BMW 1150 GS Adv - France / Belgium / Luxemburg

I still have Arsey's old Africa Twin 1000. The longest I've kept a bike. Bike before was 1150 GSA. You won't find that extra power you seek on the AT. I've no complaints and it will stop me writing cheques that my skill can't cash, but you do have to plan things out a bit. I sometimes wonder about KTM 1290s but I would get myself in the shit one way or another. I had a 1200TC as well - nice bike but ugly.

That 1150 GSA you had, was slow though

I made the switch from a nice 1150 I'd got into shape with many of the mods mentioned above (tyres, suspension etc). It was a really nice example and kinda wasn't sure about switching. In the end, I love the twin cam, feels like the best bike I've had!

But if you're into a faster pace, exactly as SiRich mentions above, even the twin cam feels sluggish if you find yourself amongst a pack of modern bikes... So - if pace is something you'd like - then the water cooled GS is probably where you should be looking... Or of course a Tiger, KTM etc.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I still have Arsey's old Africa Twin 1000. The longest I've kept a bike. Bike before was 1150 GSA. You won't find that extra power you seek on the AT. I've no complaints and it will stop me writing cheques that my skill can't cash, but you do have to plan things out a bit. I sometimes wonder about KTM 1290s but I would get myself in the shit one way or another. I had a 1200TC as well - nice bike but ugly.

That’s good to know and matches the reviews - ie AT is a great bike but don’t expect a riveting ride

Grab a late model Varadero, they’re uber comfy, great protection, brilliant engine, handle surprisingly well too

At UK prices you should be able to get a minter and have cash spare if you want to upgrade suspension or baggage etc.

Cheers - thought of that but a Varadero is a not so good 1150GSA… if I were thinking of a Varadero then I would be swapping carrot cake for apple cake, all pretty nice and similar

Try training beyond IAM. These people are a good starter for 10, a bit pricey but you get what youpay for. Best to do the 1 to 1 training. https://www.rapidtraining.co.uk/

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Agreed and I’m the bag as something for the future when I have lots of spare cash and time! But then again, I do have kids so who knows when that will be

You’ve only been away for a long weekend and want to change your bike…. Are you happy with it for the rest of the year ?

Ola Steptoe

Yeah I think in general I’m happy but the extra ponies has always been a thing

Prices are crazy so if I move it will be VERY slowly

I made the switch from a nice 1150 I'd got into shape with many of the mods mentioned above (tyres, suspension etc). It was a really nice example and kinda wasn't sure about switching. In the end, I love the twin cam, feels like the best bike I've had!

But if you're into a faster pace, exactly as SiRich mentions above, even the twin cam feels sluggish if you find yourself amongst a pack of modern bikes... So - if pace is something you'd like - then the water cooled GS is probably where you should be looking... Or of course a Tiger, KTM etc.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Cheers and noted

I agree and hence my minimum is a 2010-2012 version if I were to swap. Totally understand it wouldn’t be super fast but that’s not what I want

I love the GS seating position and my ability to commute even in sub zero temperatures, while also doing European holidays. Just a tiny bit of extra ponies and less weight wouldn’t hurt

But hasn’t he done nothing but moan about it since buying it?

Harsh but fair ish. I wouldn’t call it “moaning”, I would call it a discussion. Although I am getting old so yeah it could be a moan moan.

I’m pretty confident this is not the first thread along the lines of “yeah I have a 1150 and am thinking of a 1200”

Latest;

1150 GS Adv sold

Bought a 1200 GSA (twin cam, 2013 plated so it’s as new as I could get)

It broke down on me next day on the way to work. Stopped for petrol and it wouldn’t start… no joke

I sent it back, got a refund and am now looking for a replacement:

- 1200 GSA ideally 2012 ish

Tight budget so the usual shops selling high to medium mileage at £7.5k + ain’t doing anything for me…

Ideas welcome and I’ll keep looking, no rush, something always comes up

NOTE: Steptoe FYI - new owner has your details and appreciated the contact of someone who can help him if needed (I gave him your website link)

Latest;

1150 GS Adv sold

Bought a 1200 GSA (twin cam, 2013 plated so it’s as new as I could get)

It broke down on me next day on the way to work. Stopped for petrol and it wouldn’t start… no joke

I sent it back, got a refund and am now looking for a replacement:

