Bike Shipping to Norway

tunnie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A little back story (sorry).... for my question. It's been a while since I posted, sold my 1200GS some years ago. But getting the itch again! Long way up helped (minus the annoying charging bits) the scenery is stunning. It's now on the list, but something a littler closer to home first.
I always had Norway on my list when I owned my GS, but, life and kids put a stop that. Also, to be honest, none of my friends were bikers and I wanted to do it as a group/pair of bikes. I now car share to work with a friend and we are both petrol heads. He owned a BMW K1300S before.

So, I'm wondering about Norway again!

However time off when you have a family to support is tricky, so I need to make use of all the days.

Sadly with the removal of the Norway direct ferry means much wasted time. (going via Dover/Hull, down and round) So I felt it was not something I could do in say a weeks biking holiday. Until I noticed quite a few people ship their motorbikes.

Has anyone recently shipped their bikes to Norway? I did a search and found some pre covid threads, but has anyone done it recently? Can I ask:

- How much did it roughly cost?
- Can you put camping gear and other supplies in the shipping container? (eg heavy stuff!)
- Did it work well?
- Would you recommend 5-7 days in Norway, or should I wait later in life when I could more easily do 14 days?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve only ever ridden to Norway from down here but n sunny Kent.
For a trip of 5 days riding I would probably investigate bike hire first.
You may have more choices of the area you can ride around that way too?

I’ve only ever ridden to Norway from down here but n sunny Kent.
For a trip of 5 days riding I would probably investigate bike hire first.
You may have more choices of the area you can ride around that way too?
Possibly a viable option.

See this vid:

They hired bikes from this place - at the time they had GS and KTM:
https://motorradvermietung-hamburg.de

Thanks. I'd not really thought of it to be honest. I guess it's that thing of knowing your bike, I've not ridden in a long time. I was thinking of getting a 1200 GSA for 5-7k or something. Then riding it a bit to get used to it again, so when riding those roads I'm more comfortable and familiar with the bike.
Not sure how transporting heavy camping stuff, tents, cooking gear etc on the flight first. The doing things of practice packs and small ride trips to know it all goes together. That would also be part of the fun for a me, doing a overnight practice run to Wales for example.

Hire a bike in the UK to experiment with first? Or just borrow a dealer’s demonstrator for a couple of days.

Why the 1200 GSA or is it the A (as in Adventure) that appeals? A bod has just returned from the wilds (it’s a relative term) of Morocco on something much smaller, lighter and made by Honda.

PS shipping a motorcycle to norway, turns up lots of ideas in Google.

Last edited:
Hire a bike in the UK to experiment with first? Or just borrow a dealer’s demonstrator for a couple of days.

Why the 1200 GSA or is it the A (as in Adventure) that appeals? A bod has just returned from the wilds (it’s a relative term) of Morocco on something much smaller, lighter and made by Honda.

PS shipping a motorcycle to norway, turns up lots of ideas in Google.

I guess nostalgia. I had a 2006 1200 GS, I had some great trips, Isle of Man, Scotland etc. But I always wished I went for the GSA. But at the time, they were just that little bit more and I was saving for a flat purchase at the time.

Now something like this is well within a budget. Start riding it again, do some work runs. Be confident and happy on the bike, before it's shipped out. I love the sound, riding position and being 6ft5 I found it very comfy. Other bikes I tried felt small and I was hunched!

There is also the dead money aspect of hire, but I know you could argue shipping a bike is dead money as well.
The dream would be UK-Germany-Poland-Lithuania - Lativa - Estonia - Finland - Norway - Sweden - Denmark. But I just would not have the spare time until the kids leave home :D - But having my own bike would support this, rather than a hire route. It also means I could do this bit by bit and warm up the wife to this rather than one big expense on a single trip. :)

OK, now it’s clearer as to the why’s and how’s as to the GSA, thank you.

Given the limited time you have available, shipping the bike makes sense. It’s not ‘dead’ time or money, as:

a. The bike is moving, without yiu having to spend time riding it

b. More importantly, it probably enables the jaunt to go ahead, within the time period available to you.

OK, now it’s clearer as to the why’s and how’s as to the GSA, thank you.

