measurements and therefore remove the need for a power meter. I do have a power meter and Zwift uses that for my power reading but if then talk to the Wahoo to increase/decrease resistance on hills etc.
You wouldn't necessarily need a cadence sensor as it's not critical and can be added at a later date if you felt you needed it.

Otherwise:
- Compatible computer / tablet (Check Zwift, I use a mac)
- ANT+ Dongle unless you use the bluetooth - I use ANT+
- Fan
- Towel
- Bike
- Bike mat - I use old carpet etc to protect the floor if I'm not in the shed

I've always 'poo hooed' this stuff but that is an interesting perspective. I guess that I'm lucky as I can be on fairly low traffic roads withing ten minutes, I guess it's a lot different if you live in a heavy traffic area.

Interesting....:)

I'm in the Cotswolds and back out onto country lanes but Zwift still has a sweet spot! :D

Heard so much about swift, but never looked into it as I prefer outside cycling, however with the recent storms it’s been impossible to get out and swift as been mentioned.
What’s the basic set up you need for this then ?

Really just a compatible computer / tablet and a smart trainer or a dumb trainer and a power meter. Normally smart trainers either have a Power meter built in or a mechanism to estimate it within a few percent. A dumb trainer doesn't so you need a Power Meter to transmit real life data into the game.

A smart trainer (via FE-C Protocol) changes the resistance as per the game, you go up hill, say a 5% incline the resistance increase & down hill decreases...

I am seeing a different view of Strava today.

Where I am usually able to look at a particular segment and compare today's time with all my previous times, with people I'm following etc, that seems to have disappeared. There's an invitation to upgrade to the full fat version - has anyone else seen this?

I suppose I should upgrade, as I do get decent use out of Strava, but if I can avoid doing so for a little longer I will.

Yeah same here they obviously want some sponds it was a great free app, im also wondering whether to subscribe :blast

Same here guys , my pal sent me the link yesterday from Cycling weekly. Strava have done away with Premium or Summit as it was recently called. Now if you don’t subscribe you see your ride, but when you look at leaderboards eg UKGSER or followers or fastest this year etc you will be redirected to a subscription page.

So you either have cut down simple Strava or Subscription

Ive been a free user for over 5 years and thoroughly enjoy it, however everything comes to an end, so I have gone with the subscription at £46 per annum, 60 day free trial first. At undeR a quid a week Im happy, there are new features, routes , training trends and lastly my bike computer now wakes up and displays live segments whilst I ride............gimmicky yes.

i have just joined on the 60 day trial. its good gives more info and detailed too. The route user is also on. I am not interested in KOM times etc ,i won't be in the top ten. But I use it to measure my fitness levels with the Herat rate charts etc Its same price per month as a coffee and cake on a ride.

Same here guys , my pal sent me the link yesterday from Cycling weekly. Strava have done away with Premium or Summit as it was recently called. Now if you don’t subscribe you see your ride, but when you look at leaderboards eg UKGSER or followers or fastest this year etc you will be redirected to a subscription page.

So you either have cut down simple Strava or Subscription

Ive been a free user for over 5 years and thoroughly enjoy it, however everything comes to an end, so I have gone with the subscription at £46 per annum, 60 day free trial first. At undeR a quid a week Im happy, there are new features, routes , training trends and lastly my bike computer now wakes up and displays live segments whilst I ride............gimmicky yes.

I am with you Steve - a quid a week is worth it. (Compare that to a gym membership...).

I shall subscribe.

Back
Top Bottom