- 1200 GSA ideally 2012 ish

Tight budget so the usual shops selling high to medium mileage at £7.5k + ain’t doing anything for me…

Ideas welcome and I’ll keep looking, no rush, something always comes up

NOTE: Steptoe FYI - new owner has your details and appreciated the contact of someone who can help him if needed (I gave him your website link)

Should’ve kept the 1150 Adv
We told ya
Those 1200’s are nowt but trouble

I'm Lucky enough to run these two at the moment. I've had the R1150GS since 2004 (it was two when i got it) and I've had the ATAS 1100 for about a year. I've done 10K in the year on the AT and 3k this year on the GS. The AT is a lovely bike but no quicker really than the old GS. I like the AT and have ridden it a lot and it is the ES version but it does not handle as well as the GS as you would expect with a narrow 21inch front wheel and 10inches of suspension travel at the front. Unless you are riding very smoothly and not using the brakes much on a spirited ride you will get seasick:) I was out on Wednesday with a riding buddy I've known for 40 years and he commented about how much more confident I was chucking the GS about. The AT beats the GS hands down regarding toys and safety systems and efficency. I can cover the same distance on 3 gallons of juice on the AT that would take 4 on the GS. Don't rule out an RT I had a 1200 LC for 4 years and that was quicker and handled at least as well as the GS.
IMG_20220929_141404843_HDR.jpg

I'm Lucky enough to run these two at the moment. I've had the R1150GS since 2004 (it was two when i got it) and I've had the ATAS 1100 for about a year. I've done 10K in the year on the AT and 3k this year on the GS. The AT is a lovely bike but no quicker really than the old GS. I like the AT and have ridden it a lot and it is the ES version but it does not handle as well as the GS as you would expect with a narrow 21inch front wheel and 10inches of suspension travel at the front. Unless you are riding very smoothly and not using the brakes much on a spirited ride you will get seasick:) I was out on Wednesday with a riding buddy I've known for 40 years and he commented about how much more confident I was chucking the GS about. The AT beats the GS hands down regarding toys and safety systems and efficency. I can cover the same distance on 3 gallons of juice on the AT that would take 4 on the GS. Don't rule out an RT I had a 1200 LC for 4 years and that was quicker and handled at least as well as the GS.
View attachment 265900

Likewise
I have a 1150 Adv and a newer Tenere 700, both have similar attributes and whilst the Tenere is much lighter and nimbler I would choose the 1150 - it’s more pleasant all round
I recently tried a 1200 TwinCam for 40-50 miles and whilst it had more go (25 more bhp) and better brakes it wasn’t as nice to ride as the 1150, the 1290 being very vibey & harsh and the ESA suspension was not a patch on my 1150
Modern isn’t always better …….

View attachment 265900
Cheers

I did try an AT but unfortunately… I just love the protection and sitting position of an 1150-1200GSA as I do my commuting all years all weathers. The GS rather than the RT due to then also doing dirty old farm trails. Simply put, the GS allows me to do both.

Likewise
I have a 1150 Adv and a newer Tenere 700, both have similar attributes and whilst the Tenere is much lighter and nimbler I would choose the 1150 - it’s more pleasant all round
I recently tried a 1200 TwinCam for 40-50 miles and whilst it had more go (25 more bhp) and better brakes it wasn’t as nice to ride as the 1150, the 1290 being very vibey & harsh and the ESA suspension was not a patch on my 1150
Modern isn’t always better …….
Yeah I did think 1290 but for all year commuting I felt it wasn’t the best idea

The 1200 enables to continue doing what I was doing, but with a bit more poke and a fair few kgs lighter. Any problems I either sort basics myself and also have Steptoe near my parents (guy who bought my 1150 goes to Putney sometimes he said hence Steptoe perfect for him too)

Should’ve kept the 1150 Adv
We told ya
Those 1200’s are nowt but trouble
But… I did enjoy riding it! A bit lighter and a bit more poke, a little bit easier to walk with it on my gravel drive.

Agree that it looks like nowhere near as bomb proof as my trusted 1150GSA, but I think the lighter weight and extra pole will suit me, even if it probably means extra trips to Steptoe each year!!!

At least being last of the oil heads means it’s still reasonable ish to fix rather than the new Liquid Cooled which can mean trouble

Back
Top Bottom