BMW Navigator V - space running out on internal storage

As you may have seen CarPlay as featured in iOS7.1 on iPhone 5, all car manufacturers will launch their own features to work with iOS7.1 which means you will just connect your iPhone to your car dashboard, CarPlay will be activated to display car-friendly interface display. I have a feeling that BMW may one day launch BikePlay for iPhone users wishing to slip their iPhones into a new waterproof housing for navigation etc. We may soon kiss goodbye to Garmin devices! It will not be long before iPhone 6 is launched with a bigger display screen which may be more bike-friendly.

My first boss was very strict on 'feelings'.

He was a firm believer that they should be restricted to the individual and probably limited to a narrow area within their own trousers, rather than shared.

He wasn't wrong.

NavV map updated successfully first time using Garmin Express, but in a roundabout way;
I selected advanced option and sent maps to Mac and it worked like a dream.
Then used Mapinstall to send map to NavV and got the not enough space message sorted by manually deleting Gmapprom.img first. I now have the latest map but for some reason Garmin Express keeps telling me that it has a map update for me.
I can live with that unless anyone has a good suggestion.
In hindsight a better advanced solution may have been to use Garmin Express to save to both computer plus Nav V because it'll probably automatically delete the old map for you.

NavV map updated successfully first time using Garmin Express, but in a roundabout way....

In hindsight a better advanced solution may have been to use Garmin Express to save to both computer plus Nav V because it'll probably automatically delete the old map for you.

Applying foresight, I think you are probably right.

I'm confused & a little concerned.
I've not connected my Nav V to the laptop for some months.
Am I right in thinking, based on the above, that when I do I'll be offered an updated map which won't then fit on the unit?

Am I right in thinking, based on the above, that when I do I'll be offered an updated map which won't then fit on the unit?

Nav V has an 8GB memory, should fit on. If in doubt just buy a microSD card.

I used Garmin Express last week for the latest updates & it deleted the old maps, then installed the new ones all in the internal memory of the unit, sorted.

Thanx both. I shall fire up the Sinclair Spectrum tomorrow, plug in the Nav V & see what happens.

Hmm.
So I installed a 32GB Micro SD card & plugged the Nav V into the lappy.
I then wento into the Nav V, F:Drive which I think (hope) is the micro SD card & created a new file called Music.
I then dragged & dropped a few albums into this folder & got a warning telling me that the Nav V was 'busy' as it appeared to xfer the happening tunes across. So far so good.
I then switched the laptop off, switched the Nav V off & back on & went into media files. No tracks appeared but to be fair no tracks didn't not appear either. I got a warning telling me I couldn't listen to music until I connect to an R2D2 headset (or something like that).
If it's worked it was a doddle. If it hasn't it wasn't.
As I don't have a headset yet (I'm waiting for the new Sena to be released) I shall have to wait & see. :augie

Then I fired the laptop back up, connected the Nav V & started Garmin Express. I looked at 'Device' & got a warning telling me the memory on the Device is almost full & that I should consider installing a micro SD card. :blast.
I was also offered the chance to install 3 software updates & a full map update. I've left both machines whirring & clanking away & will see what happens when I go back to it later.

I'm concerned having had the memory full warning thing that I may have installed the albums onto the unit itself.
I'm hoping for the best but based on previous experience with Garmin, fear the worst.

I'll post pics later to try & clarify stuff. No laughing at the music if you please. :)

Here's the warning about the unit being almost full & suggesting I buy a memory card (after the updates).

Not that I have ever done it, but can't you put the micro SD card into a reader, plugged into your computer and use that to create the music files etc? I guess that would be quicker and easier. The Nav V should pick them up when you insert the card into the device.

Possibly, if I had a reader, but tbh IF the method I used has worked it was a doddle.

Applying foresight, I think you are probably right.

I'm sure it must as I was getting the warning memory when I had the old map on there, before updating it to the new map.

Next job is to buy a DVD of North America & try to figure out how to get the map from the DVD onto the SD card in the Nav V (he hinted).

Not that I have ever done it, but can't you put the micro SD card into a reader, plugged into your computer and use that to create the music files etc? I guess that would be quicker and easier. The Nav V should pick them up when you insert the card into the device.

That is what I did, using the card reader built into the side of my Apple Macbook Pro. As you say, it makes it easier as you can just convert files to MP3 (if you have to), get them into a decent file structure and transfer them on to the card in a peicemeal fashion over the evening, without having to have your Nav V hooked up all the time. The Nav V recognised the music on the card immediately.

I used Garmin Express last week for the latest updates & it deleted the old maps, then installed the new ones all in the internal memory of the unit, sorted.
That's exactly what SHOULD happen, but in the mysterious world of Garmin, it often doesn't with the result that people report not having enough space cos it doesn't delete the old map. Do it manually and reinstall and you'll be OK. Its Gmapprom.img that you need to delete before installing the new map and that'll sort any space issues, but ONLY DO IT if you are having problems, i.e. should NOT be necessary in the real world. (If worried back it up first)
From past experience, when Garmin Express goes wrong, its best to remove it completely and reinstall cos it used to save install files within itself and confuse itself (that may now be sorted with latest releases so don't know for sure )

Back
Top Bottom