Given the limited time you have available, shipping the bike makes sense. It’s not ‘dead’ time or money, as:

a. The bike is moving, without yiu having to spend time riding it

b. More importantly, it probably enables the jaunt to go ahead, within the time period available to you.

Yes, exactly and it's in the time period I can set. Sods law the week I would want to do, the GSA's would be hired out that week or similar.

As I think more about it, the ferry back in the day was not cheap! Around maybe £500-£1,000? So if the bike shipping costs were on par with a ferry, then nothing has changed really.

Just curious to see if anyone has done this recently

Sods law the week I would want to do, the GSA's would be hired out that week or similar.

I guess you’d call up well in advance to make the hire booking, rather than just waltz in on the morning on the off chance.

Of course, it's more though that sods law, that week, probably school holiday week etc, when I could get leave, when the wife was happy, that week would not be available to book in advance!

A little back story (sorry).... for my question. It's been a while since I posted, sold my 1200GS some years ago. But getting the itch again! Long way up helped (minus the annoying charging bits) the scenery is stunning. It's now on the list, but something a littler closer to home first.
I always had Norway on my list when I owned my GS, but, life and kids put a stop that. Also, to be honest, none of my friends were bikers and I wanted to do it as a group/pair of bikes. I now car share to work with a friend and we are both petrol heads. He owned a BMW K1300S before.

So, I'm wondering about Norway again!

However time off when you have a family to support is tricky, so I need to make use of all the days.

Sadly with the removal of the Norway direct ferry means much wasted time. (going via Dover/Hull, down and round) So I felt it was not something I could do in say a weeks biking holiday. Until I noticed quite a few people ship their motorbikes.

Has anyone recently shipped their bikes to Norway? I did a search and found some pre covid threads, but has anyone done it recently? Can I ask:

- How much did it roughly cost?
- Can you put camping gear and other supplies in the shipping container? (eg heavy stuff!)
- Did it work well?
- Would you recommend 5-7 days in Norway, or should I wait later in life when I could more easily do 14 days?

Thanks in advance!
I doubt shipping will make economic sense for such a short trip. Hiring almost certainly better value. Of course, you may prefer to to have your own bike and swallow the cost.

I'd try Kathy at Motofreight for a quote of "proper" shipping and also Shiply.com for the cost of getting it moved by a man with a van. I had Shiply quotes recently for a bike London to Rome. In round numbers it was £1,000 each way. That should give you a ballpark idea...

I doubt shipping will make economic sense for such a short trip. Hiring almost certainly better value. Of course, you may prefer to to have your own bike and swallow the cost.

I'd try Kathy at Motofreight for a quote of "proper" shipping and also Shiply.com for the cost of getting it moved by a man with a van. I had Shiply quotes recently for a bike London to Rome. In round numbers it was £1,000 each way. That should give you a ballpark idea...
Some some calling around, this place will do it for £795 each way. But if you can get a group of say 5, can be £600 a bike. So looks like it's a good option!

There are a number of supply ships sailing back and forth from Aberdeen to Stavanger and Bergen daily for oil industry equipment. A small container would hold 6-8 bikes easy. Maybe give Pentagon Freight in Aberdeen a call to enquire....I know people moving to Norway for work have shipped them like this. Also there are a number of daily flights from Aberdeen to Stavanger & Bergen to pick the bikes up and go 👍

There are a number of supply ships sailing back and forth from Aberdeen to Stavanger and Bergen daily for oil industry equipment. A small container would hold 6-8 bikes easy. Maybe give Pentagon Freight in Aberdeen a call to enquire....I know people moving to Norway for work have shipped them like this. Also there are a number of daily flights from Aberdeen to Stavanger & Bergen to pick the bikes up and go 👍
Thanks, Will take a look

It seems a bit of a bargain to be able to ship from Ireland to Oslo return for 995 euro.
Trail / endure 450 cc or les no hard luggage 895 euro.
Certain dates ( July/August) .
This with www.overlanders.ie

Don't suppose they stop off in London on the way!
Tunnie, Overlanders are very flexible. I have travelled with them numerous times and more recently there have been more British riders shipping bikes than before. It maybe a Brexit thing but you should send a mail and see if they can accommodate you.
Bf.

Back
Top Bottom