Bala or Betws-Y-Coed?

The Royal White Lion in Bala is decent enough and the Y Cfnod bistro across the street is excellent and pretty cheap too.

The Royal Oak in Betws is pretty good and has a big beer garden out the front if the weather is nice. The rooms in the "Stables" are newer, so try to get one of those. There's also a good little Indian restaurant just up the road from the Royal Oak.

If you stay in Bala, then make sure to ride the B3491 from Bala over mountain to Pentre where Mick Extance does his thing. It's a fantastic road. Not that there's a shortage of them in the area, but I enjoyed that one so much I had to do it a few times.

As other have said, the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel is very nice. Good food and it's lovely to sit on the terrace overlooking the lake if the weather is good.

Bala does look a little run down, and most of the pubs look rough as shit. Betws is much more scenic if you are taking the wife. Neither have a whole lot to actually do though, but I would definitely go Betws over Bala for a spousal treat. But try the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel if you don't mind spending a bit more.

Choose ‘Betsy’ for the buzz although will be busy peak times. Beddgelert is a quaint little village with some nice walks by the river and when the day trippers have gone very pleasant. I’d say access to walks are nicer from Beddgelert as Bethania is not far away for the ‘Watkin Path’ which opens up great routes for you.

I'd also recommend looking at Dolgellau

fantastic small town with great restaurants, great walk from there to Barmouth along the estuary, nice pub on the way too. Cycling at Coed y Brenin if you fancy. Bala good for swimming, and we often swim in a small lake hidden away near Maentwrog, go up B4410 next to Oakley Arms, past first lake til you see a parking area for about 10 cars on the left, park there and walk to idyllic small lake, you'll see a very small jetty at the end.

cheers ali

I'd also recommend looking at Dolgellau

fantastic small town with great restaurants, great walk from there to Barmouth along the estuary, nice pub on the way too. Cycling at Coed y Brenin if you fancy. Bala good for swimming, and we often swim in a small lake hidden away near Maentwrog, go up B4410 next to Oakley Arms, past first lake til you see a parking area for about 10 cars on the left, park there and walk to idyllic small lake, you'll see a very small jetty at the end.

cheers ali

Is it this lake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230424-202250.jpg
    Screenshot_20230424-202250.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 42
If your wife likes open water swimming, there is a long distance swim on Bala in June. Choose from 1 length at 4.5kms which has a train ride to the start then swim back to the visitor centre finish... or 2 lengths, start at the visitor centre and swim up to the start of the 4.5km event and back to the finish at the visitor centre. We provide the safety boat cover for the event. It is June 3rd. Love Swim Run is the event organiser.

Yep thats the one, not huge but very swimmable, slightly isolated and picturesque

Stayed here last year when touring on my K1600...

Highly recommended...

Country House Hotel in Betws-y-Coed, Snowdonia, North Wales

https://www.snowdoniahotel.com/

Just a short Walk into Betws-yCoed, it has an excellent restaurant & bar and is in a great location. Very friendly hosts.

As Mentioned Bala is a quieter "resort" were Bets Y is more lively. If I was going with my wife I know she would prefer Bets Y. Obviously you are riding or driving over, why not take some time to have a look around the whole of the area too, Including Anglesey, super places to visit around the whole area .... Just be careful of what dates you pick in May. early May Bank Hols Coronation , end of May Bank Hols Half term, these places will be booming. have a great trip

Lots & lots of really helpful advice & tips, TY again.
I had a room booked in Bala in a pub http://plasyndre.co.uk/ this was based on excellent reviews (consistent 10/10) but the consensus seems to be Betws-Y-Coed would be a better choice for the little lady.
I've had a look at most of the options there but I'm limited with choice as we're going in early-ish May so many of the nicer rooms within my budget are already booked.
I can get a room in a 3* place in Betws-Y-Coed, the reviews aren't quite as good but they're reasonable enough. http://www.gwydyrhotel.co.uk/
There are some excellent deals at the lake Vrnwy hotel & I have been to that area before & admired the hotel but it's a little further away from the area we'd like to be in.
Some of the other towns & villages mentioned also look lovely, TY everyone but again availability of accommodation and distance from our preferred area rules them out.
TY for the tip regarding the Open water swim & location, both useful & noted. :thumb2

Decisions, decisions. :blast

Lots & lots of really helpful advice & tips, TY again.
I had a room booked in Bala in a pub http://plasyndre.co.uk/ this was based on excellent reviews (consistent 10/10) but the consensus seems to be Betws-Y-Coed would be a better choice for the little lady.
I've had a look at most of the options there but I'm limited with choice as we're going in early-ish May so many of the nicer rooms within my budget are already booked.
I can get a room in a 3* place in Betws-Y-Coed, the reviews aren't quite as good but they're reasonable enough. http://www.gwydyrhotel.co.uk/
There are some excellent deals at the lake Vrnwy hotel & I have been to that area before & admired the hotel but it's a little further away from the area we'd like to be in.
Some of the other towns & villages mentioned also look lovely, TY everyone but again availability of accommodation and distance from our preferred area rules them out.
TY for the tip regarding the Open water swim & location, both useful & noted. :thumb2

Decisions, decisions. :blast

You taking your cozzie in early May? In Wales?:eek:

:D

Ha! She's been cold water swimming for the last 6 weeks or so and enjoys it. I, however, will be sitting in a small tent on the side of the lake, with a flask and a packet of biscuits.

Right, I've cancelled Bala and booked Betws-Y-Coed.
The plan is to have one day trying to walk up Mount Snowden and the 2nd day watching her swim at the little lake kindly recommended, with another swim at Lake Bala on the way home.
Thank you all once again for your help.

What we did once which was a laugh, was to get the steam train from Porthmadog, jump off at Tan y Bwlych station walk for a swim in the little lake (not far) and then jump on train back. Cheers Ali

Back
Top Bottom