BMW Navigator V - space running out on internal storage

Pau08. Your MacBook Pro, if recent, will be usb3 and NavV does not specify its USB and may not even be usb2. Undoubtedly transfer to the USB card will be much quicker if the card is in the computer and for that reason IF you choose to upload new maps to SD card then do it to the slot in your computer.
Now a big negative comment re NaV V : why hide the SD card in such a ridiculously inaccessible location which requires a screwdriver for access? My Zumo had a fabulous flip cover for easy access.

Pau08. Now a big negative comment re NaV V : why hide the SD card in such a ridiculously inaccessible location which requires a screwdriver for access? My Zumo had a fabulous flip cover for easy access.

I must say that I had that same thought too. One assumes that theyhad their reasons, as it was in a similar place on the Nav IV, but there you did not need to remove screws to get the battery cover off.

All said though, I think that the V is just so much better than the IV - but I suppose it should be :)

To maybe answer the question.

I suspect it's because Garmin have now activated the BlueTooth file and route sharing capabilities. In theory, you shouldn't need to remove the SD card, ever.

The good move they did make was to make the mini-USB accessible on the outside of the device again. A penny to a pound says you'll use that connected to your computer far more often than you'll nee to access the SD card.

As a slight aside. When the 660 was launched there were dire predictions (many on UKGSer) that opening and closing the battery cover to connect with the USB socket would ruin the devices waterproof qualities. Of course it never did.

The only issue with sharing via the NAV5 Bluetooth is that it can only share data with another NAV5. Given the current NAV5 Bluetooth implementation for Audio Connectivity, which I've found to be quite flexible, Garmin's continued use of proprietary Bluetooth (like-device to like-device) for sharing data (Object Sharing) is starting to feel very 20th Century. :nenau

So, I've fitted a 32Gb card, updated to maps to 2024, used 2.98Gb on card, but internal memory is 27.2Mb free of 7.03Gb and I need to free it up.
I can't find the gmapsupp file mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'm about to put some big routes on.

Can someone point me to the latest thinking on this ?

Thanks.

I've taken what I hope is a low risk approach to start with. I live in the UK, so I've deleted non British help files, non British Keyboards, non British Text, non British Tracker, and non British Voice. This has made nearly 0.5Gb free, so a good start.

Back
Top Bottom